• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nb&twil

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been kicking around the idea of a range membership where my daughter and I can shoot some longer distances than the lane we have at our hunting property. Looking to get some insight about ranges in this area. Both Altus and Southern seem to have some nice options for varying distances. Have any of you been to both? Could you make a case that one is better than the other? Crowds? Overall facility? Family friendly (my daughter is only 11)?
    Thanks in advance for any help you all might be able to offer.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Altus is an excellent place for longe range shooting. Staff has always been helpful and there's hardly ever a crowd.

nb&twil

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Southern turns into a clay grill in the summer.
    Altus is my happy place.
    Turns into a clay grill? Are you saying it gets uncomfortably hot there during the summer? I would imagine anywhere around here feels similar during the summer.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Turns into a clay grill? Are you saying it gets uncomfortably hot there during the summer? I would imagine anywhere around here feels similar during the summer.
    YES, Southern is one giant "clay pit" so there is a lot of surface area for the sun to heat up and depending on the direction of the wind
    You should make a list of what you want; Max. distance , facilities ; shooting bench's that will accommodate both you and your daughter, quality target stands / metal targets, ect. then schedule a visit to each and compare which range has the most of what you want

nb&twil

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Excellent point. I plan to tour both facilities before making any decisions.
    Are there any other ranges around that I’m overlooking in my search?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Even during summer, there’s always a breeze at Altus. And the ground is grass, so it doesn’t soak up and radiate the heat like my green egg and Southern do.

nb&twil

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks so much for the words guys. I made it out to both ranges to have a look. I liked both, but Altus was the easy winner in the comparison. Glad you guys mentioned the temps in the summer. Something I may not have thought about having visited both in such pretty weather.

Rockola2004

Old Soul Gun Enthusiast
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had a great time at Southern Tactical yesterday with "Sandspur6", and "Harm51" and others too! I haven't made that much noise in a LONG time. It was my first time shooting there and I really like the facility and the staff. I can be on the free Conecuh National Forest range much quicker from my house, but there is usually a crowd.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Excellent point. I plan to tour both facilities before making any decisions.
    Are there any other ranges around that I’m overlooking in my search?
    Keep us up dated on your search. If possible , take your daughter with you so she can give her thoughts on what's available

Top Bottom