• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If your are looking for a great way to keep shooting for a little money in these times of expensive and hard to find ammo consider this. A few months ago I picked up the newest model from Air Venturi, the Avenger in .22 caliber. This gun got lots of buzz in the airgun forums so I did some looking into it. It's a PCP rifle with a pressure tank that can be filled to 4,350 pounds pressure. It has a regulator to keep all your shots at or very close to the same fps so your groups stay tight. The regulator is externally adjustable which is a feature usually only seen on higher end PCP airguns. Also has an adjustable trigger and an adjustable hammer spring, an easy to use, very smooth olympic style sidelever instead of a normal bolt action handle and 2 pressure gauges, one for the tank and one for the regulator, again, all these are features usually only seen on higher end models.

Best of all the gun is incredibly accurate. I usually shoot 5 shot groups, they are almost always one ragged or cloverleafed hole at 35 yards, haven't shot it at longer distances yet but others have said even at 50 yards or more the groups stay fairly tight. Since I only shoot paper in my yard I have the regulator and hammer spring turned down to fairly low settings and I get at least 70-80 or more good shots, all at about the same fps and all right on target before it needs to be refilled. To keep the price low it only comes with a synthetic stock but at $299 list price it compares favorably to airguns costing over $1,000.

Here's a video that I saw before purchasing that helped me decide to do it:

Here's a picture of a typical target I shoot. 5 shots at each bullseye from 35 yards:
    Avenger 5 shot groups.jpg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mag fed?? I have the PCP Benjamin discovery in 22. Green mountain barrel and TKO muffler.I put a Williams peep on it. Awesome shooter. Only downside is I only have the hand pump. +/- 100 pumps to refill to 2,000 psi which makes 20-22 full power shots. Works great for tree rats and other small game. +25ftps of bang. Very quiet too!

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, 10 round mag for the 22 and 177, 8 rounds in 25. Between the mag and sidelever it's very nice to shoot one after another.
    I hand pump too, don't mind it much, it's a nice little work out. Seems to be around 2 pumps per shot fired. So 30 shots is about 60-65 pumps. If I shoot more say 60 or 70 shots its about 140-150 pumps. Don't like to get the hand pump too hot so I'll do about 80 pumps, let it cool about 10-15 minutes then do the rest.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually it's very quiet as is. I guess if I cranked the power up it would get loud but as I use it not bad at all. Barrel is shrouded and they sell an insert that slips inside to make it even quieter but I don't need it. My neighbors are not too close and wouldn't complain anyway. I have a Beeman Chief in 177 thats very loud, sounds pretty close to a 22LR. First time I shot it one of the neighbors came by to see what I was doing. They didn't think it was an air rifle until we talked. The Avenger is MUCH quieter,

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thank you. Getting ready to order one. What has been your experience with ammo availability? .177 vs .22 vs. 25? I would think .177 is way more plentiful and easier to find?

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All ammo including pellets is harder to find these days... I order from https://www.pyramydair.com/ most of the time in 22 and 177, don't have any 25 airguns. The Avenger likes either the JSB exact jumbo heavy 18.13 gr. or the Air Arms diabolo field 16 gr. Both have been out of stock recently but I put in an order for several tins at once and re-order well before I run out and usually get them before I do. If you're just looking to go plinking just about any pellets shoot decent from the avenger but if you want tight groups on paper the 2 above will give you that. Both of those are available in 177 also.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also if you order from pyramyd when you order 4 one is free, plus use code GATEWAY-PYRAMYD for 10% off on your order. Makes 4 (or 8, 12 etc.) reasonable.

Top Bottom