• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Im also left handed and it look like there no way to convert the safety to lefty...switching with right hand will take some getting used to after watching some videos on how to run left handed.
    I never used my safety on any of my AK's. Keep your booger picker straight and off the trigger and maintain your muzzle awareness and then no safety is needed. After that if you're still worried about it... take the bullet out of the chamber

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I don't know much about the Riley Defense. The PSA has the well proven FN barrel which would be a big plus for me for more not much more $$. Those Zastavas are a great choice as well. Zastava's require Yugo specific furniture and will not work with standard AKM furniture.
    *edit: The Ruger PC 9 would be a good choice the charging handle can easily be swapped for lefty's.
    Need to add that the NEW Yugos manufactured under the NEW management are "a great choice". The Yugos that came before that management change were junk. A few years ago I personally seen them Yugos new in the box at the show with loose rivets so loose couldn't even pull the bolt back... Yep. Something also worth noting is that the new Yugo AK's have sheet metal that is like 50% thicker than other sheet metal AK's and so they should be inherently more accurate, albeit heavier

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    but everyone is telling me to go full AK.
    Hey not everybody... I said SKS. And I've owned plenty of all 3 in question. A service rifle will over 90% of the time be utilitarian. Choose the more comfortable, more ergonomical, more accurate, the longer lasting... the SKS. If it's mag compatibility you want then choose an SKS that takes AK mags. Short of finding that, choose a milled receiver AK, not sheet metal, for the long haul

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    The Yugo/Zastava AK was good about ten years ago, then they took a nose dive in quality control. After changing management somewhere along the line about 2 years ago, they're now one of the better AK's to have. Before the management change I found a new unfired Yugo AK sitting on a dealers table at a gun show in Maine with receiver rivets so loose they were stopping the bolt carrier from moving all the way back. The dealer apologized profusely and said it was fresh from the importers, right out of the box like that. I walked away, dumbfounded, and glad I still had my STG2000C. I have since bought a brand new Yugo and I am very happy with it. The fit and finish on this new latest version is much better, but it also cost twice as much as that one with bad rivets. After all that, I still prefer my trusty SKS Paratrooper and I reach for it first.
    Yep

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Hey not everybody... I said SKS. And I've owned plenty of all 3 in question. A service rifle will over 90% of the time be utilitarian. Choose the more comfortable, more ergonomical, more accurate, the longer lasting... the SKS. If it's mag compatibility you want then choose an SKS that takes AK mags. Short of finding that, choose a milled receiver AK, not sheet metal, for the long haul
    By the way, there are AK's that take AR15 mags chambered in 223/556. Made by IWI. In case you want an AK for AK's sake but all your friends are still running AR15's

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I want an AK or SKS for the reliability factor as well as being able to use an AK mags and ammo for both.

Last edited:

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have the AR covered for US and NATO rounds

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I want an AK or SKS for the reliability factor as well as being able to use an invaders mags and ammo ( and being able to buy in any country cheaply)
    Not knowing what country will be invading, you'll need quite a selection then. And an AK74, not an AK47, because chances are that's what you'd face. Ammo is getting scarce for that one, too

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've been tailing the advice of a friend for a few years...he uses ar normally but has a sweet AK ready to go.I'm almost there...just need an AK or SKS now.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Not knowing what country will be invading, you'll need quite a selection then. And an AK74, not an AK47, because chances are that's what you'd face. Ammo is getting scarce for that one, too
    So "they're" (commy countries) switching to 5.45 now instead of 7.62?

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you get a Yugo SKS they actually fall under the curio relic category, so they would likely be exempt from future bans! 5.45 x 39 is probably going to be very scarce in the future. There is still a LOT of 7.62 x 39 available from various countries including US. Just something else to consider...

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I want an AK or SKS for the reliability factor as well as being able to use an AK mags and ammo for both.

Honestly, you’d be better off with a high tier QC’d AR such as BCM, DD or real colt for the money. Ergos, training, ammo availability, etc all are huge pluses for ARs. Don’t get me wrong, I love AKs but at the end of the day for the money you can get a damn good AR compared to how silly the AK market is now.

As for some of the chat on Riley and PSA I’d still steer clear personally. I don’t like PSAs model unless you’re just buying a gun for the hell of it. Their QC is unacceptable for anything to trust your life with imo.

KUSA seems to have taken a turn, I’ve heard a lot of negativity around them and really bad PR.

Top Bottom