• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have my guns sighted in for about 100 ft as a temporary zero with 150 grain loads.
    i plan to use 110 grain reloads.
    My thoughts were with supersonic loads to sight them 2 inches high above the line of sight at 100 and see where they are hitting at 200 hundred yards.
    The ballistics of the pistol length barrels are a little more than that of an M1 carbine. The goal is to be able to hit a human head size target to say 150 yards by holding dead on.
    appreciate any thoughts that fellow forum members might have on this.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nikon has an app called - spot on - it can tell you. Just ignore all the scope stuff and look at the ballistic table.
    Is it specifically set up for the AR. The line of sight axis of the AR is considerably above the bore axis. Means the bullet has to go higher to reach the axis of the sight. Makes a difference when sighting in for a distance.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nikon has an app called - spot on - it can tell you. Just ignore all the scope stuff and look at the ballistic table.
    This what you are likely talking about https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nikon.spoton&hl=en_US
    Spot On Ballistic Match Technology provides precise aiming points for any Nikon BDC reticle riflescope and instant reference for sighting in other Nikon riflescopes with plex, MilDot or standard crosshair reticles.

All you need is a rifle, a Nikon riflescope and a rangefinder…SpotOn does all the work for you, showing
    you what the possibilities are before you ever fire a shot! Includes sections for handloaders, atmospheric conditions, comparing loads as well as the ability to create and email a field reference chart.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Input the velocity and BC of the bullet into JBM Calculations Trajectory. It will give you EXACTLY where your bullet will hit.
    But a 110 at about 2350 from 16 inches of bbl,you can hold top of head. Practice this - - -> using a 6 or 8 inch circle,holding the top of the circle,how far can you move back and still clip the bottom of the circle.
    You NEVER want to have to hold above the circle in order to hit it. More hunters shoot over game than under it.
    From my 16" bolt gun or single shot,the Barnes 110gr (30321) @ 2380 will shoot flatter than anticipated. My PBR,sighted in properly,is out over 250yds. Possibly further.
    Make sure to figure in the vel drop and sight above bore line into your equasion. (Info in <---> Info out)
    Learn to use the above ballistics site and your sight in's will be easy going to the range.
    I print them out at home. Take them to the range,then cut and tape to my stock when I get home. --- SAWMAN

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Listen to Fromer. You must know your height over bore before looking at any ballistic table. With rails it is hard to take that measurement. I found the most precise way to figure This out is by shooting paper at 5 yds or closer then referencing the ballistic app at that distance. I simply adjust the numbers to make everything line up from there.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Above bore line is not "critical". By that I am talking a half an inch or so.
    Your velocity is not "critical". By that I am talking 40fps or so.
    The ballistic coefficient of your bullet (especially at what speed) is not critical. As long as your input is about .050 or so.
    This,unless - - -> you need to figure within 1/2 inch at 200yds. (or less) Shooting for groups . . not necessary.
    Shooting at animals . . not necessary. Trying to see how close to a 1/4 inch orange dot . . necessary.
    Just my opinions (from expierance). --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Above bore line is not "critical". By that I am talking a half an inch or so.
    Your velocity is not "critical". By that I am talking 40fps or so.
    The ballistic coefficient of your bullet (especially at what speed) is not critical. As long as your input is about .050 or so.
    This,unless - - -> you need to figure within 1/2 inch at 200yds. (or less) Shooting for groups . . not necessary.
    Shooting at animals . . not necessary. Trying to see how close to a 1/4 inch orange dot . . necessary.
    Just my opinions (from expierance). --- SAWMAN
    Thanks for the information
    On an AR the sights are more than 0.5 inches over the line of bore.
    Typical sight set up in AR pistol looks like about 2.5 inches.

1588767473056.png

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In my above I was "trying" to say - -> if you are WITHIN 1/2 INCH.
    IOW - - -> between 2 inches and 2.5 inches figured into the equasion is not critical. But between 1.5 and 3 is. Same with bolt,single,lever,etc. But with those guns you can damn near eye ball it. An AR is deceiving. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my above I was "trying" to say - -> if you are WITHIN 1/2 INCH.
    IOW - - -> between 2 inches and 2.5 inches figured into the equasion is not critical. But between 1.5 and 3 is. Same with bolt,single,lever,etc. But with those guns you can damn near eye ball it. An AR is deceiving. --- SAWMAN
    I think I can extrapolate if the data produced by this program can put on a linear graph. I should be able to draw a linear line about 2.5 inches about bore axis of the graph and plot the intersections with the line of sight. I have excel that is capable of plotting graphs.

Top Bottom