• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I did, can't get it to index right guard screws on the nut. Don't want to put a hammer or cheater bar on it!! I'll figure it out.
    Did your handguard come with shims? Also,sometimes loosening the barrel nut and torque a few times in a row will "set" the threads. I'm sure you'll get it right.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I've built plenty of AR-15 variants but never tried on an AR-10 type. From what I'm reading here, I'm glad I didn't try. I bought my first one, a DPMS LR-308, as a complete rifle in 2013. A couple of years ago I bought a PSA .308 as completed upper & lower.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I've built plenty of AR-15 variants but never tried on an AR-10 type. From what I'm reading here, I'm glad I didn't try.

It can be confusing for sure. AR-10 or LR-308? 16 or 18 tpi barrel nut? High or low upper receiver? Standard or short receiver? Gen 1 or gen 2? And i haven't thought much about buffer systems. I plan on using "standard" (lol) rifle and carbine buffers.
    Rebel_Rider1969 care to share some input on buffer systems?

Ugafan84

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes i am also wondering about a buffer system. I have a dpms lower and just changed out my magpul prs stock to a ubr stock. I had a rifle length buffer and spring in it with the prs stock but now it’s a carbine length tube which obviously the rifle length won’t work. I’ve had buffer issues before and now I need some recommendations on what system I should go with as far as weight of the buffer goes. Also the proper spring.

I was looking at the jp enterprise silent capture system gen 2 for AR-10,LR-308 but would hate to spend 150 bucks and it not function properly.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I'm still new to the lar308. I've got a 3.8 oz buffer I'm going to try. Carbine tube. *** the 308 buffers are shorter than the ar15 buffers. Don't know about the springs yet. Still reading.

Ugafan84

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok yeah that makes sense as there is a lot of variables at play. The jp setup is 5 ounces which seems heavy but from reading on it it could possibly work. But that is correct I believe the .308 is about an inch shorter maybe more due to the bcg being longer. Do you have a carbine length tube that you are gonna use for that buffer?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Ok yeah that makes sense as there is a lot of variables at play. The jp setup is 5 ounces which seems heavy but from reading on it it could possibly work. But that is correct I believe the .308 is about an inch shorter maybe more due to the bcg being longer. Do you have a carbine length tube that you are gonna use for that buffer?
    Yes, luckly I found a complete lower kit. Pre crazy prices. I've been toying with the pistol idea since last year.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes, luckly I found a complete lower kit. Pre crazy prices. I've been toying with the pistol idea since last year.
    I just bought a matching set that was a blem set for 189.00, my son paid for everything else. Aero Precision BCG, kak shockwave tube/brace, CMMG LPK, Muzzle brake, and handguard rail. Still waiting in a barrel.i think we are at about 600 into it now.

Doc

Doc

Ugafan84

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ended up buying complete buffer system kits, rifle and carbine. Both buffers are shorter than AR-15 parts. Not sure about the springs. I just used what came with the kits.
    What buffer system kits did you use for the carbine? Also do you happen to know the weight of the buffer in the carbine kit?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I just bought a matching set that was a blem set for 189.00, my son paid for everything else. Aero Precision BCG, kak shockwave tube/brace, CMMG LPK, Muzzle brake, and handguard rail. Still waiting in a barrel.i think we are at about 600 into it now.

Doc

Doc
    That blade brace might be a bit "pokey"

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Yeah I have one on a 556 pistol. I know theres a lot more recoil with a 308 but its gonna be my son shooting it. If he doesn't like it, then he can replace it. He will be a man 25 MAY 21.

Doc
    A couple years ago I did a 7.62x39 rifle bling build. Had this cool anodized, skeletonized stock with matching grip. They both were replaced after 1st range session. Too edgy. Would have been fine for 223...

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    My dust covers came in. And so did some Hexmags. Hopefully I'll get time to assemble this weekend. I ended up with an extra nitride bcg, if anyone is interested. Oh make that 2 bcgs. One standard dpms. The other has dual ejectors- enhanced? gen2?

Top Bottom