• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why not just fix what's wrong with it? You still live in Navarre?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IM in gulf breeze by the LOWES and WALMART.
    Cant really fix wuts wrong... I mean its need a rebuild. Engine knocks like something nasty. Easiest thing to do is buy an engine that has been rebuilt or something along those lines and have it swapped... Found a company on ebay that specializes in Subaru engines... they change head gaskets and bench test engine before they shit out. (100% feeback on the seller)

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never installed an engine in a subuaru, did a clutch once. If you can't find anyone to do it reasonable let me know, I could do it just not lightning quick

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Literally just spend nearly 2k on a new clutch ( OEM parts etc). Pretty sure we have the paperwork somewhere hahahaha!!!! Having looked under the hood... It looks like you would have to remove the CV axles... Disconnect trans... maybe remove drive shaft... and then ur just swapping an engine as usual. I don't have near the equipment so I can even try to attempt it!!! will have to install a new timing belt as the new engine comes as a long block... swap over intake manifold and a few other things and its done. Not looking for a speedy job to be honest. Care more about it being done right

wld1985

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup, Probably drop the whole sub-frame on the front and just pull it out.. Nothing fun and fast about that, Roy (Big Daddy) has worked on my stuff in the past.. He does great work..

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get a crate engine installed, most of them come with a 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty. I would recommend getting an engine from Subaru, being the reman engines from local parts stores are no where near the same quality as OEM engines.

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with getting a crate engine... especially from Subaru, However an engine straight from SUB is pricey! I mean really pricey. The company I found specializes in Subaru and Subaru alone. Also the engine is a fraction of the cost of a factory reman engine. $2100 vs. $5,000-$6000 so cost is kind of an issue.

Main thing for me now is finding someone who can do it. I just dont want to drop 3k on a swap and the car not run or something catastrophic happen ya know.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with getting a crate engine... especially from Subaru, However an engine straight from SUB is pricey! I mean really pricey. The company I found specializes in Subaru and Subaru alone. Also the engine is a fraction of the cost of a factory reman engine. $2100 vs. $5,000-$6000 so cost is kind of an issue.

Main thing for me now is finding someone who can do it. I just dont want to drop 3k on a swap and the car not run or something catastrophic happen ya know.

Remember you get what you pay for, you will be upset in a couple of years if the head gasket lets go on the reman engine. I'm not trying to talk you into spending a couple of extra grand, but I have seen about 3 reman engines head gaskets let go under warranty. Sure they will give you another engine, but they will not cover the labor or any fluids you use (oil and antifreeze).

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My advice for what it's worth. Get a FIRM cost on the price of labor on the swap. At least the MOST it will be. Been screwd twice on work on motor homes. Once to the tune of 1300 and another time 2500. They had my home or I would have just told them to keep it both times.

Edit. That was over the price they told me it would be. Don't fall for the tune it was more work than we thought it would be. If they don't know how much work it will be then don't let them do it.

Last edited:

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Manual, automatic, CVT? Need more information.

2010 Subaru Legacy? What submodel? I? Sport? Gt? Gt limited? Gt premium?

Last edited:

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I can personally vouch for Douglas at AutoCheck in Pensacola. He knows Subarus and treats people fare.

Autocheck Pensacola

5523 Pensacola Blvd - Pensacola, Florida

(right across from What-A-Burger)

Phone: 850-494-0149

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dwatts I can say this much from a person who works on anything with a motor a lot of us won't touch it unless we know who the motor came from remember who you gonna call all pissed off at the day the motor dies the person you got it from or the person who put it in I've been down this road and it ain't a nice road 3 days after I put a used motor in it locked up and it was all my fault because some fool at a junk yard told her this motor was a fantastic buy at this price. And I told her to spend 100.00 more then the motor cost and rebuild hers just saying

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dwatts I can say this much from a person who works on anything with a motor a lot of us won't touch it unless we know who the motor came from remember who you gonna call all pissed off at the day the motor dies the person you got it from or the person who put it in I've been down this road and it ain't a nice road 3 days after I put a used motor in it locked up and it was all my fault because some fool at a junk yard told her this motor was a fantastic buy at this price. And I told her to spend 100.00 more then the motor cost and rebuild hers just saying

I have dealt with alot of mechanics. Some good, some bad. One thing I do know is that If I were to have a lesser quality part installed, the fault cant be blamed on the mechanic. IN the grand scheme of things i did some research and found a company that specializes in rebuild/re manufacturing Subaru engine. Their reputation is good and therefore I trust Id be getting a pretty solid engine for the money. I dont make it a point to go after mechanics if parts fail. I used to have an awesome mechanic who lives in FWB. Handled all my engine and trans swaps ... flat rate and he would take his time no rush and paid cash under the table cause he did it at his house on the side. But he moved :( SUCKS!!!

But thanks for the advice

Top Bottom