• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I like the .308, for all the reasons stated above. The scout style looks good, but that scope stuck out on the handguard would be very different vs. A standard scope set up. ( after x about of years of shooting) I had a savage hog hunter( threaded, high IRON SIGHTS, detachable mag, etc, etc.)and should have kept it. Short, handy and very accurate with plain jane ammo. Savages can easily be rebarreled if another caliber catches your eye. I think baddog? On here that does alot of work with them and has some impressive builds.
    The forward mounted scopes took me some getting used to, also. But the advantages were too big to ignore. I can wear whatever hat I want (including a NV head harness or rhino mount kevlar), no more scope bite for any of my family members (my five year old got a nasty black eye, but he never did that again). I can reload thru the top faster, clear a jam faster (rare, granted) and there's nothing in the way of ejecting brass. My 16" barreled Paratrooper SKS has a forward mounted 2-7x Vortex, and my 10 round stripper clips load faster than my 20 round mags. I can stay real low in the prone with no 20, 30, 50 round mags sticking out the bottom. And I can leave my strippers loaded indefinitely, no problems with feed lips or springs or anything. (My 30 and 50 round SKS mags catch up to the strippers time, though.) If and when I want to go hunting, 20 seconds to swap it over to a flush fit five round non-detachable SKS mag and then my Paratrooper handles and points like a fine wood stocked Mauser, with a forward mounted 2-7x scope, in semiautomatic. Besides the semiautomatic capability, ALL of these benefits are available to the Mauser and Mosin scout rifle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210709-234543_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210709-234543_Chrome.jpg
      526.5 KB · Views: 71
    • Screenshot_20210709-234447_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210709-234447_Chrome.jpg
      646.9 KB · Views: 68
    • Screenshot_20210709-234742_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210709-234742_Chrome.jpg
      153.4 KB · Views: 67
    • Screenshot_20210709-234820_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210709-234820_Chrome.jpg
      119.2 KB · Views: 67
    Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    The scouts are supposed to be at low weights.. 6.6lbs naked.. and short sizes also.. 1 meter I think.. So pretty compact. And yeah I think the scope being forward has many good traits. All those you listed are some I didn't even think about and sound great. I think the original intent tho was to maintain a greater situational awareness also. Meaning u can see alot more of what's going on around you even if while you're zoomed in. And be able to toggle targets quickly. Gonna research to see if anyone makes a scout style LPVO.. That would be awesome if so. I didn't knownit was such a popular setup in use. I thought maybe it was more of a niche thing. But seeing so many that also like it now. I think I may deffo go this route. Just have to decide if I want semi auto or bolt. Since I own the sig semi auto already. I may go bolt. Will be a while tho maybe. Have to curb the gun buys a bit soon. My kids having twins lol. So there goes my play money for a bit I bet lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    The scouts are supposed to be at low weights.. 6.6lbs naked.. and short sizes also.. 1 meter I think.. So pretty compact. And yeah I think the scope being forward has many good traits. All those you listed are some I didn't even think about and sound great. I think the original intent tho was to maintain a greater situational awareness also. Meaning u can see alot more of what's going on around you even if while you're zoomed in. And be able to toggle targets quickly. Gonna research to see if anyone makes a scout style LPVO.. That would be awesome if so. I didn't knownit was such a popular setup in use. I thought maybe it was more of a niche thing. But seeing so many that also like it now. I think I may deffo go this route. Just have to decide if I want semi auto or bolt. Since I own the sig semi auto already. I may go bolt. Will be a while tho maybe. Have to curb the gun buys a bit soon. My kids having twins lol. So there goes my play money for a bit I bet lol

Yeah, semiautomatic will be heavy. And wood and steel will be heavier than aluminum and polymer. But it all comes down to how it will be used. Save your life and your families lives? Semiautomatic is the way to go. Sniper teams have the luxury of having a bolt rifle paired with a semiauto rifle at the same time. You dont have to go it alone. Find a partner

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah need to find some buds with similar interests and get a long range target spot picked out. I have my own range but it's no where near long enough atm. Need to clear out some more wilderness. And yeah snipers also have the luxury of range. If you're buddy is spotting the round.. you can run the bolt and be ready again by time he gives feedback on the target. So semi auto isn't a big deal to them. But spotters do carry semi and full autos in case they get compromised or have close threats. Need to buy some more gear too. But it's a bit too hot lately to even try this time of year. I'll be looking tho when fall comes around again. Hopefully by then I'll have a long range spot by then. Been out of the gun loop for a good decade or so and got back into it again these past two years or so and collecting them again. I'll be ready by then I hope. Everytime I go to fall back and buy gear like a spotter scope etc I instead keep finding new guns instead lol. So yeah soon I hope lol.

Leverdude

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    243 is a great caliber but I have been leaning to the .25 calibers such as 25-06, 257 Weatherby, 257 Robert's and 250 Savage. Check out this article on the Robert's by Meat Eater. Can't go wrong with any of the above.

The Best Deer Cartridge You’ve Probably Never Shot | MeatEater Hunting

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking for a good all around hunting rifle. Will be hunting deer. Want something that is good at distance. Not trying to break the bank. Was considering a Savage .308,270 or 30-06 but open to suggestions. Thanks for any input!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatal
    i have seen many deer and elk go down with a browning a bolt in 25-06 and leupold 3x-9x in my arms. now i am older 73 plus but if i hunt again for deer it will be with my 25-06. i might have to change my optic to suit the distance of my shot. i might add i never took a deer or an elk at anything more than 250 yards. enjoy your search.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    for cost concerns, and availability in almost all areas, .308 or 30-06.. wide variety of loadings for each....and the rifles will be more cost effective also

Top Bottom