• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    so senor number is as important as refresh rate and I (skimming) haven’t seen that mentioned yet. Really 3 things with thermal and I am not an expert but going off my experience and recently going through this myself. 1. Sensor/pixel (clarity) will be something like 160,320,640. This directly impacts clarity and is magnified by zoom meaning the higher the zoom worse things become. Refresh rate can be bypassed by clicking the manual refresh button that almost all models have. Ideally it happens automatically at a good rate but I would take a higher sensor number vs a higher refresh rate number any day of the week. If you are a serious shooter even with no experience with thermal I would not go below a 320 sensor I would spend on the sensor vs anything else. I looking back wouldnt go below a 640 personally especially for shots past 100 with zoom you just can’t easily make out what you are looking at. My ATN Thor is a 320 sensor with 1x and 4x zoom. It is a very good entry level scope but taking it to Missouri recently I quickly found the edge of its limitations. Also something that was devastating was picking a scope without a internal range finder when using the scope in an unfamiliar setting caused me misses on multi targets so for those saving for the pulsar or equivalent do take the range finding option into consideration it is a game changer upon game changer.

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That all being said, the 256 sensor @100 yards with range finder for under $1k yes I would do that for entry level thermal all day long. I think I paid $1,200 for my 320 sensor without rangefinder

Top Bottom