• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hey guys,

Thought I'd share this with the people that don't do Reddit much... Here's a really nice buyers guide for AKs. Also, I'm going to try to be a bit more active over here to help... just know that not all AKs are created equally and are reliable (ie do not buy american made AKs). The following guides are vetted buy some folks that have extensive knowledge with AKs. Also, feel free to hit me up if you ever need help.

Here's the main page with everything on it:

Here's the AK specific buyer's guide:

And here's a mag guide:

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah, this thread is also amazing.

I take some of the newer posts with a grain of salt since imo the manufacturers started realizing they were posting it to everyone and cherry picker their stuff sent to them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope more potential AK buyers do their research prior to buying the first one they come across. I've seen a bunch of junk sold to far too many new owners. You get what you pay for a lot of the time but some of these junk guns are bringing retail prices. Excellent post OP!

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm actually working with the owner of this wiki now and I'm updating this to where there is an easier to read quick access guide versus having to scroll through all rifles.

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for sharing. There's just something about AKs and combloc surplus in general... really cool stuff.

Also, for all the prospective buyers out there - friends don't let friends buy US made AKs :)
    Hate to necro this thread, but had to say I always agreed with the anti US made AK sentiment.. until I got my Arsenal sam7sf.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hate to necro this thread, but had to say I always agreed with the anti US made AK sentiment.. until I got my Arsenal sam7sf.
    I'm not sure I'm following... Are you saying you got a bad sam7sf?

The sam7sf is made from Arsenal Bulgaria and imported by Arsenal Las Vegas so still not US made... So carry on hating the us made AKs haha.

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Haha damn I had no idea, I just assumed they were US made. I bought it 3-4 years ago and it is definitely a keeper, not bad at all.

To hell with US made AKs then!

Last edited:

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In my opinion, you bought one of best AKs ever brought into the US in 7.62. Definitely a keeper.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Any input on the newer US Palm polymer mags? I didn't see them listed on your chart which is great BTW! They are actually available locally at decent prices.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just glanced at the barrel testing chart. No information if they are testing the bore or elsewhere. The bore of a mil spec AK is chromium plated just as it is with a usa milspec AR15 barrel. The chicom AKs are supposed to be chromium plated. It is the hardness of the bore that counts. I will not bother to read further. All of my AKs have chromium barrels.
    Nitriding of the bore is also good.
    OK, so what does Faxon recommend chrome-lining for?

For almost all shooters, Nitride is ideal. Chrome is appropriate for heavy military usage where the shooter would be firing full-auto cyclically under extreme duty cycles.

1611971778478.png

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where is the best place to get a decent AK? I’ve seen a few on this forum, but any places besides gunbroker that are legit and have good prices?

I really want a Maadi. Have only seen two for sale on this forum and they went fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Where is the best place to get a decent AK? I’ve seen a few on this forum, but any places besides gunbroker that are legit and have good prices?

I really want a Maadi. Have only seen two for sale on this forum and they went fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a Maadi you'll be stuck surfing gun shows, local shops / pawn shops, Gunbroker, or local boards like this one. Honestly, to answer your question, AK prices suck big time nowadays and unless you can get someone to offer you a good deal in a private sale, you're hosed. If you want one in today's market, it's pay to play.

Go with an imported rifle or at least a parts kit build. Be patient if you have to, wait for the right rifle. Atlantic Firearms bring Polish WBP rifles in pretty consistently - these are good to go and super nice but the prices suck and seem to get suckier every time they bring in a batch. Zastava ZPAPs are also good to go - Gulf Coast in Milton has them fairly regularly. WASRs are hitting $1000 now and they're not worth that, despite being good rifles in general. Arsenal used to be cream of the crop for a retail AK but their quality control has nosedived in recent years, inspect it thoroughly if you come across one. Chinese AKs are good to go, but even the cheaper ones are skyrocketing in price right now. MAK90s are sitting at $1000 all day and climbing. I saw one at Grey Man in Milton a few weeks ago, it might still be there - haven't been by in a while.

I'd avoid any domestic AK (especially Century) except for the K-USA KR-103, and they're unobtanium right now anyway. Hope this helps some.
    Good luck on your hunt.

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    “Arsenal used to be cream of the crop for a retail AK but their quality control has nosedived in recent years, inspect it thoroughly if you come across one. “

Fear, what do you base that on?

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I will second the Zastava's are good to go! The (2) I own have exceptional fit and finish for an AK and are boringly reliable as any good AK should be! Good luck!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom