• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ben_p

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, on the 11th of this month I took two axles from an AMC 20 rear end to a local shop (I won't name them just yet) to get bearings pressed on them. I figured they would be done in a few days at the most and left them with the owner, who told me his son does all the machine work (the owner must be in his 70's while his son is in his 50's). When I dropped them off, they were completely assembled new axles with new oil seals, backing plates, bearings, and everything in place and in order just needing the bearings pressed on.

About a week passed and I hadn't heard from anyone, so I gave them a call to check on the progress. The owner's son (the ~50 year old) told me that one axle was fine, but that the other bearing had jumped the lip on the axle when being pressed and would need to be cut off and replaced. I took the good axle home and put it in my Jeep (78 CJ-5) and it seemed to be fine.

Yesterday (17 days later) I called the son again to see if the other axle was ready to be picked up yet. He tells me he cannot find the bearing in stock anywhere in the local area and that he has used around $100 in labor trying to find the bearing. I told him that I was planning on having the Jeep completely finished and running by now but his lack of progress is killing my schedule, to which he replied that it's "not his problem."

I almost lost it on the guy, but realized it would most likely just make matters worse. Now I am ordering the bearing and having him press it on, but they still hadn't told me how much they were going to charge me. They expected me to order the bearing and bring it back to them to press on. Today I decided to just get all my parts, order the bearing, and take them elsewhere to get finished. I asked the owner how much he wanted for the axle that was done properly and he said $30, but we agreed on $25.

Now I am home looking up a replacement bearing and am realizing I will be spending no less than $40 on a replacement. I feel they owe me a replacement since I brought them all new parts and they broke the bearing, however I do not really want to deal with them anymore and I have already paid them and left with my parts. What's the right thing to do in this situation?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For that amount of money, my opinion is to chalk it up to experience and move on AFTER you tell everyone you know what butt heads the owners are. Find someone else to do the work.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agree with JohnAl. Sometimes things happen mechanically and parts get ruined. Been there. Move on. Hopefully you didn't pay the A-Hole $100 for surfing the net.

ben_p

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, you guys are right. Just ordered the bearing on ebay for $23 shipped so as soon as it comes in I will be taking it to a reputable machine shop and getting a quote beforehand.

I hate to give the shop a bad name because they seemed like nice guys, but it was like pulling teeth to get any information or results and I ended up paying ~$50 for only one axle completed and 3 weeks of lost time.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good luck getting anything back from shops that screw something up... It uaually just won't happen. Same thing with a job costing you a thousand dollars more than they Quote... No problems they just had my motor home and had me by the balls. One time I was living in it and had no choise but to pay...I don't mind paying for work to be done but some people just rip you off. BUT I did have a rocker come off on a rebuilt engine one time that only had about 300 miles on it and was that far from home. A nice guy that had a NAPA store with a shop that got me back on the road for 300. Of course the asshole that installed the engine wouldn't help with the bill or the 300 dollar wrecker bill. For those who don't know the rocker arms are supposed to be adjusted when an engine is installed. Wrote a letter to NAPA to tell them about the shop and how good they treated me. The shop also set the timeing that was off 20 degrees and replaced a fan belt I had been charged for.

DrifterFisher

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, you guys are right. Just ordered the bearing on ebay for $23 shipped so as soon as it comes in I will be taking it to a reputable machine shop and getting a quote beforehand.

I hate to give the shop a bad name because they seemed like nice guys, but it was like pulling teeth to get any information or results and I ended up paying ~$50 for only one axle completed and 3 weeks of lost time.

Pressing an axle bearing on isn't hard. It takes about 5 minutes. I want to know how they busted the bearing? I have put hundreds on with my shop press,and do not remember ever breaking a NEW bearing. I don't think he knew what he was doing or was in a rush and tried to make do with something that didn't fit right.

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Being a owner/ tech myself, you shouldn't have owed him anything, wasn't your fault he messed up. William @ Williams transmission is the best @ drivelines in my opinion. He does drivelines in Milton off avalon. You will not meet a nicer guy and a better business man.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    we have a press at our shop (we dont do outside press work, its the mechanics personal tool he uses to complete his tasks) and sometimes, shit happens. You're exerting tons of pressure on things that weight ounces, imagine that, shit breaks sometimes.

Sorry about your bad luck, but in the end, doesnt sound like it cost you too much...other than time

Top Bottom