• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For those of you wanting to build on one of these platforms be careful and do your research. As most of you know the term AR10 is applied broadly across the board as any AR platform rifle in the 308 family caliber. There are basically two designs. The Stoner design, which is the legit AR10, and the DPMS designed AR308/LR308s which are most common. Beware, not all DPMS pattern rifles in the "AR10" class are the same or "milspec" because there is no Milspec for this rifle.

I bought a Delton DT10 (DPMS design) at the Pensacola Fairgrounds gun show in early 2020 because I've always wanted a 308 and wasn't sure how the election was going to go. Nothing special just a standard six position stock, Magpuls, and a 16" barrel with an A post sight. Not what I really wanted but my thoughts were I could build on it later now that I had a lower receiver. Boy was I wrong. Bought a Aero Precision upper, a 20" barrel, Strike Industries parts kit, and a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block and put it all together thinking i could just swap BCGs between the two. Didn't work like that. Everything goes together just fine but the Delton bolt catch doesn't engage. Didn't think that was a big deal and I could address that later but then it went from crappy eject to single shot so I blamed the gas block. Wrong! Put my upper on a friend's complete Aero lower and all is good in the neighborhood. Bought an Aero bolt catch and a BCG from Ballistic Advantage and put it all on the Delton lower only to have the bolt seize to the point of me having to put the rifle butt on a picnic table and use both hands on the charge handle to extract the spent cartridge. My upper works flawlessly on my friends Aero lower.

I'm not trashing Delton because the rifle looks and works outstanding in stock form but if you want to modify or upgrade don't bother buying it. They don't sell individual parts and they don't plan on it according to the lady that answered the phone.

I did buy an Aero Precision M5 stripped lower today from Brownells and as soon as it gets to Grey Man Armory my troubles should be over.

Their AR15 stuff is great and they do offer parts

Last edited:

Phantom006

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ALWAYS check Headspace.. ALWAYS.....
    AERO M5 uppers are”finicky” when you mix parts but outstanding nonetheless. And yes, research all your AR10 Platform components: DPMS HI/LOW,ARMALITE “A” or “B”, LR, RRA, LMT, Ask if you don’t know and someone with more knowledge will usually help out.
    ”A Good Operator knows what he does not know..”

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yep, got a handguard for my pistol build. Can't tighten the nut up enough to put the handguard on right, damm screws. Shoukd have gotten a clamp on. Back to the internet.

Phantom006

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brother, you can get upper receiver/barrel shims that will help you time and torque the barrel nut..
    about your request, what’s your upper rear tang thickness, “Hi” or “low”.?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Brother, you can get upper receiver/barrel shims that will help you time and torque the barrel nut..
    about your request, what’s your upper rear tang thickness, “Hi” or “low”.?
    Tried 4 shims, no joy. It's the high one. Was going to use this handguard but it would not clear the gas block.

Attachments

• 20201112_144053.jpg
      20201112_144053.jpg
      3.4 MB · Views: 120
    • 20210128_071558.jpg
      20210128_071558.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 117

dkdiver

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hinote thanks for the original post. I am thinking about trying to do a AR10 build and those are great things to know!

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I were doing it again I'd match the lower and upper from the same manufacturer.

And if you can't find an ejection port cover in stock don't put the barrel on it because you can't slide the rod through the back like you can on an AR-15. Don't know if that's a 308 thing or just certain brands but both the Aero and the Delton have to go through the front and the rod is kept from falling out by the barrel nut/delta ring.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    If I were doing it again I'd match the lower and upper from the same manufacturer.

And if you can't find an ejection port cover in stock don't put the barrel on it because you can't slide the rod through the back like you can on an AR-15. Don't know if that's a 308 thing or just certain brands but both the Aero and the Delton have to go through the front and the rod is kept from falling out by the barrel nut/delta ring.
    Slick side upper as designed by the master!! I do have a threaded barrel nut. For theTube type handguard but all the tubes ones I have are ar15 too dang small. Always something. I do have the correct dpms lower.

*** yall dig in those parts boxes!! Need a large size tube!!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Upper assembled, only had to use small hammer... kidding. Ill do a separate post on the build later. Pig is there if needed also linear comp.

Attachments

• 20210219_133123.jpg
      20210219_133123.jpg
      7.2 MB · Views: 123

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks good! Glad you got it done. I've been sitting on a lower for a while and Aero finally shipped the lower parts kit today. Don't know how long it'll take to get here with the weather but I can't wait to get this done.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Plastic primed bed lined and base coated.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom