• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T140

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Which choke do you use for slugs or is it better to purchase a separate barrel for slugs?

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    According to Benelli, you can use Cylinder and Improved Cylinder choke tubes for rifled slugs; sabot slugs should only be used in rifled barrels. My original tubes were black finish (on a Stoeger), so I kept the C and IC chokes in black, and bought stainless tubes for Modified, Improved Modified, and Full, so I know if I have a black tube installed, it's ready for slugs.

Redleg155

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I've shot many a deer using an Improved cylinder choke. Do yourself a favor and shoot a few out of your shotgun before deciding on a dedicated barrel. You may be surprised at the accuracy. Also, smooth bore or rifled, be prepared to spend a few bucks on finding what shoots best in your shotgun.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've shot many a deer using an Improved cylinder choke. Do yourself a favor and shoot a few out of your shotgun before deciding on a dedicated barrel. You may be surprised at the accuracy. Also, smooth bore or rifled, be prepared to spend a few bucks on finding what shoots best in your shotgun.
    No doubt... and if you do go to a rifled barrel & sabot slugs, the sabots can be considerably more expensive than standard rifled slugs.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    No doubt... and if you do go to a rifled barrel & sabot slugs, the sabots can be considerably more expensive than standard rifled slugs.

But the good news is if you use it right you get a good bit of meat in trade.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have shot deer,bear,and moose using a slug gun with a SMOOTH BORE bbl and the older Brenneke 1 1/4 oz slugs. This,choked cyl bore
    Personally, I would not shoot even a saboted slug thru a INTERNAL,screw in choked bbl.
    For the "normal" slug ranges,you really do not need a rifled bbl. The proper choked bbl (cyl bore,improved,possibly modified) will be accurate enough with the right slug.
    Undoubtedly the rifled bbl using the sabot slugs are more accurate. But one question - -> DO YOU NOT OWN A CENTERFIRE RIFLE ??
    And another reason that I like a full bore slug is their diameter (caliber). I still do not understand why someone would choose a 50cal M/L then shoot a .429" bullet thru it. (HUH ?? / WHAT ??) ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom