• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any progress?? Hopefully your feeling better!

Still hurting like a SOB, only got 1 1/2 hours of sleep last night, due to the pain.

As for a build update.......Met up with DaSandmanCometh. He's 10 minutes from my driveway if that.

Barrel is installed, along with the handguards, and 3 prong flash hider, along with the gas tube installed and pinned.

The rear sight is being a pain, I couldn't start it the other day, and he couldn't get the roll pin to start at all either, but damn if he didn't try several times. He was more concerned with tearing the finish up on the windage drum, and we called that one a pass. He didn't have the A1 sight tool to install the front sight.

As for the sling swivel, again he was concerned with marring the finish and doing a Bubba job, and he didn't want to tear up the rivet and swivel trying to install it.

His words "If it was my gun no problem, somebody else's no way"

So the sling swivel and front and rear sights need installed still......But it now looks like a proper rifle from the distance.

Couldn't be more grateful for the work he did and for getting me this far.

We spent more time BSing about the military and how it had changed from my time as an Air Force brat, then retiring as a Air Force NCO and then him retiring as an Air Force NCO. We had a lot of similar gripes and experiences, and there were also a lot of differences and changes over the decades.

DaSandmanCometh is an awesome person, and I'm grateful for his offer of assistance in getting the barrel and all installed. Well I should say FOR installing the barrel, gas tube, flash hider, oh and the handguards.

Edited to add:

CINC Household and I managed to install the front sight. So the sling swivel needs installed then I can mount the sling. Plus the rear sight drum, detent and detent spring and that damn roll pin (Flat spring, aperture and screw are already installed). We have compressed the end of the roll pin just a bit and it still won't go into the hole. Stopping for the day before I get frustrated.

20210813_134029.jpg

20210813_140318.jpg

20210813_164147.jpg

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Praying you get some relief from the pain so you can get some sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you......

Waiting to start injections in my hip and knee, already started them in my lumbar again......Just want to be able to climb into bed, fall asleep, and stay asleep for at least 8 hours straight, again!

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just want to put this out there before my aging brain forgets again. I want to thank everyone that has shared their knowledge, insight, experience, and the many offers of assistance, and the actual assistance during this build. This is my first and will most likely be my only build. I have $946.75 tied up in this build, which is less than I would have found one for already built like I wanted. It has been an adventure to say the least.....

Plus if I sell the A2 buttstock and screw, A2 buttstock spacer, A2 pistol grip with screw and washer, and the extra barrel nut I ended up with I could recoup a couple bucks.

Again thank you everyone for your help.

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Checking in, I've been quiet and slow lately, I've driven only 3 times in the last 3 1/2 months due to the pain and injection side effects. I'm averaging 2-3 appointments a week right now. Transferred from an Eglin AFB Urologist to a local one. No problems with Eglin they have been wonderful since day 1. The drive is what is getting to me plus having to block out 5 hours (Drive there, drive back and appointment time) minimum out of the day for it.

Schedule the last few weeks, plus upcoming ones:

CT scan of my knee.
    CT scan of my hip.
    Urology consult.
    CT scan of bladder (Due to history of bladder cancer).
    Stress test.
    Injections in the lumbar.
    Injections in my knee.
    Injections in my hip.
    Injection follow-ups, 3 separate ones.
    Medicine follow-ups.
    Up-coming bladder scoping.
    Up-coming Cardiac Ablation.
    Up-coming Pulmonary Study (Med I'm on will cause Pulmonary Fibrosis).
    Up-coming shit ton of labs.
    Up-coming chest x-ray.

Now back to the 604 build topic.

After looking at a ton of vintage M16 pictures and 604 pictures, I noticed one thing about them. The forward sling swivel on the early ones was held in/on with roll pin or spring pin versus a rivet. While it's just a small detail, I figured it would make the swivel installation easier. I test fitted the roll pin or should I say I attempted to test fit it, Good Gawd it's going to be tight.

Any suggestions? Should I try and compress the end of the roll pin before installing it? I'm going to use copious amounts of grease to lube it up. Just don't want to mangle or break anything.....!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    You need to be extremely careful when driving in a roll pin for that sling swivel. The ears can be broken if you do not support them properly. If I may suggest, send it off to someone I know who does this stuff for a living. We will do it properly. Of course, it will cost you a bit to cover the work and for shipping both ways. He has a very quick turnaround. His name is John Thomas and he owns and operates Retro Arms Works in Warsaw, IL.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Send it ( the entire gun) to Illinois to have a small roll pin installed.
    Am I understanding this advice right ??
    I have a set of roll pin punches if that would help.--- SAWMAN

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update? Hope your doing well.

My Sciatica is finally under control, I can finally move around. Have a consult this month for my Cardiac Ablation, which will be done in Nov. Been wrapped up in dealing with contractors to finish up the repairs around here.

So I haven't dealt with the 604 build. Did get a bayonet and scabbard for it. So once I install the two roll pins it will be 100% complete. I'll make sure to post pictures of her when she's done.

Hopefully in the next week or so I can get into my shed and get to my tools and workbench and wrapped this build up.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I was sitting here looking at the idiot box, and decided to give the two pins a shot (A1 rear sight drum pin, and front sling swivel pin). Fifteen minutes later I was looking at a "COMPLETE" Faux USAF M16 604.

So for those who've been following this here she is all complete. Again thank you to DaSandmanCometh for installing the barrel, gas tube and installing the gas tube pin. Thank you to TackleberryMCS for sharing all his knowledge with me during this build.

20211012_175616.jpg

20211012_175632.jpg

20211012_175639.jpg

20211012_175644.jpg

20211012_175653.jpg

20211012_180211.jpg

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To bad that you do not have a proper partial-fence lower for it. Other than that, it looks good.

Went back and forth on that, by the time I came in most of them were mutts. Some of the lowers were modified for 3 round burst, some still had auto, and some had what I'm assuming were A2 style lowers (Or lowers originally built with 3 round burst).

But I might change out the lower at a later date.....

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Isn't it amazing how light it is? Very cool build. I cheated and used the monolithic lower. (Even lighter)

It's amazing how with the buttstock being a little shorter, it makes the rifle look small overall compared to the M16A2.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well done! Takes me back to the armory. Best days were in there alone after guardmount, surrounded by weapons and ammo with the radio on and not a care in my 20 year old head lol

Here's another comparison shot for you....

My Faux M16 604, Faux M16A2, and my son's Faux M4. I need to figure out what ACOG they were using in the USMC in 2007 at Parris Island, so I can price them for his M4.

20211013_134449.jpg

Top Bottom