• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well... to add to the debate of aluminum, steel, or poly magazines, I just had this MagPul Gen 3 10-round .308 magazine flake a corner off.

This is the second MagPul magazine I've personally owned that cracked or got damaged. The mag was not used that much, not dropped, nor abused. I loaded the rounds into it, inserted it into my Aero M5, fired a couple rounds, removed the mag and the cracked off piece caught my eye.

Oh well... like the other one, I'm sure MagPul will replace it.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Did the little chip off the corner really affect anything? I'm sure only a matter of time before that whole feed lip goes now that its weakened, but I wonder how long that chip would let you go... might be a good experiment

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Did the little chip off the corner really affect anything? I'm sure only a matter of time before that whole feed lip goes now that its weakened, but I wonder how long that chip would let you go... might be a good experiment

No... the mag continued to function fine. In fact, seeing as MagPul will make me ship it back on my dime I just might say screw it and just keep using it.

The last MagPul mag issue I had was just what you mentioned... the feed lip sheared off.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I've heard it's the coloring used in the polymer mix that weakens the mag body, but who really knows. I personally think it's the solvents in the lubes coupled with the heat. And now your latest bad mag isnt colored, either

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've heard it's the coloring used in the polymer mix that weakens the mag body, but who really knows. I personally think it's the solvents in the lubes coupled with the heat

Yep, I've read the colors do effect the material strength.

Both of these magazines were like new and stored inside the house. I'm not even sure if the foliage mag had even been used.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yep, I've read the colors do effect the material strength.

Both of these magazines were like new and stored inside the house. I'm not even sure if the foliage mag had even been used.
    Wow, that new...

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Gen3 even.... which is supposed to be the most reliable AR mag on the planet. Magpul ran full page ads bragging about the Marine Corps torture test that won it the Marine Corps contract, with like hundreds of thousands of rounds without a mag related problem

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Gen3 even.... which is supposed to be the most reliable AR mag on the planet. Magpul ran full page ads bragging about the Marine Corps torture test that won it the Marine Corps contract, with like hundreds of thousands of rounds without a mag related problem

You can look at the mags and tell they were like new. Freak chance I suppose.

Either way, I stopped buying P-Mags and won't ever buy them again unless someone is all but giving them away.

I was probably the last guy on the block to get P-Mags... I have a bunch, wish I never bought them actually and in turn simply got aluminum 30's instead. Oh well... maybe soon I can get damaged mag number three lol.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yeah I've had several AR10's over the years, every one were DPMS gen1's, and I much preferred the metal DPMS mags over the Magpuls. I preferred my DSA FAL I had before all three of those AR10's, though, but it was the heavy barrel model and just too dang heavy to get up and run with. My dream 308 is a stainless DSA FAL Paratrooper, but it'll never happen unless they start making them new again. I had an Argentine FN49 in 308 once, and it handled awesome, but took out of production proprietary 20 rounders, so I sold it. The C308 I had was junk. I think for 308, the newer lightweight AR10 really is the all around best semiautomatic compromise. Some are even like 6 pounds-ish. I'm hoping more people will produce metal feed lipped polymer mags for them to counter Magpuls market share, at the Magpul price

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Another way to look at it - -> how many total MagPuls are being used today ?? How many fail IN ANY WAY ??
    To me,kinda like anything else,it's all in the percentages. Everything fails. No argument there. Like a box stock Glock. How many fail and why ?? Something induced in the manufacturing process OR by the wholesaler,retailer,or end user ??
    I love any and all MagPuls. Used them in my AR/308's. Use them in my223/5.56's. Wish they made them for my 6.8's. ( In fact you can use them for 6.8SPC but can only get 6 or 7 in them (a 20 shot) before you start to loose the drop free option.)
    **** Have never owned one or used one in 308 >10rds. Have never used one in my 223/5.56's >20rds. My app is hunting or target. ---- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have picked up a couple of Amends lately after watching a guy easily knock the floorplate off of a MagPul. Watched him beat the Amend with on counter corners, vise anvils, with hammers even and it didn't break or come apart.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I had a scorpion mag explode inside my smg case the other night. It already had a chipped feed lip but was just a 20 rounder. I looked in my box the next day and thought "I don't remember putting all these loose rounds into this box with my gun.. ohhhhh!" LOL. Then say the broken mag beside it. But if you have issues with mags dropping free.. and if oils may be the problem on magpul mags.. try a trick I discovered and use turtle spray wax on everything on the mags. It works wonders and even makes them drop free better. I use it inside them also and works like a charm. Coat the follower too btw. But yeah it's making me want a MPX even more now. They're mags are expensive. But least they're metal.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    I don't personally own AR pmags because of this very issue. Aluminum GI with green followers work just as good and not polymer. The only polymer mags I run are Lancer L5AWM. Steel feed lips on a polymer body. My SHTF rig has C-products mags and ling term storage are a mix of C-products and milsurp aluminum.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    One would have to be a complete idiot to ever oil any plastic mag.
    A simple light spray (or wipe)with silicone does it for me.
    Anyone ever tried the Roller Mags ?? I have 10 shot and 20 shot. Working great so far. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: I am not as "TACTICLE" as you guys. Guess I just missed the boat.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I
    I have picked up a couple of Amends lately after watching a guy easily knock the floorplate off of a MagPul. Watched him beat the Amend with on counter corners, vise anvils, with hammers even and it didn't break or come apart.
    I have the amend2 glock 9mm 34 rd ones for the sub2000, and for the AR, so far, so good. I also have a magpul 9 that came with the sub2000 that looks like it's been put thru the ringer, still going.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I have a sheet pile of the pmags, trade items. When hunting I just use the metal ones, just me. Huge fan of the 20 rd gi. I'm sure when the gas stealing, cannibal horde, ziden voters arrive I'll be using steel.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Another way to look at it - -> how many total MagPuls are being used today ?? How many fail IN ANY WAY ??
    To me,kinda like anything else,it's all in the percentages. Everything fails. No argument there. Like a box stock Glock. How many fail and why ?? Something induced in the manufacturing process OR by the wholesaler,retailer,or end user ??
    I love any and all MagPuls. Used them in my AR/308's. Use them in my223/5.56's. Wish they made them for my 6.8's. ( In fact you can use them for 6.8SPC but can only get 6 or 7 in them (a 20 shot) before you start to loose the drop free option.)
    **** Have never owned one or used one in 308 >10rds. Have never used one in my 223/5.56's >20rds. My app is hunting or target. ---- SAWMAN

You're 100% corect with the numbers comparison... however, when you have two lightly used items from the same mfg. and they both exhibit structural flaws, it's kind of hard to ignore.

Top Bottom