• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    After a really good night coyote hunting last night, I figured I try a different area pending the come-and-go rain we were having. On the way to my spot I saw some hogs about 400 yards away feeding just a few yards into the cow pasture. There just so happened to be an old trail that paralleled the tree line so I parked and started my walk.

I got right up on several and with the rain and wet ground I was quiet as a church mouse. I shot one and the others kind of ran a couple steps and stopped. The .300 BO with 190 Sub-X and loads is really quiet. I moved a little and ended up killing five in total.

After I got set up an old scared up boar, obviously caught, cut, and released some years back, came out and I shot him at about 125 yards. The rain started to move in so my night was cut short.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    After a really good night coyote hunting last night, I figured I try a different area pending the come-and-go rain we were having. On the way to my spot I saw some hogs about 400 yards away feeding just a few yards into the cow pasture. There just so happened to be an old trail that paralleled the tree line so I parked and started my walk.

I got right up on several and with the rain and wet ground I was quiet as a church mouse. I shot one and the others kind of ran a couple steps and stopped. The .300 BO with 190 Sub-X and loads is really quiet. I moved a little and ended up killing five in total.

After I got set up an old scared up boar, obviously caught, cut, and released some years back, came out and I shot him at about 125 yards. The rain started to move in so my night was cut short.

In FL cracker jargon, that last one would be referred to as bar or barr. Formally a barrow, aka a boar that has been castrated.

Old "barr" hogs usually make good smokers and sausage.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    When I was younger i worked around a brick Mason. Him and most of his crew at the time would hunt hogs with nothing but a pocket knife and dogs. I always thought that was crazy and said I'd at least want a pistol.
    I haven't tried the 190s yet. I'll have to check into them. Nice hogs bud!

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In my youth, the caretaker of the property bowhnter6pt hunts was Mr. "Jigs" Upshaw. To supplement his income, Jigs would trap hogs and sell them to a "boar man". The boar man would sell the hogs to the "hunting preserves" that advertised in the back pages of Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, etc.

I never did learn Mr. Upshaw's given name, just Jigs.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    In my youth, the caretaker of the property bowhnter6pt hunts was Mr. "Jigs" Upshaw. To supplement his income, Jigs would trap hogs and sell them to a "boar man". The boar man would sell the hogs to the "hunting preserves" that advertised in the back pages of Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, etc.

Wow. I didn't know there ever was a market for live wild Hogs like that. I always sorta thought they was a known nuisance in my lifetime. I usually see folks paying to get rid of them instead lol. Sounds like a fun side hustle tho
    I saw an article the other week. Didn't read it much tho and just gave it a glance. But apparently some geniuses in Canada bred a new hog type that was more resilient to the cold and harsh weather. Bigger too I think. But as always some got loose. It said like 50 or so was making it south into USA. In a fee months that will be a few hundred, and spreading very fast even further south. So Bowhunter should be seeing some of them in about a year or two I guess too

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Interesting what years was this? I’ll ask about him.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Last night I came upon an old hog trap, about five feet in length, three feet wide, and three feet tall.

It has to be at least twenty years old, wish now I took a picture of it. Next time I’m in that are I will.

Now I think about it, I bet it’s 30 plus years old.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Interesting what years was this? I’ll ask about him.

60's, 70's and 80's, but Mr. Upshaw was just one of many old timers I encountered growing up and listening to them rehash their lives over coffee at the local greasy spoon.

I left the area in 89 when I graduated from UF. Left Florida in 1990, moved back to Florida in 2019.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's interesting that you mention live hog trade because that is about the only thing you aren't supposed do with hogs these days in FL - Trap them and transport them alive.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Interesting... didn't know it was this involved...
    I'm sure they just don't want people trapping them and then dumping them on someone else's property.

When I was researching hunting regulations on private property (my own) while trying to deal with some rampaging hogs, that was my takeaway - "You can bait em, trap em, shoot em, stick em with whatever you want 24/7/365 on private property, but you can't transport them alive."

Thankfully after shooting about 10-ish of them over the course of 2 years and repairing some fences, we haven't had any more issues for almost 5 years now. I hit 4 of them with a suppressed 556x45 and they stopped after the first shot since the tone was different than they might have been used to (they ran 5 yards or so and stopped to look back for their fallen compatriot), but after I hit #2 the rest kept running but I got #3 and #4.

I've always thought about 300BLK but since the hogs are gone and ammo prices are insane, I just stick with 762x51, 556x45, and 357 Magnum which I have on hand. I just don't hunt enough to justify it, but I know subs with a good suppressor are crazy quiet.

Great shooting btw.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i didn't read the link..but FL like many other states claim to be Brucellosis free in the domestic herd. Nobody checks the wild heard.

That Bar looks like it may have had some Cracker activity...it is missing an ear where the dog had it?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    i didn't read the link..but FL like many other states claim to be Brucellosis free in the domestic herd. Nobody checks the wild heard.

That Bar looks like it may have had some Cracker activity...it is missing an ear where the dog had it?

Usually they cut the ear when caught or notch the ear. They also cut their nuggets off as well.

I always feel sorry for these ole dudes when I kill them thinking, damn, you just can't catch a break...lol.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    yes...that is/was a common practice to notch an ear...even barred they still root. Dang hard to catch again after the dogs tear an ear off tho

i read some 10 years ago that it was estimated that 56% of the wild hog population along the Ocmulgee River here in GA had Brucellosis. I lost a GREAT BMC from Spanish Creek Kennel here in GA to Brucellosis running hogs with him.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    yes...that is/was a common practice to notch an ear...even barred they still root. Dang hard to catch again after the dogs tear an ear off tho

i read some 10 years ago that it was estimated that 56% of the wild hog population along the Ocmulgee River here in GA had Brucellosis. I lost a GREAT BMC from Spanish Creek Kennel here in GA to Brucellosis running hogs with him.

That's why I shoot em and leave em for the most part... I know others process and eat them but to me it's just not worth the risk, no matter how small some might say it is.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    it isn't small! My friends wife that processed meat from the night hunting guide service they had caught it. It took them a long time to diagnose that is what it was...dang near killed her. I still clean out a trap every once in a while to get some sausage that I let others make.

every time I see a good sized guilt I wonder if it has it.

Reactions: FLT

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are a lot of folks with nothing to eat. To call it hunting at least donate the harvest instead of letting it rot. Otherwise it's just etermination, not hunting. JMHO. YMMV.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I do a bunch of exterminating

many food banks will not accept wild hogs as donations...if you have ever had 10 hogs on a trailer you brought back to town for all those folks that wanted one when you killed it....Trouble is they don't realize it comes with hair and guts when they ask....just easier to find a backhoe.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do a bunch of exterminating

many food banks will not accept wild hogs as donations...if you have ever had 10 hogs on a trailer you brought back to town for all those folks that wanted one when you killed it....Trouble is they don't realize it comes with hair and guts when they ask....just easier to find a backhoe.
    Scalding , removing the hair and butchering is more work than simply field dressing. But I don't know of any organizations that accept donations that are just shot and not even field dressed? Charity can be a bit of work. YMMV. But if done with rapidity, the back hoe keeps the local scavenger population lower.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    we dropped loads off at a local processor for weeks once. Trying to do as you suggest. They hung in his cooler after skinning until he had to bury them. When is the last time you made donations of this type and large. Maybe you just have better luck with it.

Top Bottom