• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Not sure about the poly type. I had an aluminum one I carried with me on my second deployment in Iraq. I’m sure those more knowledgeable then will be able to give you a better answer. I’d assume it would effect barrel harmonics maybe IDK. I can say it served me well through a few fire fights.
    28893A0F-838B-459C-8D90-F48AAE48CD73.jpeg

wasn’t on all the time, easily removed, like a clothes pin. Stores in its own bag on my kit.
    This was the early part of 2005, yep that’s my high speed 65 lum surefire too. Long before the days of 1000+ lum light we have today.
    Damn I miss those days.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Moving the weapon up/down,side to side,and especially the recoil,will scrape/score the bbl of the firearm up TERRIBLY.
    I would never clamp something like this on a bbl of my firearm. Yours . . . sure,why not.
    A small (2") pic rail at 6 o'clock on the forearm is the way i'd go. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In general, they're for use against human targets where there is often a larger acceptable vertical margin of error and/or with burst/multiple shots it also increases hit probability in center of available mass POA/POI. The fixed hight it provides makes you position yourself to accommodate it rather than it accommodate you. The lower you target the more your exposed if bad stuff is coming your way too.

I think the consensus is 1. Avoid contact with the barrel. 2. Always have "soft" between "hard" support and firearm when possible. If so inclined to use one: the barrel clamping jaws could be dulled and coated multiple times in "Dip and Grip (TM)" type liquid.

It may well be a good trade off of some unencumbered accuracy for better stability. Results will surely vary.
    I don't own one. I do use stock mounted bipods and shooting sticks.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Moving the weapon up/down,side to side,and especially the recoil,will scrape/score the bbl of the firearm up TERRIBLY.
    I would never clamp something like this on a bbl of my firearm. Yours . . . sure,why not.
    A small (2") pic rail at 6 o'clock on the forearm is the way i'd go. --- SAWMAN
    Ah, I agree yes it will scratch up the bbl some, and I agree one on a small pic rail would be better. I didn’t have a pic rail bipod at the time, this was all I had and scratching the bbl was the least of my concerns. Op is asking about a poly carb one and that possibly may not scratch the bbl as much or at all. Would I put it on every rifle of mine, nope would I use it on occasion, sure would. A few scratches won’t hurt my tools. Like I say in most of my post; you do you and I’ll do me.

SDDEPOT19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but another option would be to install a free floating M-lok handguard. Then your options are only limited to rail space. Ive used a few bipods for range use and all whoch were awesome. The only thing i dislike is something making more snag opportunities.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    But sometimes you cant. sometimes an innovator builds it in. Yet another + on the SU16.

Attachments

• IMG_3575.jpg
      IMG_3575.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 274
    • IMG_6639.jpg
      IMG_6639.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 269
    Last edited:

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If this is for a range day I would just use a pair of good sand bags. You should be stable enough where you would be able to do load development

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    BUT . . . ? . . . the barrel mounted,high bipods,will allow you to use them 50shot,cool guy banana mags,that you have been saving to impress your bro's at the dirt pit this weekend.
    Go fer it. --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom