APOD Firearms

Are you ready for deer/hog hunting this year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Im not ready either. Never got my stumps outta the way so I could plant a food plot. Never got my shooting house built. Never worked up my 357 maximum handloads. Stupid work got in the way lol. I ordered a crossbow yesterday. It should be here by thursday

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm heading up to MS Friday to finally get my food plot planted, stupid dry weather has caused planting to be a little late but looks like we can plant Sunday with rain moving in Monday and Tuesday. I'll also be taking my new to me Marlin .35 Remington and sighting it in with the new Nikon Prostaff 3-12x42 scope I recently put on it! If I can zero it in good I'll be using it for deer hunting this year if the weather is dry. During wet weather I'll use my cerakoted 30-30 or stainless .308 MXLR!

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm getting there, the friends I let hunt on occasion didn't show up to help when they were suppose to, so it's taken a little longer than usual. They've started calling and asking when they can hunt, I've politely explained that the people that help me get things ready are going to be using the blinds and that maybe I'll have some available slots next year, and that I'll let them know if any thing changes in the meantime . So it looks like me and my 2 year old grandson will be enjoying the box blinds . I suppose I'll have to let my daughter and SIL hunt some , but the little man and I will have first pick on the blinds .
    8C7401EB-092E-4AAC-86F5-D91C21BD43A3.jpeg
    p

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm heading up to MS Friday to finally get my food plot planted, stupid dry weather has caused planting to be a little late but looks like we can plant Sunday with rain moving in Monday and Tuesday. I'll also be taking my new to me Marlin .35 Remington and sighting it in with the new Nikon Prostaff 3-12x42 scope I recently put on it! If I can zero it in good I'll be using it for deer hunting this year if the weather is dry. During wet weather I'll use my cerakoted 30-30 or stainless .308 MXLR!

Viking-where do you go in MS? I usually go up North of Greenville.

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am almost ready. Need to do work on my one shooting house, and set up my ladder stand. But two jobs get in the way!

Also need to fertilize my food plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure what's up this year. We moved to Navarre and I was initially fired up to check out some new terrain. My youngest son was also really interested in trying out hunting; gave him his choice to use any of my rifles he wanted and was open that whatever he settled on would become his, or we would buy him what he liked/wanted. As we near the start of the season, we are both like, "Meh." COVID blues? Don't know. Somebody motivate me/us, even if you have to lie.

Never been in this predicament before. I'm usually one of the guys at the range in August getting ready for November and planning my life/work around the woods. Not this year.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Looks like I'm not alone. Need to build a shooting house or go buy one. Still gotta clear off a big section and cord the entry road. Put up cameras, etc.... got a new carb to install on the pink dino 4 wheeler.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure what's up this year. We moved to Navarre and I was initially fired up to check out some new terrain. My youngest son was also really interested in trying out hunting; gave him his choice to use any of my rifles he wanted and was open that whatever he settled on would become his, or we would buy him what he liked/wanted. As we near the start of the season, we are both like, "Meh." COVID blues? Don't know. Somebody motivate me/us, even if you have to lie.

Never been in this predicament before. I'm usually one of the guys at the range in August getting ready for November and planning my life/work around the woods. Not this year.

Force yourself to go out and get started, once you do you’ll rekindle your desire for the hunt.
    when my help couldn’t or wouldn’t show up I got down and out , but once I started I really enjoyed myself. I made some memories with my grandson that are priceless. I’m pretty sure he’ll remember getting the blinds cleaned out and putting corn in the feeders .
    0520A08B-A609-44A7-8FBA-787D1D4441B6.png

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Viking-where do you go in MS? I usually go up North of Greenville.

I am North of Jackson near Goodman just SE of Goodman about 4 miles. The Big Black River borders the Northern & Eastern border of the property, cool 580 acres of swampy hunting land to have access too, just wish it was a shorter drive! I went up Friday and didn't come back until Tuesday so we could get all the food plots planted, I know were late but the timing was right due to flooding and then no rain for a while. Nice thing is after we put the seed on the ground the area got about 1" of rain over a 48 hour period, that should be a good soaking rain to get the food plots started!

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks FLT. I'll get out for sure.

How old is your son? If you're in Navarre you have nearby access to the Eglin Range which is a nice place to hunt, there's lots of deer, turkey and boar! I hunt mostly in MS but still get my FL hunting license and my Eglin range hunting permit so I can do some walk about hunting until I find a nice spot to hang my climber!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If any of you guys decide to give Eglin a try,I have maps and first hand knowledge of RR211 coming in E from 85 and the Titi Creek area coming W from 285.
    I would be glad to help out as needed. --- SAWMAN

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am North of Jackson near Goodman just SE of Goodman about 4 miles. The Big Black River borders the Northern & Eastern border of the property, cool 580 acres of swampy hunting land to have access too, just wish it was a shorter drive! I went up Friday and didn't come back until Tuesday so we could get all the food plots planted, I know were late but the timing was right due to flooding and then no rain for a while. Nice thing is after we put the seed on the ground the area got about 1" of rain over a 48 hour period, that should be a good soaking rain to get the food plots started!

I know exactly where you're talking about having spent a lot of time in that area years ago. You need to keep this area secret, if the folks in Florida ever find out how nice the Mississippi deer are they will take the whole state over! Good luck with your food plots.

Reactions: FLT

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah I missed a big old swamp donkey last year, he was moving along a dike and I forget to take my safety off! It's just me and a few MS boys that hunt it, a good friend of mine went to college with the owner of the property and that's how I got invited to join them, really an awesome deal that should pay off nicely one of these days!

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I missed a big old swamp donkey last year, he was moving along a dike and I forget to take my safety off! It's just me and a few MS boys that hunt it, a good friend of mine went to college with the owner of the property and that's how I got invited to join them, really an awesome deal that should pay off nicely one of these days!

well, my theory is you'll miss more than you hit anyway! You have a good time and that's what counts.

Top Bottom