• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yup, if you were around to see the Dec 2012 "Panic" then you know what normal was between 2017 ish - Jan 2020. That was the time to buy, if you weren't good already pre - Dec 2012..
    Yeah, the post-Obama ammo scare in '08-09.... good thing was everything was out of stock, except 22LR.

They would limit you to 4 items per day (to give everyone a FAIR chance, lol). I would by 4 bulk 22LR packs every day or so - 550s were like $12.99-13.99 or so, the 333 and 500s were less, in the $8.99-10.99 range. I had a 40-gallon Rubbermaid bucket stacked to the brim with those. Man it was a PITA to move, so damn heavy. 2-ish cents a round, give or take.

Every other kind of ammo was gone for months except 22, which would sell out occasionally but then come back in stock again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had bulk pack .22 stacked since it was $7.99 for a 550 brick. I've got a bunch of 5.56 I paid 2cents a rnd for.

Like you said if you didn't get it when it was cheap, that's on you..

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had long been considering reloading when the obama BS started. I jumped in, bought what I needed to get started and continue.

When trump (yes, trump) let the nation know he was all about taking the guns first, then worrying about due process, followed by encouraging states to enact red flag "laws" (Google it), my reloading ramped up.

I've got enough .22 and shotgun ammo (survival ammo, IMO) to shoot food for quite some time, if I have to.

I've got enough handgun and rifle ammo loaded to make me comfortable, plus supplies to make more.

If I buy any factory ammo today, it is at a price I'm willing to pay, +1 if it can be used in the as-is state. If not, and the price is right, I'll burn it up and reload the brass. If it's more cost effective to buy components, I'll just walk on by the ammo shelf.

Never let 'em see ya panic. Even if you're in a panic. @#$% 'em.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    When I was short on storage room before Hillary was certain to be elected, I decided loading components were easier to store (I've been keeping all my factory brass for 10-15 years). 15K of primers and 25lbs of powder takes up just a little space; and at '16-17 prices, very palatable. I did the math and can reload a bunch of stuff if / when I need to. I wish I'd done it a decade sooner, of course.

I still primarily shoot factory ammo and replace it when deals pop up, as my ammo goals are long term.

I honestly think I have enough 22LR to shoot for the rest of my life, but I try to replace some when it gets to 4-5c a round, as long as it's quality ammo and not bulk.

Top Bottom