• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Found a complete bolt carrier group, triangular handguards, charging handle, slick side upper, 3 prong flash hider, green sling, A1 rear sight, ejection port cover.

So I need to find a barrel with the triangular handguard cap, and a non-F marked FSB, oh and the gas tube (If not on the barrel already).

Getting closer......

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Found a complete bolt carrier group, triangular handguards, charging handle, slick side upper, 3 prong flash hider, green sling, A1 rear sight, ejection port cover.

So I need to find a barrel with the triangular handguard cap, and a none F marked FSB, oh and the gas tube (If not on the barrel already).

Getting closer......

Gas tube will have to be bought separately. Usually, it will come with a roll pin. You will also need the flat slip ring, weld spring, and barrel snap ring. Usually, an A1 type barrel assembly will already come with a proper FSB, triangular endcap, and barrel nut. If the slickside upper is stripped, you will need a rear sight assembly. Hopefully you got the correct port door (small rectangular pad) along with the spring, rod, and clip. Here is what the port door should look like.
    003.JPG

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gas tube will have to be bought separately. Usually, it will come with a roll pin. You will also need the flat slip ring, weld spring, and barrel snap ring. Usually, an A1 type barrel assembly will already come with a proper FSB, triangular endcap, and barrel nut. If the slickside upper is stripped, you will need a rear sight assembly. Hopefully you got the correct port door (small rectangular pad) along with the spring, rod, and clip. Here is what the port door should look like. View attachment 120958

Nope, I didn't at first, but it's fixed now. Deleted the incorrect one from my shopping cart on one site and found the correct one, on a different site.

Thank you for that tidbit of information.......

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What amazes me is, I spent 4 months shy of 23 years in the Air Force. Yet other than looking at my Basic Training yearbook and seeing the rifles we shot, I couldn't tell you anything other than they had triangular handguards. Didn't know our original mutts when I came in, in Jan 86, didn't have a forward assist, or shell deflector. Pictures confirmed that, but what I did remember was we used the Atchisson device in Basic and it jammed almost every other round.

I know in the 96, after leaving AETC, I shot the M16A2 for the first time. So for my first 10 years I fired/carried the M16 604. I know I fired/carried the S&W M15-4(?) as needed from 86-91, and fire/carried the Beretta M9 from 88-08.

Sad, I never paid attention to anything with the weapons, it was just something that I had to carry from time to time, and had to requalify on from time to time.

Now 35 years later, I'm now learning what I used.......Thanks to people like TackleberryMCS.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a shame, ya used to see barrels of em, handguards and stocks too.

Tell me, when I starting planning on this a few months back, I could find them. Now I decide to pull the trigger after finding a slab side upper and now I can't find a 20 inch barrel anywhere. But I'm on the "Notify me" list on about a dozen sites.

Most sites show either:

A) Out of stock, back order ok.
    B) Out of stock, no back order.
    C) Out of stock, discontinued.
    D) Out of stock.

Seems like everyone decided to build 5.56, 20 inch barreled rifles at the same time. I can find them in shorter sizes and other calibers, though....!

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, another thing I forgot, your upper if cut for m4 feed ramps may not work with the classic barrel orginal style.. James will know more about it.

Nope, it doesn't have M4 ramps at all. So my understanding is it can use either a barrel with no ramps or one with ramps. At least that is what my reading last night led me to believe.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dang, barrels are a pain to find right now. You'll have a better chance at finding a virgin hooker.....!

That is why I stress patience these days when undertaking a retro build. Barrels are slow in the coming. When they become available, they are gone quick. Like I recommended, get on the notification list for the 20" 1/12 barrel assembly from Brownells. You will get an e-mail when they are available. You have to act quick or you will be waiting much longer. It is not uncommon to have to wait several months for barrels and barrel assemblies, upper and lower receivers, and some other retro parts to become available.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a org. barrel the finish on it is not good it has a lot of finish off of the front part of the a barrel where it looks like it was held a lot while standing at attention. Think i have a front sight also and the DR ring a nd nut parts no GT. have one prong FS. Riffling looks good like it was carried more then fired . Got a lot of stuff. If interested give me a call 850-572- 6611 jj Can't post pict. but can text some.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a org. barrel the finish on it is not good it has a lot of finish off of the front part of the a barrel where it looks like it was held a lot while standing at attention. Think i have a front sight also and the DR ring a nd nut parts no GT. have one prong FS. Riffling looks good like it was carried more then fired . Got a lot of stuff. If interested give me a call 850-572- 6611 jj Can't post pict. but can text some.

At one of several doctors appointments today, I'll text your phone when I get home. Thanks for the gracious offer JJ, once again you pop up on one of my posts offering assistance.

FYI, my son took his AR that you fixed the issue on and it ran like a charm. The boy was happy......

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow, home from a long day of Dr's appointments and I get to do it again tomorrow.......

Well I've gotten confirmation that all my orders have gone through, the FFL was received for my lower, and everything is being turned over for shipping.

So far I'm at $615.78 spent, just need the barrel and some small parts and I'll be golden. Better than the $1400.00 price for one already built that is for sure.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tell yall what, all the information and knowledge shared, PM offers for assistance putting it together, the offer of tools, plus the offer of parts has left me in awe.

Can't say thank you enough to all that have assisted here in the post and reached out to me in private.

Latest posts

Top Bottom