• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptRoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Looking for a gunsmith to check out and possibly re finish a shotgun I have acquired.
    Regards,
    Roy

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Does JJ do bluing?
    Deep south is another option.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well here I go. getting in to trouble. Are there any real gunsmith. The real question is are you really looking for a real gunsmith , Are you willing to pay 60-bucks an hour for some one that knows what they are doing, Are looking for bubba down the street that you want have to drive to see. Are do you think 60 an hour is to much for someone's knowledge and 20,000 dollars or more of equipment business license building cost to do it the right way and years of time learning, then they go to U-tube and screwup because they don't have right drill bit are a good drill press to do it with so you spend 100 bucks for a couple of drill bits and taps and then you brake it off in a hole. Most of the work i get now is from some ones screw ups. Oh forgot about that one that want a barrel threaded , that don't under stand why you have to pull the barrel to do it , because john doe did one on U-tube in his garage.. And then there are the ones that don't know how to use a phone. But can text a hundred words a minute and still can't get it across what they want. And yes I have screwed up some small things and a some big things , but I have all ways tried to make it right, and will have it happen a gain, just try not to have it happen to much. Learned from the past. This is not pointed at any one person, so don't take it personable, This seemed like a good time to let off some steam. It has been hot and I don't have any AC in my shop. So if you want to donate an AC and come hook it up For free . Please by all means come on , will give you very good feed back on the form. And no I don't do much refinishing any more cost to much to do one thing at a time just touch up now. cold blue. Now I will shut up feel better Just my 100 cents. jj

CaptRoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well here I go. getting in to trouble. Are there any real gunsmith. The real question is are you really looking for a real gunsmith , Are you willing to pay 60-bucks an hour for some one that knows what they are doing, Are looking for bubba down the street that you want have to drive to see. Are do you think 60 an hour is to much for someone's knowledge and 20,000 dollars or more of equipment business license building cost to do it the right way and years of time learning, then they go to U-tube and screwup because they don't have right drill bit are a good drill press to do it with so you spend 100 bucks for a couple of drill bits and taps and then you brake it off in a hole. Most of the work i get now is from some ones screw ups. Oh forgot about that one that want a barrel threaded , that don't under stand why you have to pull the barrel to do it , because john doe did one on U-tube in his garage.. And then there are the ones that don't know how to use a phone. But can text a hundred words a minute and still can't get it across what they want. And yes I have screwed up some small things and a some big things , but I have all ways tried to make it right, and will have it happen a gain, just try not to have it happen to much. Learned from the past. This is not pointed at any one person, so don't take it personable, This seemed like a good time to let off some steam. It has been hot and I don't have any AC in my shop. So if you want to donate an AC and come hook it up For free . Please by all means come on , will give you very good feed back on the form. And no I don't do much refinishing any more cost to much to do one thing at a time just touch up now. cold blue. Now I will shut up feel better Just my 100 cents. jj
    Hey I recently came in to possession of H Mahillon sxs 12 guage shotgun that needs some work done to it and possible re finish. The gun has been in the family for 80 years. Is this something you can do?
    Regards,
    Roy Williams

CaptRoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hey I recently came in to possession of H Mahillon sxs 12 guage shotgun that needs some work done to it and possible re finish. The gun has been in the family for 80 years. Is this something you can do?
    Regards,
    Roy Williams
    Sorry I read your post. I see you are pretty much retired. Thanks anyway

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Greener Fields in Foley is an old school gunsmith that does bluing and refinishing. His shop is about a block South of US 98 next door to the Foley Fire Dept on Alston street. I am not affiliated in any way. Good luck!

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't know if Rick Rankin would want to take it on . He's semi-retired & only works part-time . On Garden St. in P'cola , Lock & Gun IIRC . Might be worth a call . He's chambered / rebarreled a few rifles for me over the years . Like all old 'smiths , if a project catches their fancy.........all bets are off . I brought him a Win 70 short action & a Douglass XX barrel blank . 5 days later I had a custom .358 Win Model 70 with a mag profile barrel . 358 Win happens to be one of his passions .
    Mark @ Greener Fields has also done work for me . Good man & quite reasonable .

Rpt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have old cowboy gun that needs to be smithed. Seems in good condition but I don’t have faith cylinder is lining up with barrel. Can you help?

Top Bottom