• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I'm looking to work on a couple uppers and I believe this is a knockoff Geiselle reaction rod. I'm wondering if I should get the aluminum or pony up for the steel. Does anyone have experience? Couldn't find much with Google

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ive worked on several ar uppers, more than I care to speak of online. Never needed one of those. I use a standard plastic upper receiver holder that encases the upper and a standard plastic mag well insert to hold lowers. I have never had the plastic holder mar or damage any upper even cerakote finishes.

Edit: forgot to add that either aluminum or steel should be fine, you should encounter any barrel nuts over 100ft lbs unless your working on a radical firearms build, them dummies sent me something so tight once damn near broke my vise.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ive worked on several ar uppers, more than I care to speak of online. Never needed one of those. I use a standard plastic upper receiver holder that encases the upper and a standard plastic mag well insert to hold lowers. I have never had the plastic holder mar or damage any upper even cerakote finishes.

Edit: forgot to add that either aluminum or steel should be fine, you should encounter any barrel nuts over 130ft lbs.
    Until you try a sidecharger upper....oops. I switched to the pin in type block. I also hate indexing handguards that use allen screws to hold them on. Always a PITA.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Edit: forgot to add that either aluminum or steel should be fine, you should encounter any barrel nuts over 100ft lbs unless your working on a radical firearms build, them dummies sent me something so tight once damn near broke my vise.
    Old school bushmaster have red lock tight on the barrel nuts and handguards ( tube type) hair dryer or heat gun required or you will destroy it.

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mine is made from steel. I wouldn’t consider an aluminum one. Just my opinion though. Mine came from Botach. At the time I bought mine aluminum wasn’t an option.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought the steel one from botach for 50 bucks a couple weeks ago. I love the thing personally. I was on the fence about the clam shell holder or the knock off rod but i had to make a decision.
    I'm happy with the purchase. I love how I can spin the upper around with ease. Just pull upper off rod, spin and insert. Can position upper in any clock like direction and don't have to tight and loose vise. I highly recommend for muzzle device and barrel nut changing. I think aluminum would have been fine but now I have a tool that will last a lifetime and then some

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I know I'm not up on the latest U-tube way of doing thing
    but why not just use a barrel vise , and you want have to worrier about damaging the upper. just my 5 cents

Top Bottom