• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now when it comes to the Barrel Nut, Hand Guard Slip Ring, HGSR Spring, and HGSR Retaining Ring.....Will a standard HGSR kit and standard Barrel Nut work with the pencil barrel or do I need a special one?

I'm sure some more dumb questions will come to my mind in the next few days, as I figure out the last few small details, and get ready to do my final small parts order.

Oh, just remembered I need to order a gas tube also.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Going to be like Christmas around here for the next week. I've got a total of 6 different orders coming in with parts, then I'll meet up with oneshot aka JJ at some point for the barrel and then off to get this puzzle assembled.

Can't wait, but we'll have company next week, and I have been asked (Told) by CINC Household to be sociable and not be off playing with the gun puzzle......!

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's looking like Christmas around here this week. Today I took possession of my complete lower, plus my charging handle, A1 rear sight, 3 prong flash hider, and my triangular handguards showed up. So two orders have shown up, and waiting on 4 additional orders to show up. I'll use the PSA (A2 style) lower until I find a more appropriate lower later, or I might leave it as is, since the ones I used later were mutts as I stated earlier.

20210614_161649.jpg

20210614_161733.jpg

20210614_161755.jpg

20210614_225953.jpg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Someone smarter than me will have to chime in here......everything I'm finding on the internet shows the A2 and A4 buttstock as basically the same stock. I'll compare it to the stock on my Bushmaster in the AM and see if they are the same.
    No, the color. Looks grey.@TackleberryMCS

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Ah, stupid me, I misunderstood you. Already thought about darkening the buttstock up. I know our early rifles had dark blackish buttstocks, but can't remember if they were shiny or dull.....
    What you bought is an A2 buttstock. You need a D type buttstock like I mentioned a couple weeks ago. Brownells retro stock (D type reproduction) is out of stock right now. AR15Sport is also out of stock of surplus D type stocks. US Collectors Ordnance may have some surplus D types, but they are not cheap. You would need to contact them to see if they do have any in stock.

USGI M16A1 Original Buttstock Type D - U.S. Collectors Ordnance (uscollectorsordnance.com)

Your grip is wrong too. You need an A1 type grip, not the A2. US Collectors Ordnance also has originals and are priced reasonably.

USGI M16A1 Original Pistol Grip - U.S. Collectors Ordnance (uscollectorsordnance.com)

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Standard weld spring, snap ring, and barrel nut. Remember, you want to use a flat slip ring and not the Delta Ring (tapered version). Brownells has the flat slip[ ring in stock, but it is black.

BROWNELLS AR-15 SLIP RING ALUMINUM BLACK | Brownells

Retro Rifles has an original Colt grey flat slip ring, but you may want to call about it.

Slip Ring - Origianl Colt (Grey) - Retro Rifles

How hard or easy is it to install the A1 style rear sight? I was looking at the pieces in the kit and wow there are some small bits, compared to my man hands!

Correct me if I'm wrong the A1 pistol grip has the hole, and the A2 doesn't have it? What is the hole for? Lanyard hole or something.

Ok found out the hole was for a sling swivel, but Uncle Sam didn't like it and wanted a buttstock sling attachment point.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    How hard or easy is it to install the A1 style rear sight? I was looking at the pieces in the kit and wow there are some small bits, compared to my man hands!

Correct me if I'm wrong the A1 pistol grip has the hole, and the A2 doesn't have it? What is the hole for? Lanyard hole or something.

Ok found out the hole was for a sling swivel, but Uncle Sam didn't like it and wanted a buttstock sling attachment point.

The rear sight assembly is not hard to install, but you have to know what you are doing and be patient. I have installed several of them over many years, but the first time was a little trying in that I had to figure out the best ways to install all of the little parts. The A1 grip does have a hole at the bottom of the grip and it also DOES NOT have a finger bump like the A2.

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The rear sight assembly is not hard to install, but you have to know what you are doing and be patient. I have installed several of them over many years, but the first time was a little trying in that I had to figure out the best ways to install all of the little parts. The A1 grip does a hole at the bottom of the grip and it also DOES NOT have a finger bump like the A2.

Again I can't say thank you enough for all your patience and help with my questions and my quest, and for the willingness to share your knowledge!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The rear sight assembly is not hard to install, but you have to know what you are doing and be patient. I have installed several of them over many years, but the first time was a little trying in that I had to figure out the best ways to install all of the little parts. The A1 grip does have a hole at the bottom of the grip and it also DOES NOT have a finger bump like the A2.
    Hardest part is that damm tiny roll pin, spring and detent.. Do it somewhere closed in, or a tray or big mat.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Hardest part is that damm tiny roll pin, spring and detent.. Do it somewhere closed in, or a tray or big mat.

What I do is straighten out a paper clip, place the adjustment wheel over the shaft, insert the paper clip to hold the adjustment wheel in place, and then, using a roll pin starter punch, begin tapping the roll pin in with a small mallet, thus pushing out the paper clip. The important thing is to make sure the rear sight is properly centered. You want to try and have the "1" on the wheel to be at the top (the hole for the roll pin would be vertical at this point).

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What I do is straighten out a paper clip, place the adjustment wheel over the shaft, insert the paper clip to hold the adjustment wheel in place, and then, using a roll pin starter punch, begin tapping the roll pin in with a small mallet, thus pushing out the paper clip. The important thing is to make sure the rear sight is properly centered. You want to try and have the "1" on the wheel to be at the top (the hole for the roll pin would be vertical at this point).

Found a walk through on installing the rear sight, going to be fun....LOL!

Here's the upper I'll be using, I have three more deliveries I'm waiting on, one of which is the receiver.

Plus I just put in an order for the A1 pistol grip....so technically waiting on 4 orders. Watching a few A1 stocks on GB......

20210615_191641.jpg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Found a walk through on installing the rear sight, going to be fun....LOL!

Here's the upper I'll be using, I have three more deliveries I'm waiting on, one of which is the receiver.

Plus I just put in an order for the A1 pistol grip....so technically waiting on 4 orders. Watching a few A1 stocks on GB......

View attachment 121788
    Looks good. It's a small forward pin one. Even better, less hassle.

Members online

Top Bottom