• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iteotwawki

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am thinking about building a 6.8 for hunting this year and it will be in an area that requires a lot walking over fairly tough terrain. On my S&W mp I have a single point but it tends to bounce around a lot when moving hands free.
    What are your thoughts on best way to carry?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a 2 point sling and it works pretty well. One point is hooked on the buttstock and the other on the left rail as far forward as possible. I wear it where the buttstock lays against theright side of my chest and the muzzle hangs outside my left thigh. The asking hours over my right shoulder, behind my back and comes around the left side of my waist. Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4\

Edit: I wear it like this:

MagPul_Sling_SHOT_Show_2009_2_zpsfe5cf678.jpg

And it comes up and ready like this very quickly:

hqdefault_zpsc6606890.jpg

Last edited:

Iteotwawki

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the replies. Tenn that is what I found after trying the 2 point and still being able to use both hands for other things. Cc, I do not like the low sling as it tends to move around a lot and if you get on the ground the muzzle tends to want to go into the ground.

hukdizzle

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cam adjustment two point is my preference, specifically the VTAC upgraded padded sling. It's a hell of a sling for under $45 shipped from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Viking-Tactic...TF8&qid=1379554953&sr=8-2&keywords=vtac+sling

Here is my rig, the trick is to get the sling mount points as close to the rear and front of the rifle as possible without interfering with your hold.

Here is a vid showing it's various uses.

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The VTAC sling is really good. Check out primaryarms.com, they have them on sale all the time. I also like the Magpul sling. Single and 2 point in one.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What I meant was, This is a hunting situation, right? Long walking over rough terrain? Is it like Pheasant, where you're walking and will likely to come upon them at any time, or more like you have to hump the rifle from point A to point B and then hunt in a specific area?

IS a tactical sling appropriate? I'm wondering why, just because the hunting rifle is built on a AR platform, the sling should make a difference.

The only thing I'd be concerned with is, how will I carry the rifle most of the time and then, at the moment of the shot, will I use the sling or not.

Like a Ching sling has a loop where you can put your arm through and use the sling to make the shot, but that's useless if you use a shooting stick and that'd be useless if you're gonna use a bipod to shoot.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Cam adjustment two point is my preference, specifically the VTAC upgraded padded sling. It's a hell of a sling for under $45 shipped from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Viking-Tactic...TF8&qid=1379554953&sr=8-2&keywords=vtac+sling

Here is my rig, the trick is to get the sling mount points as close to the rear and front of the rifle as possible without interfering with your hold.

Here is a vid showing it's various uses.

This^^ You can use it as a brace for steady shooting, carry at the ready or flip on your back to pack out or climb...very versatile. Be sure it is padded.

Top Bottom