• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sitting here wondering around the internet and looked at what I was paying for the 'el-cheapo steel cased ammo a scant 5 years ago... It was 1/2 the cost it is today. The spike happened around early 2021.

Is that when someone said no more Russian ammo into the US?

jettjon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I got pragmatic with this a while ago. Also remember that while ammo lasts several lifetimes if stored properly, that money under your mattress is losing purchasing power daily. A few resources for the uninitiated:

Freedom Munitions / LAX Ammo - affordable quality remanufactured ammo, sometimes they have free shipping - sign up for their alerts or visit their site to maximize savings

SGAmmo - always has free shipping on orders over $200 (and let's be honest - why are you ordering less than $200 of ammo at a time, hmm?). Not always the best prices but I've found them to be one of the most reliable for actually stocking what they advertise

gunbot.net for your sortable ammo browsing needs

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    a few quality ammo cans with good seals, and a few Silica packets mixed in will store for a long time. Get the ammo out of the cardboard boxes that will absorb moisture. 2 cents..

how do you store yours?

I just found it interesting from 2018 prices to 2023 prices.

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I got pragmatic with this a while ago. Also remember that while ammo lasts several lifetimes if stored properly, that money under your mattress is losing purchasing power daily. A few resources for the uninitiated:

Freedom Munitions / LAX Ammo - affordable quality remanufactured ammo, sometimes they have free shipping - sign up for their alerts or visit their site to maximize savings

SGAmmo - always has free shipping on orders over $200 (and let's be honest - why are you ordering less than $200 of ammo at a time, hmm?). Not always the best prices but I've found them to be one of the most reliable for actually stocking what they advertise

gunbot.net for your sortable ammo browsing needs
    Those sites are great and I like the Freedom ammo as well. You are right in not ordering less than $200 in ammo, that's really the only way to get decent prices. Local shops have figured out they can charge $10-15 over internet prices for single boxes as they know you pay at least that for shipping up to a certain level.

I would also mention Target Sports USA and their Ammo+ membership. If you purchase a lot (and they have what you need) it can be worth it. $95/year you get 8% discount, free shipping on all orders (no minimum), and in-stock alerts 3 hours before non-members.

Last edited:

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sitting here wondering around the internet and looked at what I was paying for the 'el-cheapo steel cased ammo a scant 5 years ago... It was 1/2 the cost it is today. The spike happened around early 2021.

Is that when someone said no more Russian ammo into the US?
    That’s when COVID was introduced. Every manufacturer now uses that as an indefinite excuse to inflate prices. These prices are here to stay.

K-9

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've seen this movie too many times. Ammo never goes down in price for long, if ever. I took advantage during the 2018-2019 price drop every month because I finally could stock up a little (and not starve). It's hard to stock up, but it is even harder to pay "today's prices" whatever day it is.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've seen this movie too many times. Ammo never goes down in price for long, if ever. I took advantage during the 2018-2019 price drop every month because I finally could stock up a little (and not starve). It's hard to stock up, but it is even harder to pay "today's prices" whatever day it is.
    The damn thing is SUPPLY AND DEMAND ! These manufacturers can use any excuse they want for these high prices, but it is the folks that continue to pay them that will keep them high FOREVER ! In just four weeks the Bud Light controversy has them damn near giving that piss water away. Same would go for ammo if folks would just stop for 3-6 months. But noooooooooooooooooo

K-9

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am not so sure it is always "supply and demand" for nonperishable consumables. Demand seems to cause price increases, but they just never ever go back down to earth.

It wasn't long ago we were paying $1/gal for gas here forever. Hurricane Katrina came along in 2005, and it has never gone near $1 again. Once in a while, it would drop below $3. The new normal was what people would pay for gas, not supply vs demand.

I know how cheap ammo was in the 80s, 90s, and 00s and even during the Obama years compared to now. The prices are not following a simple supply/demand curve. You can probably bank on the fact that it won't return to 2018 or 2019 prices again.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am not so sure it is always "supply and demand" for nonperishable consumables. Demand seems to cause price increases, but they just never ever go back down to earth.

It wasn't long ago we were paying $1/gal for gas here forever. Hurricane Katrina came along in 2005, and it has never gone near $1 again. Once in a while, it would drop below $3. The new normal was what people would pay for gas, not supply vs demand.

I know how cheap ammo was in the 80s, 90s, and 00s and even during the Obama years compared to now. The prices are not following a simple supply/demand curve. You can probably bank on the fact that it won't return to 2018 or 2019 prices again.
    no it won't return to pre-biden or even pre-trump prices imo

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I agree that if everyone would just stop buying at these prices then we might see the prices go down. I think I’m one of the few that hasn’t had to buy ammo or reloading supplies in the last 3 years
    I’m in Harrison Arkansas today and just talked to a guy at a yard sale that said primers here were $50/1000 now, my wife saw yard sale sign so we’ve been stopping and she knows if she sees ammo to call me to check it out ever since she didn’t and when she got home and told me I was a little aggravated with her

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't shoot like I once did, Haven't bought ammo (or anything else) since before Hurricane Sally.

there is a gun on here I've been looking at though...

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yup. Jan 2020 was the last of cheap anything. If you didn't get it in the few Trump years before that, you're gonna pay for it now.
    And if you were of buying age, you only have yourself to blame for not taking full advantage of the 'salad days' of the Trump years.

But most people are lazy and don't think much past the coming weekend, or the next paycheck, or getting their carrot wet.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup, if you were around to see the Dec 2012 "Panic" then you know what normal was between 2017 ish - Jan 2020. That was the time to buy, if you weren't good already pre - Dec 2012..

But some people don't plan accordingly.
    Yeah all those neckbeards in the white rental vans....

iu
    Na, boomers mainly but all kinds of people trying to scalp.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I agree that if everyone would just stop buying at these prices then we might see the prices go down. I think I’m one of the few that hasn’t had to buy ammo or reloading supplies in the last 3 years
    I’m in Harrison Arkansas today and just talked to a guy at a yard sale that said primers here were $50/1000 now, my wife saw yard sale sign so we’ve been stopping and she knows if she sees ammo to call me to check it out ever since she didn’t and when she got home and told me I was a little aggravated with her
    Good pawn shops in Harrison. I used to go visit my aunt up there she sadly passed away. Go see the daisy museum!

Top Bottom