• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My buddy is looking at getting a .243 AR. He wants to be able to hunt hogs/coyotes mostly. I use a 6.8 and had suggested he go that route, he wants something that his children can shoot as well as him. He hasn't fired off on a 6.8 yet so he doesn't know the recoil, which I think is very light.

What I found out about 243 in the AR platform is that you can use an AR 10 build or AR 15. I'm concerned though that the pool is very shallow, not many manufacturers, less uppers and it seems like a very unique caliber in this platform.

Personally, if he doesn't want to get a 6.8 and is leaning toward the lighter side, I'd rather see him stay in 5.56/223 due to the availability of ammo and parts. It's also much more economical. I don't want to start a debate on different calibers, but I've seen plenty of deer/hogs and coyotes taken with the 5.56/223 when the proper ammo was used and shot placement is good.

What do y'all know about the .243 caliber in an AR platform? Any advice or personal experience and feedback would be appreciated, he's a hardworking LEO and I don't want him putting his money into something that seems like a very niche product and may not perform as hoped.

Thanks- Clay

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .243 is a great round. My sister has one and when she will let me I will pick it over my .270 when hunting deer down here. Now in the AR Platform I am not much help but the points you made were very valid. I honestly would just advise to possibly buy a bolt action with a nice set of glass on it. Making 300-400 yards shots with that caliber is a cinch. Only people I can think of the of for a .243 is DPMS and their's starts at $1,239.00. You might be able to build one cheaper but I think it would be a headache looking for all the parts. Get something like a Remington 700 SPS Varmint at $761 (MSRP) with a 26" barrel and could easily get a nice 4-12 power scope. Sorry I was just picking rifles that came to mind but I am sure you understand my explanation. But what are his applications for it? Night hunting and shooting multiple hogs? Or just the one hog to deer that walks out at a stand?

I looked at a recoil chart:

Cartridge
    Rifle Weight Recoil Energy Recoil Velocity
    6.8 115gr @ 2625 7.5 8.0 8.3
    .243 95gr @3100 8.5 7.2 7.4

Difference between the two hardly noticeable

Last edited:

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't have any experience in the 243 round either but have built several 6.8's and with the right muzzle brake there shouldn't be much recoil, just loud. Sawman might chime in on a device he spoke of (JP recoil eliminator) that might help also. Not sure how it would work on the 6.8 and if weapon would cycle correctly with this device.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    243 won't fit an AR15 mags, the OAL is almost .5" longer than 5.56., you can go from expensive like LMT/MWS to relatively speaking less expensive DPMS or Remington. From my limited experience they aren't worth the headache, I would stick with a more standard caliber in either AR15 or AR10. The 243 is a great cartridge though.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think it's a great idea.
    DPMS makes a AR10 upper in .243.

Personally, I'm a 6.5mm kind of guy and would go .260 or 6.5 Creedmore if he's not a reloader...

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like donr said, you cant get an AR15 platform in .243 winchester. You can get a 6.5 grendel or .243 wssm but you better reload as factory ammo is few and far between for both and not cheap.

If i were wanting an AR for yotes id look at one of the 18-20 inch barrel models from the various manufacturers. Something like the Rock River LAR coyote or X-1.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its nothing more than an AR10 with a .243 barrel. Since the .243,7mm08 and .308 are the same parent case it would be just a matter of swapping barrels/buffers around to have a badass multical platform. Or build uppers in all 3 calibers. All 3 are common hunting rounds so ammo is inexpensive and available. I've seen a couple p.243 builds that worked really well. Selecting a barrel with the correct rifling twist for the 95 gr loads would probably be a good idea.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom