• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m building a 7.62 x 39 AR and need a trigger. This is built as a rifle and likely will be scoped. I'll probably want a two stage trigger. Last few I’ve bought have either been Geissele or Elftmann, but it’s been long enough a number of other options have come on the market. Any suggestions on a quality trigger at perhaps a friendlier price point?

I’m not interested in any sort of fast reset or binary triggers.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    You're going to want a heavy hammer spring for the x39 primers. I wouldn't go with a light pull tactical trigger. PSA ept 2 stage first thing comes to mind. ALG. BCM PNT is a nice one but not sure if it's available in 2 atage
    I recently sold a lower that had a rock river arms 2 stage and it was crisp.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You're going to want a heavy hammer spring for the x39 primers. I wouldn't go with a light pull tactical trigger. PSA ept 2 stage.
    I recently sold a lower that had a rock river arms 2 stage and it was crisp.

Hadn't even thought about that. You probably saved me some range cursing. I'm sure I'll have plenty, but maybe not for the trigger. I'm not expecting this to be a tack driver, so an ultra sensitive trigger wasn't really needed anyway, IMO.

I see they have the Nickel Boron model on sale for $70. That may be it right there!

Thanks.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Elftmann has a 9mm specific trigger. May talk with them and see what they say about 7.62. I don't run light triggers in any of my ar9s for the same reason. They are PSA ept. Never a hiccup, just not your hair trigger in pull.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Elftmann has a 9mm specific trigger. May talk with them and see what they say about 7.62. I don't run light triggers in any of my ar9s for the same reason. They are PSA ept. Never a hiccup, just not your hair trigger in pull.

Yes, I have that exact trigger. I'm going to email a few and see what responses I get. Thanks again for light strike heads up.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I can order the Elftman if you're interested. The LaRue are a solid option for the money.

Personal preference, especially with sales, is the Geissele G2S @$115ish. Not sure the SSA-E is worth the extra $$ and I prefer the G2 over the MBT. There's a lot personal preference in these recommendations so take them all with a grain.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a CMC Trigger in one of my rifles, it's nice.
    Agree, have a couple 2.5lbs single stage, flat face in some ARs. Love them, especially for the $.
    OP, enhanced firing pin is a must and will help with light primer strikes when going to lighter pulling triggers. Taking the time to polish all contact points & get a mirror finish will help a bunch too.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agree, have a couple 2.5lbs single stage, flat face in some ARs. Love them, especially for the $.
    OP, enhanced firing pin is a must and will help with light primer strikes when going to lighter pulling triggers. Taking the time to polish all contact points & get a mirror finish will help a bunch too.

I've got an assembled upper with BCG from the mfr. I'll shoot it and see what I get. Hopefully supplied firing pin is adequate for the job.

Yeah, unless trigger's coated I'll be hitting contact surfaces with 5,000 grit diamond paste followed by a molybdenum disulfide rubdown.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've got an assembled upper with BCG from the mfr. I'll shoot it and see what I get. Hopefully supplied firing pin is adequate for the job.

Yeah, unless trigger's coated I'll be hitting contact surfaces with 5,000 grit diamond paste followed by a molybdenum disulfide rubdown.
    If if has machining marks, it may save you a bunch of time to start with 800 grit, then 1500 grit (wet sanding keeps papers cutting surface cleaner and works faster), then polishing compound. I've found that once polished I haven't noticed any difference with trigger pull whether oiled\greased or not. Grease \ oil does attract dirt and debris though. Trigger pull is both in feel and with a digital gauge.
    Just a little advice I can give with the many triggers I have done.
    Polishing a mil spec AR trigger cuts about 3lbs - 3.5lbs down for me. Keep in mind it will depend on the severity of the machining marks. The biggest change will be not feeling the grittiness anymore.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If if has machining marks, it may save you a bunch of time to start with 800 grit, then 1500 grit (wet sanding keeps papers cutting surface cleaner and works faster), then polishing compound. I've found that once polished I haven't noticed any difference with trigger pull whether oiled\greased or not. Grease \ oil does attract dirt and debris though. Trigger pull is both in feel and with a digital gauge.
    Just a little advice I can give with the many triggers I have done.
    Polishing a mil spec AR trigger cuts about 3lbs - 3.5lbs down for me. Keep in mind it will depend on the severity of the machining marks. The biggest change will be not feeling the grittiness anymore.

Yeah, that's my finishing grit. I do start around 800, depending on what I see under a loupe. I just prefer the paste over sandpaper. With a rotary tool, it works pretty quick to polish it down to a mirror.

The MBD just disappears into the metal when applied correctly. I think it helps, but certainly have not done studies. It does not attract any contaminants.

Last edited:

hkrandomnes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would say try out the Larue MBT-2S. Probably the cleanest 2-stage trigger, on par with the big G. Thats not even including the fact that they are probably the best value for the money triggers on the market right now. The curved triggers can be had online for $89 or less regularly. Easy to resell too if you don't end up liking it because of how popular they are. If budget isn't an issue then I would go with the Geissele SDE trigger, best all around trigger for the AR platform in my opinion.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would say try out the Larue MBT-2S. Probably the cleanest 2-stage trigger, on par with the big G. Thats not even including the fact that they are probably the best value for the money triggers on the market right now. The curved triggers can be had online for $89 or less regularly. Easy to resell too if you don't end up liking it because of how popular they are. If budget isn't an issue then I would go with the Geissele SDE trigger, best all around trigger for the AR platform in my opinion.
    +1. I have four Geissele's and the Larue MBT-2S is just as good for a fraction of the cost.

Top Bottom