• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I’m thinking I’m wanting to build an AR9. Questions I have so far:

are they reliable?
    do I want Colt Mags or Glock? Versatility is not that important so if Colt runs better that is what I want.
    Do I want to use a dedicated 9mm lower or a standard ar lower with mag adapters?
    any brand to stay away from? Any brand that works better than others?
    what would be optimal barrel length I’m thinking 5.5” up to 8”
    what do you have and how do you like it? (Throw up a pic if you wish)

Last edited:

Hand Cannon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have built AR's but never an AR-9 so I have no comment on that part of your question. I have shot a friends MPX. Liked it but did not buy one. I have heard good things about the JP's but have never handled one so no opinion there. I believe the JP's are pricey.

But I do own two Anderson AR-9's. Have thousands of rounds through them by now and all I can say is they have been flawless. No FTF, no FTE and they have shot everything I have fed in them. I bought only one at first, and it ran so well that I bought another. The second has been giving me the same results as the first. Both take glock mags. And both of these Anderson AR's are carbine length. Use them in competition so I needed the carbine length. Bought them from Chappy Tactical Firearms if you are interested. BTW, Chappy runs an Anderson as well. Pretty sure he is happy with his AR-9 too.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No. I tried several. Only JP worked 100%.
    MPX for AR ergos or MP5 FTW.
    This right here.

Do you want an AR9 with 2x the recoil of a 5.56 and half the reliability, or you can spend a little more and buy the genuine article.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hand Cannon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    This right here.

Do you want an AR9 with 2x the recoil of a 5.56 and half the reliability, or you can spend a little more and buy the genuine article.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2x the recoil of a 556? Honestly that has not been my experience with the Anderson. I am getting very little recoil and what I get is a straight push back, not muzzle flip. Stays on target and double taps are fast. I initially thought I would put a brake/comp on it but haven't bothered. The only thing I have done to the Anderson's is a little trigger work and replaced the butt stock and hand grip. And so far reliability has not been an issue. Maybe I will be singing a different song at the 10K round mark. We shall see. No question the JP is a top of the line gun and the Anderson is not. But I got two Anderson's for less then the cost of one JP and am having a good time with them.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mag well adaptor. 115/124 great fmj. Hps and 147gr don't cycle reliably. ASC Colt mags, 4inch and 16 jnch barrels. Lrbho. Fun gun on the cheap.

Attachments

• 64722-5162c212cfc05d25636a4ce51a2f9c6d.jpg
      64722-5162c212cfc05d25636a4ce51a2f9c6d.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 127

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I've yet to shoot this one but can't wait. It's been in the back of the safe. I think I got it sighted in. Hope it functions. It's an unfired build I got from a forum member a while back.
    Spikes lower. Mike's fm9 upper

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_164505248.jpg
      IMG_20200711_164505248.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 126
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've had a RRA rifle length upper I bought about a decade ago. I tried the mag adapters for colt mags with all kinds of mags, couldn't get any to run correctly. I went to a CMMG dedicated colt lower and still couldn't get it to run reliable. Swapped out BCGs to a Faxon and still nothing. Final attempt was to try a Foxtrot Mike dedicated Glock lower. Worked from the very start and have over 2K rounds through it with various mags and not one issue. It's a fun gun to shoot and I mostly shoot it suppressed. Very little recoil, easy to control.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've had a CMMG dedicated colt lower for awhile. It took some breaking in and with the suppressor, some time to figure out what worked and didn't. I had some early mags that wouldn't engage the bho. I figured out quickly that weak ammo and blowback don't work well together. depending on ammo/suppressor/barrel length/buffer combination they can recoil fine but my AR9 has some distinct vertical bounce. I've got an MPX that shoots pretty soft but that's going to run significantly more than an AR9.

Dewayne G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cheapest Colt polymer magwell adapter in a Anderson receiver with a unknown 16" upper, ASC mags. I had fits with my first thoughts being the mags, finally had a friend look at it during cycle and found the feed ramps weren't cut low enough and Bullets would bounce up into the chamber occasionally and freeze just below the feed ramp at the most aggravating times. Lowered and polished the feed ramps and it ran reliably.
    Reconfigured about a year ago with the same adapter in a TN ARMS polymer receiver actually JB Welded in. For an upper a smooth side Anderson with a 5.5 barrel with a thin wall tube welded to make it a legal length. Same original issues with the feed ramp but once smoothed and polished has run great with good ammo, this gun is light and fast. I have shot most of the basic bullet shapes and weights without problem but have settled on 145 Bayou round nose. I had to shorten them slightly for less drag inside the mag from my pistol load but now shooting them in PCC and pistols.
    IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Check out the Kalashnikov USA KP-9. I keep hearing good things about those but if you're planning to run a can then only go with an MP5.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom