• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    A Rock Island distributor has them on sale for $299, and there's a $100 rebate after that. Anyone have any experience with these? There arent a ton of reviews or videos on them. Curious on if they are threaded at the end so you can throw a buffer tube and brace on there. Reminds me a bit of the Standard MFG SKO, but I always heard those things kinda stink.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Looks like a good platform to setup for a cheek-shooting method. Just slap a high mounted red dot towards the front and keep the stock like it is with a sling. It will keep the whole system small too. I'm kinda iffy on the whole box mag shotgun issue tho. If ya have a large mag I guess it won't matter much

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That “rebate” is basically a $100 credit on one specific website.
    And the stuff I read says it isn’t designed to have a brace, AR tube, etc.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    That “rebate” is basically a $100 credit on one specific website.
    And the stuff I read says it isn’t designed to have a brace, AR tube, etc.
    Good catch! I didn't notice that, although that's not a huge deal to me. The site the rebate is for sells parts and stuff for almost all firearms, which is where the rebate money'd be going for me lol

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The only thing I see is the short barrel might have a gas issue with cheap ammo. Looks like a good truck gun if reliable. If it got stolen no biggie and if you needed it, 12ga is handy. No optic required. ( it's a shotgun!)

Buy it!! (I'll trade ya something cool for it later, lol)

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I've seen a few people use them in 3 gun videos online. They have to be somewhat reliable I guess if they're chosen for that. I've seen some for sell at prices that are hard to go wrong on. Like rebel said, worst case is ya just resell it for neat what ya paid minus tax and wear n tear etc. Maybe think of it as a rental lol

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Looks like a good platform to setup for a cheek-shooting method. Just slap a high mounted red dot towards the front and keep the stock like it is with a sling. It will keep the whole system small too. I'm kinda iffy on the whole box mag shotgun issue tho. If ya have a large mag I guess it won't matter much
    I don't think I would be brave enough to fire a short shotgun like that from the cheek rest position, but that's just me??

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    G
    I don't think I would be brave enough to fire a short shotgun like that from the cheek rest position, but that's just me??
    Go to "demonstrated concepts" on YouTube. He is the one that kind of pioneered the method. He does stuff at compitions with the seemingly crazy method and does really well. He actually uses a Shockwave style 12 gauge this way, and also 22 mag/lr keltecs. He's actually been mentioned on shows like forgotten weapons where Ian tries other guns to duplicate it. His last show on the topic made use of a calico 9mm helical mag pistol setup with a custom red dot on the front sight. Literally on top of the front sight lol.
    The concept has kind of been around for a while. It's sort of like short stocking a shotty. The guy tho makes a good case as to why it kind of the best setup to clear a house and corners with. It's because you only expose a small part of your upper torso, and as soon as you do you immediately have a full view of the targets. Versus if you do so with a full rifle style setup they see you're shoulder typically prior to you seeing them etc. It's best to see it in action tho.
    Myself, I'm split on it. I have a mean 57 setup that's perfect for it. But!... I'm not too fond of a chamber that close to my face. So myself yeah I'd only do it really if I had to, or braces and stocks are banned etc. I've actually tried it with my 300 Rattlers and it's doable.
    Anyways yeah not to sidetrack the original post but yeah it's a little niche genre of a style that's gaining traction with shooters.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Single point sling shortend and push towards the target??
    That may work. Just don't get you're face behind it. 9mm and stuff yeah is fine. Shotties maybe not so. I think you'd want shoulder contact for the most part. At first it feels funny have your grip and trigger so close to your chest. Once you get over that initial period it's actually nice and stable. The push pull method on slings gets harder and harder as the calibers increase. The recoil is hard to control and try to maintain a good firing speed. So maybe add a laser and then you can do that super well

When tinkering with the cheek methods tho I realized that have a short gun setup for cheek fire will allow you more choices. You can fire it in cheek mode, or regular. If you have it setup for just standard shooting you can cheek shoot it. With that said I plan to get a short shottie, maybe a Shockwave style one, and set it up for dedicated cheek fire.
    I like this method for a good reason. If you ever plan to conceal a shockwave, you'd have to sling it up high into your armpit so it's covered. And when you decide ro deploy it, you kind of have to stop and take the strap sling fully off to start being to use the shottie. That would be extra hard if you had a jacket on. (Which upu would ot else it wouldn't be hidden and defeats the whole process lol). So then you'd have to take the jacket off and sling then be able to use it. Whereas if it was setup to cheek fire, all you have to do is raise it up and start working.
    Anyways, things to think about. If anything it's fun to learn a new skill

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I like this method for a good reason. If you ever plan to conceal a shockwave, you'd have to sling it up high into your armpit so it's covered. ...

Technically, once you conceal it, the not-a-shotgun “firearm” loses its greater than 26” OAL immunity, since now it is proven concealable (despite its AOL over 26”). It would become an AOW ($5 NFA tax stamp). Since you presumably just insta-converted it to an AOW, you wouldn’t have a taxstamp, so you should send your dogs to someone else’s house before AlfabitBois show up.

Just something to remember when considering your tactics.

Zombie hordes and MadMax ThunderDome? The BATFE isn’t a concern.

Wednesday night downtown? If you need to use it, you would hopefully survive, but your new threat is jail time in a Federal pen.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    My dogs dead. She'll be fine. I don't even own a Shockwave yet. So I'm fine too.
    This conceal catch 22 you mention, I thought the rule of 26 was so it can't be "easily" concealed vs "impossible." I could conceal a crew served browning 50 cal in a station wagon easily if I wanted. I've not studied all the convoluted AOW laws tho. I'm still figuring out just all the SBR nonsense

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My dogs dead. She'll be fine. I don't even own a Shockwave yet. So I'm fine too.
    This conceal catch 22 you mention, I thought the rule of 26 was so it can't be "easily" concealed vs "impossible." I could conceal a crew served browning 50 cal in a station wagon easily if I wanted. I've not studied all the convoluted AOW laws tho. I'm still figuring out just all the SBR nonsense

I’d love to admit I am wrong on the matter. I feel I’ve read it more than once when researching concealed carry/transport of these not-a-shotguns.

NFA, GCA, FOPA, BATFE, etc... all need to be repealed.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I’d love to admit I am wrong on the matter. I feel I’ve read it more than once when researching concealed carry/transport of these not-a-shotguns.

NFA, GCA, FOPA, BATFE, etc... all need to be repealed.
    Yep. Tbh it's tricky on purpose I think. I'll have to read up on it. I did do a search and found conceal carry holsters for shockwaves tho, not that it legalizes it in any way. I would have sworn it was perfectly legal tho as any weapon folks own should be legal to conceal as far as I'm concerned. The other option of open carry a weapon that size, we'll that would ruffle feathers for sure. So I would think conceal would be encouraged just so it don't make the natives restless so to speak lol. If anyone knows for certain I'd like to see or hear it explained in detail tho. Maybe a new thread even

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

He has a ton of how-to videos where he explains the technique. Yes, there’s a recoil strap that helps, but it’s definitely do-able.

Yep. He actually kicks ass using this method. Definitely a good skill to learn and have on tap for sure. I'd maybe start with shorty shells, but they fire full power loads this way just fine

Top Bottom