• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I've been reloading since 1979. The Liquid Alox Lubes applied correctly will resolve much leading problems, even at some "Jacketed Only Velocities". Gas Checks help tremendously if the bullets will accept one.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    An excellent source of knowledge is Glenn Fryxell's book From Ingot to Target ( free PDF download at www.lasc.us ) & Veral Smith's Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets . Both explain a bunch & show how to effectively cast & shoot your own . Very minimum on revolver throats is knowing exactly what size they are & sizing bullets to the largest throat . For a competition revolver that will be shot @ 50yds ie Bullseye , PPC or Bianchi Cup I want all to be uniform & polished slick . Taylor throating or at least an 11 degree forcing cone polished . My 38 special PPC gun ( S&W ) & my 38 wadcutter Bullseye gun ( Colt OMM ) have throats honed to .3585" .
    Concerning hotter magnum level loads in the 357 mag , plain based bullets will work as long as alloy is correct , bullets sized correctly & a good quality lube is used . A plain based design that I push @ 1200 out a 357 mag won't lead if I follow the above rules . Take that same bullet ( same alloy , same lube ) & push it @ 1500 out a 357 Max & it'll lead like hell . Point is correct alloy plain based will work with either pressure or velocity , when you have both together then use a gaschecked bullet . 357 carbine / rifle guys know this . A 180gr WFN I can push 1150ish from my 357 Blackhawk 6.5" , out a 16" carbine 1700fps same load .

Last edited:

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    An excellent source of knowledge is Glenn Fryxell's book From Ingot to Target ( free PDF download at www.lasc.us ) & Veral Smith's Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets . Both explain a bunch & show how to effectively cast & shoot your own . Very minimum on revolver throats is knowing exactly what size they are & sizing bullets to the largest throat . For a competition revolver that will be shot @ 50yds ie Bullseye , PPC or Bianchi Cup I want all to be uniform & polished slick . Taylor throating or at least an 11 degree forcing cone polished . My 38 special PPC gun ( S&W ) & my 38 wadcutter Bullseye gun ( Colt OMM ) have throats honed to .3585" .
    Thanks for that!

Read with much interest the chapter on leading:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    And there’s some commercial chemical compounds I’ve used with limited results. In the case of a lead bullet stuck in the barrel. I’ve heard of heating the barrel red hot with a torch and letting the lead run out. And from a reliable source not hurting the barrel or the bluing.
    Wooden dowel, rubber mallet. Been there. I would never heat a barrel up that hot, ever...

Top Bottom