• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Who on the forum does AR builds. I have my complete PSA lower inbound, plus a slab sided upper for a faux/retro USAF 604 build.

Obviously I'll need a barrel and the associated parts, and the BCG, and I'm looking for them as we speak. What I'll need is someone to install the barrel to the upper.

Speaking of barrels is it better to get the ones that already have the forward sight and stuff on it or just a stripped barrel?

It might be a few weeks or months until I find all the parts I need/want. So I figured I start asking now so I'll be prepared.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get the fsb barrel!!!!! With triangle cap, what twist ya gonna do? Trying to put those pinned gas block, fsb's are a mother.

Haven't decided on barrel twist, still reading up on it. Also I'm debating whether to look for a pencil barrel or standard government profile barrel. Obviously when I came in, in Jan 86, the M16s we were using were mutts, already. So as long as it looks the part.....Slab side, triangular handguards, 3 prong flash hider, etc, I'll be happy.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Haven't decided on barrel twist, still reading up on it. Also I'm debating whether to look for a pencil barrel or standard government profile barrel. Obviously when I came in, in Jan 86, the M16s we were using were mutts, already. So as long as it looks the part.....Slab side, triangular handguards, 3 prong flash hider, etc, I'll be happy.
    The 604 used a 1/12 twist "pencil profile" barrel with a 3-prong FH. Typically, the 604 used chrome BCGs, but were also a mix of chrome carriers with either chrome or phosphate bolts. The correct lower receiver would be a partial-fence. Some late 604 s were outfitted with full-fence lowers, M16A1 birdcage FHs, and phosphate BCGs. Buttstocks were D types. Early 604s used the Edgewater buffers and later ones used the new improved buffer still being used today.

As for a barrel, I would recommend getting on the list with Brownells to be notified when they come back in stock.

AR-15 20" A1 Rifle Barrel 1-12 Twist Assembly : BROWNELLS MILITARY BARRELS AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-12 ASSEMBLY | Brownells

I have built several retro clones over the years, one of which being a 604 of which I used an actual 604 upper receiver I found. Most all of the parts are original with the exception of the lower receiver (Nodak Spud).

001.JPG
    004.JPG

I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.

James

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The 604 used a 1/12 twist "pencil profile" barrel with a 3-prong FH. Typically, the 604 used chrome BCGs, but were also a mix of chrome carriers with either chrome or phosphate bolts. The correct lower receiver would be a partial-fence. Some late 604 s were outfitted with full-fence lowers, M16A1 birdcage FHs, and phosphate BCGs. Buttstocks were D types. Early 604s used the Edgewater buffers and later ones used the new improved buffer still being used today.

As for a barrel, I would recommend getting on the list with Brownells to be notified when they come back in stock.

AR-15 20" A1 Rifle Barrel 1-12 Twist Assembly : BROWNELLS MILITARY BARRELS AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-12 ASSEMBLY | Brownells

I have built several retro clones over the years, one of which being a 604 of which I used an actual 604 upper receiver I found. Most all of the parts are original with the exception of the lower receiver (Nodak Spud).

View attachment 120868 View attachment 120869

I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.

James
    I was hoping you'd wander in. James knows his stuff and has some fantastic builds.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Have not heard good things about the Brownells kits. (Internet warriors) Have you tried them??

I have not as I have only used original ones. I have seen where a few guys nit-picked about them comparing them to originals, but the vast majority of guys are happy with them. You have to hand it to Brownells as they have taken the initiative to reproduce these parts. I have no problem recommending them to guys, but is someone wants to find an original set in good condition and willing to pay the price for them, then have at it. The same goes for stocks and pistol grips. I have been fortunate over the past several years to find sources for original parts at really good prices, but those sources dried up rather quickly once others found out about them. Over the past year, for those who have all of a sudden decided to do retro builds, they are running into stumbling blocks like out of stock parts and waiting for months for them to come available again and and higher prices. For anyone building these days, patience is paramount and they may also have to make some concessions on their builds depending on how stuck they are on correctness.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have not as I have only used original ones. I have seen where a few guys nit-picked about them comparing them to originals, but the vast majority of guys are happy with them. You have to hand it to Brownells as they have taken the initiative to reproduce these parts. I have no problem recommending them to guys, but is someone wants to find an original set in good condition and willing to pay the price for them, then have at it. The same goes for stocks and pistol grips. I have been fortunate over the past several years to find sources for original parts at really good prices, but those sources dried up rather quickly once others found out about them. Over the past year, for those who have all of a sudden decided to do retro builds, they are running into stumbling blocks like out of stock parts and waiting for months for them to come available again and and higher prices. For anyone building these days, patience is paramount and they may also have to make some concessions on their builds depending on how stuck they are on correctness.

Yeah I agree 100%.....Mine will have the triangular handguards, slab side upper, duck bill muzzle device. It'll have the appearance of what I carried pre Desert Storm from a glance, but won't be 100% correct.

Just like, I'll have to settle for a M9 Commercial, as I doubt I would find an actual Military M9 in the wild. Then there is the S&W M15-? (Can't recall the total model number) I'll have to find to complete my service time weapons.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Yeah I agree 100%.....Mine will have the triangular handguards, slab side upper, duck bill muzzle device. It'll have the appearance of what I carried pre Desert Storm from a glance, but won't be 100% correct.

Just like, I'll have to settle for a M9 Commercial, as I doubt I would find an actual Military M9 in the wild, and then there is the S&W M15-3 I'll have to find to complete my service time weapons.

Remember, there is the original "duckbill" FH that was used on the 601. The later improved "duckbill", usually referred to as the "3-prong", was used on the 602, XM16E1, pre-Dec. 1967 M16A1, 604, and 607.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I love this forum, I made my initial post at 1415 and by 1630, a forum member reached out to me to assist with the build (Barrel installation, etc).

So within 2 hours and 15 minutes of my initial post, I already had a offer that would be stupid to turndown.
    A lot of good fellas on here.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Remember, there is the original "duckbill" FH that was used on the 601. The later improved "duckbill", usually referred to as the "3-prong", was used on the 602, XM16E1, pre-Dec. 1967 M16A1, 604, and 607.

Duh moment.....Correct, I meant to say 3 Prong and my brain was stuck on Duck Bill, for some dang reason......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom