• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    My bride saw this for sale. $850.?
    The #TS19 model. They also had the TS25 for 999. Thinking it would be good for my RARR x39
    1000000890.jpg

Last edited:

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have an AGM, different model and it's been great.

The TS19 / TS25 are budget because of their slow refresh rate (25hz). Basically it takes longer for the image to update due to optic / rifle movement or target movement.

You really will want 50hz; those models are about double but you will notice the lag in a 25hz and want something better.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I have an AGM, different model and it's been great.

The TS19 / TS25 are budget because of their slow refresh rate (25hz). Basically it takes longer for the image to update due to optic / rifle movement or target movement.

You really will want 50hz; those models are about double but you will notice the lag in a 25hz and want something better.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm only shooting at about 100 yards. Using the sightmark wraith now, so I'm sure the cheaper thermal one would be 1000% better than my current nv, lol.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I've decided I'm going to save up for a Pulsar. I've watches videos of how they have that dual zoom picture in picture technology that allows you to be zoomed at max level, and zoomed out max at the same time. The top zoom window will be small. The rest of the image will be zoomed out. That way once you take you're precise shot, you can immediately transition to cleaning up the rest of the targets immediately without losing sight of them. It's hard to describe here in words. Man oh man tho was this guy a terror with one tho. He mopped up a whole sounder nearly one after the other while they was in full gallop lol. It's a very deadly scope

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Pulsar is nice too, I have their older entry level RXQ30V 1.6-6.4x22; it has the Picture In Picture described above.

I don't believe they make it anymore and lots of AGM units rival it for the same price (and they are probably made in the same factory, or have a lot of the same components).

There is a lot available at the $2K price point which used to only be available for $4K plus.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Regarding refresh rate: This is my observation. My old thermal (now used as a hand held unit, but it still could be rifle mounted and used) has a 30 hz refresh rate. When looking through it and moving what you're looking at, say you are scanning a field from side to side (as opposed to holding it still on one spot/area of the field), the view will have some blurring to it. The faster the movement of the thermal, the worse the blurring on the screen. When you stop moving the thermal, the image then quickly sharpens up as in almost instantly. With a 60 hz unit, I don't notice any blurring when moving the thermal across the field or following animals running.

So, scanning with the old 30 hz unit, I simply don't swing it fast and have no problems (the view looks a bit nauseating when done real fast). One simply learns real quick how fast you can move the thermal when scanning without a blurred view on the thermal's screen. When I used it on a rifle, I killed many a hog/armadillo over the years.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Regarding refresh rate: This is my observation. My old thermal (now used as a hand held unit, but it still could be rifle mounted and used) has a 30 hz refresh rate. When looking through it and moving what you're looking at, say you are scanning a field from side to side (as opposed to holding it still on one spot/area of the field), the view will have some blurring to it. The faster the movement of the thermal, the worse the blurring on the screen. When you stop moving the thermal, the image then quickly sharpens up as in almost instantly. With a 60 hz unit, I don't notice any blurring when moving the thermal across the field or following animals running.

So, scanning with the old 30 hz unit, I simply don't swing it fast and have no problems (the view looks a bit nauseating when done real fast). One simply learns real quick how fast you can move the thermal when scanning without a blurred view on the thermal's screen. When I used it on a rifle, I killed many a hog/armadillo over the years.
    Might be ok for scanning, flash blur might catch your eye better?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Might be ok for scanning, flash blur might catch your eye better?
    When I say "blur", I mean to my eyes the screen is out of focus. Simply swing the thermal when scanning a bit slower. Looking back in time, I didn't get doubles, triples, and quadruple kills until I got my 60 hz thermal. Was it because of blur with old unit or was it gaining experience and a mental attitude of I'm gonna shoot more than one or was it a faster refresh rate of the viewing screen inside the 60 hz thermal or a combination...I don't know. But don't let a slower refresh rate bother you.

4 yr old video discussion of refresh rates

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I'm sure from a static position a lower Hz unit will be fine. But like all optics, don't look through a better unit or then you'll 'want' that one, etc... ;)
    I'm gonna wait a bit and put some hours on the NV during nighttime. If it works good for my purpose I'll stick with it. Works great during the day! Hornady 55gr amax. Old pre-Taurus <DB> ar. 1:9. Cold bore shots with this one are dead on, my only factory built AR. Pop and flop. Need to shim the nv light to get it centered.
    20210715_185343.jpg
    20210715_171416.jpg
    SIMA0016 (1).jpg

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    How do you like the NV vs the Thermal?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'm gonna wait a bit and put some hours on the NV during nighttime. If it works good for my purpose I'll stick with it. Works great during the day! Hornady 55gr amax. Old pre-Taurus <DB> ar. 1:9. Cold bore shots with this one are dead on, my only factory built AR. Pop and flop. Need to shim the nv light to get it centered. View attachment 191106 View attachment 191107 View attachment 191108
    What yardage was that bird at?

Top Bottom