• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    “Arsenal used to be cream of the crop for a retail AK but their quality control has nosedived in recent years, inspect it thoroughly if you come across one. “

Fear, what do you base that on?

Personal experience as well as posters over on the AK Files. There are tons of horror stories over there. Personally though, I picked up an SLR104FR from Nate / Little Jack's back in 2014 or so and it was fantastic - barrel components straight as an arrow and a beautiful finish, and it came with a 30rd Circle 10 magazine. I got a 106CR a few years later and it was okay but nothing like the 104 - canted components, finish that wore off if you looked at it wrong, and a dinky 5rd magazine. It zeroed fine and ran fine, but at $1.2k I was expecting more, like the 104 I had bought previously for less money.

I got a 106F in 2019 and it was absolutely garbage. Every barrel component was canted (RSB was canted left, GB left, FSB right). I noticed this at the FFL, but I run AKs a lot and it's just part of the game - as long as they zero, they're fine. So, I took it to the range to zero it and it was hitting all over the place - couldn't even get on paper at 25 yards. It was to the point where I'd consider it completely unsafe to shoot. Many WTFs later, upon closer inspection, the front trunnion itself was installed crooked, so the barrel was also crooked. Combine that with the canted barrel components and it was basically a disaster. I had multiple people look at it and nobody noticed the crooked trunnion until I popped the dust cover and gas tube off and told them to look down the center of the rifle. It was hard to see when everything was together, but once you broke it down and saw it you couldn't un-see it. I missed it myself at the FFL - now, I don't care how long the salesman has to wait, I'm inspecting an AK down to the disconnector spring.

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Personal experience as well as posters over on the AK Files. There are tons of horror stories over there. Personally though, I picked up an SLR104FR from Nate / Little Jack's back in 2014 or so and it was fantastic - barrel components straight as an arrow and a beautiful finish, and it came with a 30rd Circle 10 magazine. I got a 106CR a few years later and it was okay but nothing like the 104 - canted components, finish that wore off if you looked at it wrong, and a dinky 5rd magazine. It zeroed fine and ran fine, but at $1.2k I was expecting more, like the 104 I had bought previously for less money.

I got a 106F in 2019 and it was absolutely garbage. Every barrel component was canted (RSB was canted left, GB left, FSB right). I noticed this at the FFL, but I run AKs a lot and it's just part of the game - as long as they zero, they're fine. So, I took it to the range to zero it and it was hitting all over the place - couldn't even get on paper at 25 yards. It was to the point where I'd consider it completely unsafe to shoot. Many WTFs later, upon closer inspection, the front trunnion itself was installed crooked, so the barrel was also crooked. Combine that with the canted barrel components and it was basically a disaster. I had multiple people look at it and nobody noticed the crooked trunnion until I popped the dust cover and gas tube off and told them to look down the center of the rifle. It was hard to see when everything was together, but once you broke it down and saw it you couldn't un-see it. I missed it myself at the FFL - now, I don't care how long the salesman has to wait, I'm inspecting an AK down to the disconnector spring.
    Were those from KVAR?

7.62x39

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For a Maadi you'll be stuck surfing gun shows, local shops / pawn shops, Gunbroker, or local boards like this one. Honestly, to answer your question, AK prices suck big time nowadays and unless you can get someone to offer you a good deal in a private sale, you're hosed. If you want one in today's market, it's pay to play.

Go with an imported rifle or at least a parts kit build. Be patient if you have to, wait for the right rifle. Atlantic Firearms bring Polish WBP rifles in pretty consistently - these are good to go and super nice but the prices suck and seem to get suckier every time they bring in a batch. Zastava ZPAPs are also good to go - Gulf Coast in Milton has them fairly regularly. WASRs are hitting $1000 now and they're not worth that, despite being good rifles in general. Arsenal used to be cream of the crop for a retail AK but their quality control has nosedived in recent years, inspect it thoroughly if you come across one. Chinese AKs are good to go, but even the cheaper ones are skyrocketing in price right now. MAK90s are sitting at $1000 all day and climbing. I saw one at Grey Man in Milton a few weeks ago, it might still be there - haven't been by in a while.

I'd avoid any domestic AK (especially Century) except for the K-USA KR-103, and they're unobtanium right now anyway. Hope this helps some.
    Good luck on your hunt.

This is exactly why when I ran across a unconverted Saiga for $1200 I scooped it up .

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Damn, that definitely seems like an exception than the norm but for the price people ask for 106f that is crazy. I had a 106f and it ran great, the fsb had a slight bend on one of the ears but shot straight and was a great rifle. I'm not sure if the bend came from shipping or what.

Arsenal milled are the way to go imo. You can get the sam7r or sam7sf through kvar. The sam7sf to me is the coolest AK you can get - Ambi safety that is similar to an AR, folding stock that doesnt get in the way of optics, 100 series fsb for muzzle brakes... Just an amazing package.

The thing to understand with arsenals are that 999/1000 anything wrong will be cosmetic. The finish is poor but the overall fit and parts are solid.

There is only one arsenal id avoid and that is any 107r that is new production. You can tell by the serial number. They've had a lot of issues and aren't made by arsenal Bulgaria but a subcontractor. The milled are all made from arsenal Bulgaria and amazing rifles.

But yeah, if you can swing the 1800 I'd go for a sam7sf. If you can't, I'd go for the new zpap from zastava. Make sure it has a bulged trunnion as the first run of them did not and are inferior.

Be sure to avoid anything from PSA, Pioneer arms, or anything in general made in USA aside from the kusa kr103. I still don't personally trust the kr103 since it is so new to the market and limited availability but that is the only one I'd attempt that is made in USA.

I will say AK is a niche gun these days. More of a collector than a cheap run it forever gun. You can get a really solid AR for the same price as an entry AK and it will serve you much better if it is your main rifle.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The Yugo/Zastava AK was good about ten years ago, then they took a nose dive in quality control. After changing management somewhere along the line about 2 years ago, they're now one of the better AK's to have. Before the management change I found a new unfired Yugo AK sitting on a dealers table at a gun show in Maine with receiver rivets so loose they were stopping the bolt carrier from moving all the way back. The dealer apologized profusely and said it was fresh from the importers, right out of the box like that. I walked away, dumbfounded, and glad I still had my STG2000C. I have since bought a brand new Yugo and I am very happy with it. The fit and finish on this new latest version is much better, but it also cost twice as much as that one with bad rivets. After all that, I still prefer my trusty SKS Paratrooper and I reach for it first.

Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    That might explain things.:rolleyes:
    Potentially. From what I've seen around the net, they're not exactly stellar when it comes to QC checks either. Cstokes mentioned the SAM rifles being better - I haven't had hands on one for a long time, but if Arsenal Bulgaria is still doing the majority of the work on those and not ISD like the stamped guns, then I believe it. Just passing what info I had. :)

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Potentially. From what I've seen around the net, they're not exactly stellar when it comes to QC checks either. Cstokes mentioned the SAM rifles being better - I haven't had hands on one for a long time, but if Arsenal Bulgaria is still doing the majority of the work on those and not ISD like the stamped guns, then I believe it. Just passing what info I had. :)
    SAMS are as close to Bulgarian military as one can get. Most folks don’t realize that the stamped guns are not,even if they say Arsenal. They are ISD commercial with totally separate processes.
    I would not hesitate to buy a milled SAM especially from Atlantic Firearms.

Dougy Fresh

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just curious what y'all think of the Riley Defense RAK-47?

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Just curious what y'all think of the Riley Defense RAK-47?

They were pretty iffy for a while. Supposedly they're getting better but the examples I've handled haven't inspired confidence, honestly. Pick up imports or good parts kit builds while you still can. ZPAPs, WASRs and SAMs are still coming in.

Personally I'm rooting for PSA and KUSA. I hope PSA can get its QC issues under control and it'd be nice to see KUSA actually release more rifles than just the 103 series. I'd like to try an AK102 from both companies - PSA beat KUSA to market and from what little I've seen, they're doing well so far. Fingers crossed.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Supposedly PSA upped their build quality with the Gen 3 models. KUSA seems to be a solid choice. I have an older Yugo M-70 AB1 that is built like a tank. I also picked up a VSKA which has been very solid shooter. (I haven't done the Rob Ski 5,000 rd torture test :rolleyes: ) Although he did one on the VSKA. I have had zero issues with it other than I wish it had a rail. It is a bit more accurate than the Yugo most likely due to the stock configuration. It used to be, made in USA, AK's were pariah's on the market but that appears to be changing. I am old enough to remember when the Ruger "Six" series were considered cheap and inferior due to their cast frames compared to S&W forged K frames. (The Six series now are hard to find at crazy prices and outlasted many of the "higher quality" S&W's.):cool:

Robin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Supposedly PSA upped their build quality with the Gen 3 models. KUSA seems to be a solid choice. I have an older Yugo M-70 AB1 that is built like a tank. I also picked up a VSKA which has been very solid shooter. (I haven't done the Rob Ski 5,000 rd torture test :rolleyes: ) Although he did one on the VSKA. I have had zero issues with it other than I wish it had a rail. It is a bit more accurate than the Yugo most likely due to the stock configuration. It used to be, made in USA, AK's were pariah's on the market but that appears to be changing. I am old enough to remember when the Ruger "Six" series were considered cheap and inferior due to their cast frames compared to S&W forged K frames. (The Six series now are hard to find at crazy prices and outlasted many of the "higher quality" S&W's.):cool:
    I have a PSA gen3......can't find anything bad to say about it.Acurate for my old eyes. Has held up well. What should I be looking for?

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I guess ill resurrect. Im new to AKs and looking to get into them. I see that PSAs are frowned upon...what about the new 100 series and what are the differences between the 102-105? Looks like some are sbr typed, but thats all i can figure out.

1672426258063.png
    1672426109974.png

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The gen 4 & 5 PSA's seem to be getting pretty solid reviews and are much improved over the gen 2's & 3's. Full disclosure I don't own one, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a PSAK 103. Zastava M-70, KUSA-103, I have a 1987 Yugo M-70 AB2 that is a very solid shooter, if you like underfolders. My VSKA has been a solid shooter and gets more range time than the Yugo. Good luck!

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Im also left handed and it look like there no way to convert the safety to lefty...switching with right hand will take some getting used to after watching some videos on how to run left handed.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I don't know much about the Riley Defense. The PSA has the well proven FN barrel which would be a big plus for me for more not much more $$. Those Zastavas are a great choice as well. Zastava's require Yugo specific furniture and will not work with standard AKM furniture.
    *edit: The Ruger PC 9 would be a good choice the charging handle can easily be swapped for lefty's.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I don't know much about the Riley Defense. The PSA has the well proven FN barrel which would be a big plus for me for more not much more $$. Those Zastavas are a great choice as well. Zastava's require Yugo specific furniture and will not work with standard AKM furniture.
    Ah ok. Im wanting to "modern-ize" it to be more useful. Rails, MLOK, etc.
    Found a good video from PSA about the rifles Gens.

Looks like the GF 5s are getting better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom