• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ted-hurst

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Does anyone do annealing? I've read a bit about it and is it worth it? What equipment and where did you get it from? Cost? Benefits? Did you notice a difference?

Thanks
    Ted

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Does anyone do annealing? I've read a bit about it and is it worth it? What equipment and where did you get it from? Cost? Benefits? Did you notice a difference?

Thanks
    Ted

its a controversial topic. Based on my own results, I think it is worth it. I am using an AMP annealer. Benefits? Longer brass life and consistent POI at long distances. I anneal the brass every firing as part of the brass prep. My load Standard Deviation (SD) is less than 5 FPS. For my purpose, It is worth it.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an Annealeez and to me it’s not worth the time. I annealed after every firing with Hornady 6 Creedmoor brass and Lapua BRA. I didn’t see any difference in my numbers. I was consistently around 8-10 SD with the creedmoor and around 7 SD with the BRA. Im happy with my numbers without annealing. Annealed brass does feel good when seating Bullets.

dreamchaser69

Magic Maker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Is it worth it for standard pistol rounds? 9, 40, 45, 38spl, 380, etc?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its sai that annealing extends case life by softening the case where it gets "worked" the most (mouth, neck and shoulder). I'd never bothered with it but with the current ammo shortage it could well make a difference in your long term case availability.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    When I had a Martini Henry 577/450, the brass was VERY expensive. I imported some turned brass cases from England. Every 4-5 shots I annealed using the stand the case up in an inch of ice water, put a propane torch to the case mouth until the neck started to turn a dull red, and tip the case over into the water. Never lost a case to a mouth/neck split. This was about 20 years ago and the brass cost me $4 each back then.

I might start annealing again some of my large caliber rolling block cases if I start loosing any to splits. I've learned to barely size the case mouth just enough to hold the bullet and so splits so far. Obsolete brass is less in cost than it was years ago and somewhat more available, at least the cases I'm now using. I no longer have the Martini Henry...wish I still did.

Yoda

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never saw a difference in my numbers from a .223 F Class long range rifle, and accuracy is a premium when going 600 yds with that caliber. I used Winchester brass in a custom barrel/chamber

ted-hurst

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I saw the Annealeez and it looked real easy to use, I reload almost all of my stuff (.308, .223, 30-06, 30-30, 300 Blackout).

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I use a battery drill with a spark plugs socket on it to hold the case. A piece of copper wire as a twist tie to keep the drill turning slowly. Put a torch to the neck for 6-7 seconds and drop it in a bucket of water. I don't know that it really increases accuracy, but I have noticed a discernable difference in seating bullets in annealed vs non annealed brass and I've got some starline .308 brass that's have 10-12 reloads on them and no split necks.
    I'm too cheap to buy a machine to do it, though I've seriously considered making one that will work on my old shop smith that I use as a lathe and drill press
    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SDDasher

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most midrange (600yds)& long range (1000yds) Precision Shooters reload and anneal their brass for consistent neck tension on the bullet. Extended brass life is secondary to accuracy. For most of us reloading for casual range honing of our shooting skills with long guns annealing is probably negligible to accuracy. I do not recommend annealing for handgun brass.

Dave308

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a battery drill with a spark plugs socket on it to hold the case. A piece of copper wire as a twist tie to keep the drill turning slowly. Put a torch to the neck for 6-7 seconds and drop it in a bucket of water. I don't know that it really increases accuracy, but I have noticed a discernable difference in seating bullets in annealed vs non annealed brass and I've got some starline .308 brass that's have 10-12 reloads on them and no split necks.
    I'm too cheap to buy a machine to do it, though I've seriously considered making one that will work on my old shop smith that I use as a lathe and drill press
    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I do the same method ,works great and worth the time.

SDDasher

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen many variations used successfully to anneal brass. It all depends on what level of precision you’re looking to achieve. The proof is always on the target. There’s a reason successful long range shooters anneal their brass—accuracy. The newer machines analyze a sacrificial piece of your brass to give a precise setting to set the dwell time and temperature.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It may be necessary when forming or converting cases from one chambering to another.
    I think it might be beneficial for making case tension the same for getting super accurate loads, but that is guess and I have not seen anyone prove it.

Last edited:

SDDasher

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Case preparation and reloading for accuracy are but one step of many in the process of consistent performance at mid/long range competition. The shooter still has to do their part regardless of how accurate the gun or ammunition.

Mobile_Marksman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had the Annealeez for a few months and have not compared data yet. It is easy to use and enjoyable. If cost wasn't a factor I would spring for an AMP Annealer

Top Bottom