DK Firearms

App to alert someone if you fall out of a tree stand.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty cool App for anyone hunting by themselves out of a tree stand. Never know when a mistake or accident will happen. Nice to know someone will be alerted.

There is an app that uses the accelerometer to detect a fall. The app will automatically send an email, text message, and makes an automated phone call saying that it detected a fall and it includes your GPS coordinates.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iter.falldetector&hl=en

It is always a shame that these accidents occur as they are so easily preventable.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know 2 people that are in wheel chairs that would have liked to have this. Wouldn't have stopped the fall but they wouldn't have laid there so long before someone came looking for them. But there were no cell phones back them either for them to call for help.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Snow Bird I to know many who have fallen out of trees, And many like you stated didn't have today's technology .

Unfortunately being a state trooper I received far to many calls of missing hunters in the woods. Fortunately most were only lost & cold & hungry . But 2 cases come to mind when hunters fell from stands and broke bones and actually bleed out because they weren't hunting where they told family they were setting up. So it took searchers more then 48hrs to find them.

Had they had today's technology they may still be hunting.

There is no reason for anyone no a days to not be carrying a cell phone while away from home. And alert others if you happen to go elsewhere then where you first stated you were going. Seconds can save your life.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Great idea, I hope it saves some lives and suffering...Wear your safety gear guys!

As a State Trooper you should know this. can someone call you/911 and give my cell number and if the GPS is on you can find me in an emergency?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The app does sound great. I can think of some other possible uses.

I keep my cell phone with me constantly. I do occasionally run equipment and machines out away from people and alone. This app may not work in most cases in my situation as I don't think anything that might happen would involve any hard acceleration or decceleration but maybe someone will take this further.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank I've been out of CSP for many years.

But it is my understanding that if you call 911 and they confirm it is an emergency they can ping a cell phone number. As long as that phone is on they can get your general location , That's with the older cell phones.

Most of todays cells have a GPS device but the owners can and do shut that function down so then they can only ping your number thru your provider and get your phones general location with in a 5 mile radius .

This is only what I've learned in different seminars a few years back. With today technology things may be different .

Some phones parents purchase for their kids have a GPS tracker APP so that parents can go on line and actually track where their kids are & have been.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FUPAGUNT What if your drop your phone out of the stand?

I'm pretty sure the APP would have a small time delay , Or you could always get to the phone and send out the proper Alert that your OK

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seanpcola
    I think your right, But remember it's not a quick process.

Dispatch contacts desk sergeant , Who oks contacting phone service provider , who gets approval from their higher ups and then a technician pings the cell and finally provides a detailed location back to the police. Then it's starts the search. Could take 5 minutes to a half hour to get units to respond since the call 1st comes in. Those minutes can save someone life.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure its not as fast as the app in the OP but better than nothing till the next gen is out. I'm sure one problem with this stuff is potential privacy issues. Not that we have any with the gov. but at least there could be issues if momma used it to track you when you're supposed to be at work but are actually out on the boat fishing.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guarantee you I've said less "controversial" things on the phone or internet than most of you guys plus nothing more than one speeding ticket as to run ins with LE. However, I don't like my phone keeping too many records.

What I was refering to was a scenario like say: some dude has a little honey on the side. He has a treestand app. He's over at sugar's house knocking off a little and drops his phone while he's snatching his pants off and doesnt realize it. . Wife calls 911. Next thing you know he's got LEOs and EMTs crawling all over him mid happy ending. Everyone gets a laugh, he might get a fine. In the meantime cuckolded momma hooks up with Levin. He's out a wife and most of his stuff. "Hey! Its Apple's fault!" regardless that he was grazing in the wrong pasture. It'll happen.

Last edited:

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There was a company in Spanish fort Ala. who made a product called fall-safe or something like that, if you have it attached to your harness in treestand an you fall , it lets you down at 5mph. I believe. Cost around 99 dollars. If you fall an have your harness on an are hanging from safety rope you have about 30 minutes before your blood circulation starts shutting down your organs, then death!!! Denny in pace!!

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The devise that will let you slowly drop to the ground in case you fall is called [downsafe] it lets you down all the way to ground hands free, it is available at most local sporting good stores, if you hunt from a treestand I wouldn't climb without one!!!!Denny in pace!!

Top Bottom