• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/771164#specs this is new and getting good reviews from the precision crowd. 150 ES is still going to hit a human size target within 600yds. I’m not sure you will be able to produce benchrest accuracy with the components mentioned in this thread. I’d factor in target size and distance before making an investment into a high performance chrono. Also scales have an error in accuracy. You could buy a few 1000 rounds of factory FMJ for the cost of lab scales and high dollar chrony.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/771164#specs this is new and getting good reviews from the precision crowd. 150 ES is still going to hit a human size target within 600yds. I’m not sure you will be able to produce benchrest accuracy with the components mentioned in this thread. I’d factor in target size and distance before making an investment into a high performance chrono. Also scales have an error in accuracy. You could buy a few 1000 rounds of factory FMJ for the cost of lab scales and high dollar chrony.
    I know. I'm considering downsizing on all my reloading stuff. I really don't need most of it. It was just for fun, but....kinda past the fun part haha. Will probably keep just enough to reload 300 blackout and maybe 6.5 creedmoor

Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Looking at reloading .45 acp, and it has been a long time. I have large pistol primer standard and large pistol primer magnum and Winchester 231 power and 230 gr copper RN. I am planning on loading them with 4.3-4.5 gr of Winchester 231 and shooting targets. What primers do you guys use? Thanks,

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Looking at reloading .45 acp, and it has been a long time. I have large pistol primer standard and large pistol primer magnum and Winchester 231 power and 230 gr copper RN. I am planning on loading them with 4.3-4.5 gr of Winchester 231 and shooting targets. What primers do you guys use? Thanks,
    I'm not a wizard at shooting the 45acp, but I do shoot the cartridge, pistols and revolvers. In my experience, unless shot off a Ransom Rest so you'd know for positive sure with your pistol, I've never seen a noticeable difference in primers in 45acp in MY shooting. In fact, during this long shortage of primers, I've been shooting whatever I had or could get (Win, CCI, Fed, Wolf) with no difference seen. The powder charge amount was the more significant variable for me. YMMV. I've had good results shooting Berry's plated bullets, 200 and 230gr round nose and 200gr SWC.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    @Metal Storm during the shortage Daezee mentioned we couldn't get small pistol. We used the small pistol mag in its place and in radar tests with the same charge of CFEPistol the velocity picked up 50fps. I would imagine you would get similar results with the large primers. Since you are at the lower end with 4.3-4.5 it wouldn't hurt to try the 2 if you have something to measure speed to see what differences you actually get with your equipment to make your decision.

they will both work with testing....I use large in the ones I make and use the mag in the .44 RM

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    If you load for a cartridge that has to have the magunum primers I would save them for that and load with just the large pistol. Large pistol have been hit or miss to find but magnum large pistol have been non existent. The 45 acp load you are talking about will be fine with large pistol primers.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I think my LGS has about 10 cases of large pistol in stock last I looked. I keep meaning to pick up a case to use to load the5 gal bucket of .45ACP I need to size and clean.

Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My magnum large pistol primers were used to reload 44 magnum when I had one.

For the avid .45 acp reloaders, what are some of your recipes?

Many thanks everyone!! Time to reload now.

Top Bottom