• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sold a form 1 suppressor I made. ATF says I have the serial number wrong; not in NFA records. I send photo of serial number along with copy of the approved form 1 to make it from several years ago. ATF correct their records and approves the transfer to the new owner.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What you state is a good summary and right on.
    MY question for all is if you start with a brand new receiver no one really knows what you first built it as. A receiver I am thinking of using for pistol was purchased as below. If I want some more lowers I was thinking of finishing an 80%. If one does that I guess the ATF has to take your word how it was first used. On the 80% there is also no serial number either. I have purchased a lower from some one at an event and I do not know for certain if it ever had any upper on it much less if it was rifle.

View attachment 83566

The ATF doesn't have to take your word for anything, but if they want to prosecute you for a crime, then they will need EVIDENCE to win the case. Otherwise, it's harassment to arrest you and file charges without any evidence.

If you can't prove the stripped lower you bought started life as a rifle, and no one else can, then it doesn't matter. It's a pistol, and the law can't prove otherwise.

It's all ridiculous anyway. If you assemble the lower with fire control group, take-down pins, bolt-catch, mag release, grip, trigger guard, receiver tube, buffer & spring, and you simply DON'T slide the stock on the tube until after you've attached the upper (ANY upper)... then it was a Pistol first. Two seconds later you slide the stock onto the tube, and you just made a rifle from a pistol.

Ridiculous.

And how many blood-thirsty possessed demon AR's has this produced? Zero.

And how many blood-thirsty possessed gun owners has that stupid rule produced? Zero. (Evil thoughts and intentions are not created by a lawmaker's pen).

The BATFE should be downsized dramatically...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is the truth. Those laws are ridiculous. There is the famous saying of the man that was "“literally hanged on a comma.”
    The treason law in question was written in Norman French.
    Sir Roger Casement, after his conviction and death sentence for treason, said “I am being hanged by a comma”, which was literally (in the traditional sense) true. His offence had been to try to persuade Irish first world war prisoners in Germany to join the Irish uprising. A critical issue was whether the Treason Act of 1351 applied to actions outside the UK, which turned on whether or not a key provision was modified by a comma. Two of the judges had visited the record office to inspect the original of the act and it was not clear whether the mark in question was a comma, bracket or even a fold in the paper. Unfortunately for Casement, they decided that it was a comma.
    The Roger Casement case was what gave the English language the expression “hanged on a comma.”
    This was because of the way the Treason Act 1351 was originally worded in Norman French — and the ‘interesting’ way it was interpreted into modern legal English.

The ATF doesn't have to take your word for anything, but if they want to prosecute you for a crime, then they will need EVIDENCE to win the case. Otherwise, it's harassment to arrest you and file charges without any evidence.

If you can't prove the stripped lower you bought started life as a rifle, and no one else can, then it doesn't matter. It's a pistol, and the law can't prove otherwise.

It's all ridiculous anyway. If you assemble the lower with fire control group, take-down pins, bolt-catch, mag release, grip, trigger guard, receiver tube, buffer & spring, and you simply DON'T slide the stock on the tube until after you've attached the upper (ANY upper)... then it was a Pistol first. Two seconds later you slide the stock onto the tube, and you just made a rifle from a pistol.

Ridiculous.

And how many blood-thirsty possessed demon AR's has this produced? Zero.

And how many blood-thirsty possessed gun owners has that stupid rule produced? Zero. (Evil thoughts and intentions are not created by a lawmaker's pen).

The BATFE should be downsized dramatically...

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Sold a form 1 suppressor I made. ATF says I have the serial number wrong; not in NFA records. I send photo of serial number along with copy of the approved form 1 to make it from several years ago. ATF correct their records and approves the transfer to the new owner.
    Wow. I'd have never have thought they would have went in your favor. I'm glad, though.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The weird thing is that all they had to do was look at their copy of the original form 1 to see they entered the number wrong. Or maybe their form 1 copy was misfiled because they had the suppressor under the wrong number.

Top Bottom