• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    As the title says, anybody have any experience good or bad with these scopes? I need to outfit a couple rifles and can’t put high end stuff on all of them. Looking for lpvo 1-6 or maybe 1-4 with a “good enough” bdc reticle. Also looking at primary arms but stumbled on the monstrum stuff while researching. Im looking at their g2 line or the tactical reticle line. Thanks in advance

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    edit; I should correct myself and say that mine is just a red dot, not a lpvo, I apologize for any confusion.
    I think there stuff has come along way over the years. I have one that’s in a 10/22. I don’t think I would ever trust my life to it but it has done well in the role it’s in now. I have put it on a carbine and it stayed zeroed through a few hundred rounds. Then moved it back. This guy here test a lot of cheaper optics and gives his honest opinion and he’s not easy on them either. But of course YMMV

Definitely a good starting point at their reliably and longevity.

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    That was my original plan. Looking at primary arms. But stumbled on the monstrum stuff and thought Id ask

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With optics,you usually get what you pay for. (<---- PLEASE READ THIS AGAIN)
    Buy a scope from Walmart in the plastic package for $49.00 or a S&B at Mike's for $3,400.
    Somewhere in between those two is the glass of your dreams.
    BUT - - -> people that think they could possibly get great glass at a cheap price always make me laugh. --- SAWMAN

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    At least bump your budget up to vortex or primary arms.
    I agree with this. Most of the optics I have are from vortex, holosun or aimpoint and I do have one nightforce on a 6.5 bolt gun. That being said the monstrum I have is on a 10/22 and is just a plinker. Works fine in that role, but no I wouldn’t trust my life to it.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    $20 pawnshop. Wide view. VERY NICE. On target. What i do. Put on .22 zero, shoot alot, move to better rifle.

Attachments

• 20201107_124238_001.jpg
      20201107_124238_001.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 100
    • 20201107_124229.jpg
      20201107_124229.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 106

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Blackhound Optics, Arken, SWFA all make very high quality and solid optics that have quality beyond their lower price point. I've been doing a lot of research on optics of late, and I've yet to find a bad review for any of the above. They all are known to have good glass (not $2000 glass, but good), excellent tracking, and a good warranty, and each when compared to a Vortex in a similar pricepoint, have either been as good or better in all reviews I've seen. Blackhound has been making optics for 40 years and just recently started making optics under their own name. Arken is a newer company but has stellar reviews, and SWFA has been around the block for a few years as a sleeper, their single-power 10x scopes are widely regarded as being excellent. All these optics can be had in the 6-24x50 with 30-34mm tubes for $500 or less. Is it a Nightforce? No. Are they rock solid and reliable with good glass and etched optics with first focal plane and good tracking? Yes. As for Monstrum, I have a gen 2 and it actually did really well for about a year on a .22LR, then I put it on a .308 and now it won't hold zero on the .22LR. If you read the reviews, there are people who love them and have had zero problems and people that have had nothing but problems, kinda like a KelTec (you either get a good one or you get one that somehow slipped past QC)

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I believe that I have several scopes in my safes that I could/should offer up for sale. These are the $50 varirty that were on 22's in the distant past or someone gave me.
    I have one very old Tompson Center scope that was once mounted on a NEF converted 45-90Express. Held up great for many shots.
    Might just give them to some father that needs someting for his kids 22. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom