• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive been looking around for a decent low profile AK side mount and red dot. What do you use?

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Ive been looking around for a decent low profile AK side mount and red dot. What do you use?

RS Regulate. It's a two piece mounting system with all kinds of options. I use a 301 lower with an AKML (Aimpoint Micro) upper mount. Absolutely rock solid. Master Mount is another good one. I don't use it but I know people that do and it's a solid option.

As for the red dot - budget options like Holosun or Primary Arms are really good sights, or you could bump your budget and get an Aimpoint or Trijicon. RS Regulate makes direct optic mounts for pretty much whatever you could want.

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't have a side mount on my AK, but if you are looking for other options, you get the Ultimak gas tube. It is a little pricey, but I love mine. Makes it like a scout set up. Super solid and fairly easy to install. For a red dot, I have a Bushnell TRS-25 that I fucking love. I have had it on my rifle for about 10 years, I have only zeroed once, its on its second battery, and it is definitely not a safe queen. I take it to range any chance I get and I have put thousands of rounds down the barrel.

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RS Regulate. It's a two piece mounting system with all kinds of options. I use a 301 lower with an AKML (Aimpoint Micro) upper mount. Absolutely rock solid. Master Mount is another good one. I don't use it but I know people that do and it's a solid option.

As for the red dot - budget options like Holosun or Primary Arms are really good sights, or you could bump your budget and get an Aimpoint or Trijicon. RS Regulate makes direct optic mounts for pretty much whatever you could want.
    The RS Regulate mount seems pretty good. Hopefully they can restock their upper mounts soon. Ive already shelled out the money on an Aimpoint t2 and an MRO so probably will go budget on this one. Im new to the world of accessorizing AK's, always just shot them as they were but my eyes have gotten worse and I love shooting my AR's with the red dots. You have pointed me in the right direction, thanks!

Is there any reason not to get the full size 303? Im putting it on a sam7sf. Maybe a bit less weight if I get the 301 since the rifle is already pretty heavy. Doubt id ever want to put a magnifier on it anyways.

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't have a side mount on my AK, but if you are looking for other options, you get the Ultimak gas tube. It is a little pricey, but I love mine. Makes it like a scout set up. Super solid and fairly easy to install. For a red dot, I have a Bushnell TRS-25 that I fucking love. I have had it on my rifle for about 10 years, I have only zeroed once, its on its second battery, and it is definitely not a safe queen. I take it to range any chance I get and I have put thousands of rounds down the barrel.
    Ive looked at the Bushnells some but never knew anyone who uses one. Its good to hear your feedback on them. Checking them out. Thanks!

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The RS Regulate mount seems pretty good. Hopefully they can restock their upper mounts soon. Ive already shelled out the money on an Aimpoint t2 and an MRO so probably will go budget on this one. Im new to the world of accessorizing AK's, always just shot them as they were but my eyes have gotten worse and I love shooting my AR's with the red dots. You have pointed me in the right direction, thanks!

Is there any reason not to get the full size 303? Im putting it on a sam7sf. Maybe a bit less weight if I get the 301 since the rifle is already pretty heavy. Doubt id ever want to put a magnifier on it anyways.

No reason not to other than aesthetics, IMO. The weight is negligible, especially if you're putting it on a milled gun. If you already have Aimpoint micro pattern sights, I found the AKML upper on Amazon just now.

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No reason not to other than aesthetics, IMO. The weight is negligible, especially if you're putting it on a milled gun. If you already have Aimpoint micro pattern sights, I found the AKML upper on Amazon just now.
    Nice, I hadn't even looked elsewhere for the upper yet. I'm definitely going with this mount after reading a little about them. Just what I was looking for.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just mounted a Romeo 5 on this yesterday. Seems solid, very low profile, no problem field stripping. Lower third cowitness. Excited to go sight it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What I use with co-witness. The ultimak clamps to the barrel and serves as the gas tube. There is really no point in putting magnifying optics on such guns in may opinion. It is a 200 yard rifle.
    1605059375597.png

The U bolts might even stiffen the barrel making the gun more accurate and you want a slight slack between the end of the ultimak and the gas port.
    1605059875966.png

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up ordering the RS regulate mount and a Holosun HS503CU. Have any of you ordered from opticsplanet.com before?

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    I ordered a UTG AK side mount and HS50something from Opticsplanet for my saiga and it came in super quick! I hear people pooping on them but I've only had good experiences so far.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Also! I know you mentioned you went with the RS mount (which is quite good!), for people shopping on a tighter budget I have been extremely satisfied with the UTG Pro side mount. I grabbed mine off of opticsplanet for around $37, and have used it on 12 guage and 7.62x39 AKs with no issues at all. Good build and made in the USA!

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Ive looked at the Bushnells some but never knew anyone who uses one. Its good to hear your feedback on them. Checking them out. Thanks!
    I've got one and ran it on couple ars before it found a home on a 22inch 500 s&w handi . Its held up so far.

Top Bottom