• 197657421_503239417539474_8516007496643573984_n.jpg
      197657421_503239417539474_8516007496643573984_n.jpg
      667.1 KB · Views: 194
    Last edited:

Sign Master

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is one of the reasons I joined - I currently own a ATN THOR 4 640 1.5-15X. Bought it and the extended battery that mounts to the stock. Looked through it quite a bit - amazing to see the heat signatures different machines, vehicles, etc have. I have not been able to sight it in, though. Their site makes it look like a cake walk - guess I've got the wrong kinda walk. Any help would be appreciated.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You are not just seeing "heat signatures". You are seeing the differential in temp sigs.
    Can you see a frozen water milk jug ?? ---- SAWMAN

Sign Master

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are not just seeing "heat signatures". You are seeing the differential in temp sigs.
    Can you see a frozen water milk jug ?? ---- SAWMAN
    Without a doubt - anything like a frozen milk jug or a hot water-filled milk jug can be easily seen. This has a "one shot zero" and unless your target has a hot or cool section with the rest of the target being the exact opposite, it makes zeroing in damn near impossible

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Buy a black poster board. Buy a roll of aluminum tape. Put a 1 - 2” piece of tape in the center. Put the poster board so the sun shines on it. I set mine 50 yd away from my shooting position. Set thermal to black hot. Set reticle color to contrast with the tape. Shoot for center of the tape and adjust sights after seeing where you are hitting.

I set my thermal sights for 50 yd, thus my Blackout is plus or minus 1” all the way to 170 yd.

Black poster board is heated by sun. Aluminum tape reflects sun heat and keeps cool. Thermal sees the difference. Patch holes in poster board with black pastors. Patch holes in tape by putting another piece of tape on top.

Easy...no carrying frozen jugs or hand warmers, plus you can PRECISELY sight in.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Without a doubt - anything like a frozen milk jug or a hot water-filled milk jug can be easily seen. This has a "one shot zero" and unless your target has a hot or cool section with the rest of the target being the exact opposite, it makes zeroing in damn near impossible
    That is how you sight it in with an extreme difference in temps. The zero will stay if you save it then the sight works as it is supposed to

Sign Master

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buy a black poster board. Buy a roll of aluminum tape. Put a 1 - 2” piece of tape in the center. Put the poster board so the sun shines on it. I set mine 50 yd away from my shooting position. Set thermal to black hot. Set reticle color to contrast with the tape. Shoot for center of the tape and adjust sights after seeing where you are hitting.

I set my thermal sights for 50 yd, thus my Blackout is plus or minus 1” all the way to 170 yd.

Black poster board is heated by sun. Aluminum tape reflects sun heat and keeps cool. Thermal sees the difference. Patch holes in poster board with black pastors. Patch holes in tape by putting another piece of tape on top.

Easy...no carrying frozen jugs or hand warmers, plus you can PRECISELY sight in.
    Since I own a sign company, I used flat black (background around target) to cut a target out of. I stuck it to a white poster board, though. Makes me wonder if I should just apply this to a sheet of tinfoil and try it again. That, or reverse cut the flat black, weeding out the target and appling it to some tinfoil. Btw, the peeled up corner is the transfer tape or premask

Attachments

• Thermal target.jpg
      Thermal target.jpg
      130.6 KB · Views: 152

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Just went thru this with the NV I picked up. Luckly this one has a daytime color mode. I won't bore yall with the details on setting the scope, but it has the same "sorta" one shot set. I'm guessing you know how to do it. Gun vise would make it easier. Used crap ammo to get it close, then tuned it with the good stuff.

Sign Master

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just went thru this with the NV I picked up. Luckly this one has a daytime color mode. I won't bore yall with the details on setting the scope, but it has the same "sorta" one shot set. I'm guessing you know how to do it. Gun vise would make it easier. Used crap ammo to get it close, then tuned it with the good stuff.
    Yep, I purchased a gun vice just for this, considering the price of the scope.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    One could certainly try a "reverse" what I do by putting a dark spot in the middle of a white background and putting it in the sun. I normally have my crosshairs set to green, but switch them to black so contrast nicely with my white aluminum tape piece in the middle of the black.

My FLIR does not have the one shot zero, so I simply measure the distance from the "bullseye" to where my bullets struck and "click" the sight movement the right amount. I then verify and normally another click or two is needed to center the shots onto the tape in the center of the black background poster board. I am guessing that say your bullets holes are a few inches from the center...in that case for the one shot zero, put another piece of aluminum tape over the bullet holes and move your reticle until it's centered on the 2nd tape, then verify by shooting at the center tape.

A problem with sighting in on a hand warmer is that the hot stuff inside shifts or dribbles out as bullets hit it. I am obsessive when it comes to sighting in, so I take extra ammo, tape, and pasters. I want it to be MY fault if I miss, not a sighting in problem.

Sign Master

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One could certainly try a "reverse" what I do by putting a dark spot in the middle of a white background and putting it in the sun. I normally have my crosshairs set to green, but switch them to black so contrast nicely with my white aluminum tape piece in the middle of the black.

My FLIR does not have the one shot zero, so I simply measure the distance from the "bullseye" to where my bullets struck and "click" the sight movement the right amount. I then verify and normally another click or two is needed to center the shots onto the tape in the center of the black background poster board. I am guessing that say your bullets holes are a few inches from the center...in that case for the one shot zero, put another piece of aluminum tape over the bullet holes and move your reticle until it's centered on the 2nd tape, then verify by shooting at the center tape.

A problem with sighting in on a hand warmer is that the hot stuff inside shifts or dribbles out as bullets hit it. I am obsessive when it comes to sighting in, so I take extra ammo, tape, and pasters. I want it to be MY fault if I miss, not a sighting in problem.
    Great points. I've sighted in scopes before, just thought this "new" stuff was interesting and want to see just how accurate it actually is (one-shot zeroing).

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Good luck finding one, though, as it appears they've discontinued civilian sales

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210718-182021_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210718-182021_Chrome.jpg
      276.7 KB · Views: 152
    • Screenshot_20210718-182029_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210718-182029_Chrome.jpg
      238.9 KB · Views: 135
    Top Bottom