• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    John/Dan: correct me if I'm wrong.

SBR: cost more, wait longer, more restrictive, on a whole other (higher profile) government list.

Is any of that false?

Can you "operate" any less hard with the brace options? Are you really losing any functionality?

For the Wilson combat/geissele/scar/lwrc crowd, $200 isn't a big deal. Not to mention the other toys you get to play with during your form 1 eform wait, which is relatively short. Others aren't so lucky.
    All of this is correct. I've owned plenty of braced pistols... I took a few platforms that I was going to "keep forever" and decided to SBR them. Granted, they're all higher end platforms.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Not to mention resale.
    John/Dan: correct me if I'm wrong.

SBR: cost more, wait longer, more restrictive, on a whole other (higher profile) government list.

Is any of that false?

Can you "operate" any less hard with the brace options? Are you really losing any functionality?

For the Wilson combat/geissele/scar/lwrc crowd, $200 isn't a big deal. Not to mention the other toys you get to play with during your form 1 eform wait, which is relatively short. Others aren't so lucky.

Not to mention resale hassle when ya get bored with it. If I'm not mistaken you have to file or have permission to cross state lines. I could be wrong?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Time and bother isn't a huge deal... eform process is about 25 minutes. Passport photos can be done via smartphone, prints mailed in with a cover letter can be of the "roll your own" variety. Yeah it's $200, but a decent brace is well north of $100 anyways... the being on a registry thing is a bit of a cop out in my opinion. If the right people want to know if you have a gun, I doubt they look at NFA registry first, if at all...

All that being said, only the government demands you register them. I've never been asked to show my stamps

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    It is choices of course. But what does the SBR do for you that the arm brace does not do.
    For me it is more than just two hundred dollars as I understand it. I would have to form a trust or maybe get approval from the Sheriff. I really do not know first hand how to do it and what do I get in return for jumping those hoops. I will when the time comes to register may if possible do that for anything that I purchased at a gunstore. Depends. I can also say I do not own them anymore. Then they need cause for a warrant to search. You can not say you lost or sold a NFA weapon not have to offer proof of that fact.
    Perhaps buying tax stamp is a joy all in itself.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    They don't allow rifles either?

Absolutely. PCC and multigun.
    Gun shit is like politics and religion, nobody’s mind will be changed by strangers on the internet, which is fine. All I’ll say is that the NFA process is simple and inexpensive enough to build things properly.
    The registry fear-mongering is a moot point. CCW jumps up long before NFA does, but the tinfoil fudds don’t bitch about that...
    Braces are good to be able to shoot while waiting on a stamp or if you travel regularly. That’s about it.
    Over and out.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry for starting an apparent religious war. I was just looking for clarity to a somewhat ambiguous section of the law, to wit:

From Title 18 US Code Chapter 44:
    (8)
    The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know not always reliable):
    Short-barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm, made from a rifle, with a barrel length of less than 16 in (41 cm) or overall length of less than 26 in (66 cm), or a handgun fitted with a buttstock and a barrel of less than 16 inches length. In the United States, an SBR is an item regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) as a Title II weapon. In the absence of local laws prohibiting ownership, American civilians may own an SBR provided it is registered with the ATF, and a $200 tax is paid prior to taking possession of or creating the firearm.

The ambiguity is whether it is 16" barrel OR 26" overall length. If I read Title 18 correctly, if I modify an AR rifle to produce something that still exceeds 26" overall, it would NOT be an SBR (barrel change perhaps).

I am not a lawyer and I don't stay at Holiday Inns (Express or otherwise).

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Less than 16 plus stock equals short barrel rifle.

Oal is irrelevant once a stock enters the mix.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Gun shit is like politics and religion, nobody’s mind will be changed by strangers on the internet, which is fine. All I’ll say is that the NFA process is simple and inexpensive enough to build things properly.
    The registry fear-mongering is a moot point. CCW jumps up long before NFA does, but the tinfoil fudds don’t bitch about that...
    Braces are good to be able to shoot while waiting on a stamp or if you travel regularly. That’s about it.
    Over and out.

The process is straightforward. Much easier the second time. Inexpensive is up to the user.

I've seen the government work and the NFA numbers are enough that they couldn't do anything quickly. It'd take them decades to recover to recover any appreciable numbers of nfa items and they're probably going to start with dealers first.

There are lots of other things that'll get you attention besides nfa and ccw. Small but important distinction; You don't have to own a gun to have a ccw. That stamp is tied to you with that specific nfa item.

Braces aren't your thing, that's fine. Not everyone wants to deal with the nfa. Gay or not.

ETA: Glocks are stupid and PCCs that use Glock mags are dumb!! Suck it!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Over and out.
    I think I understand your post but some may not.
    If you travel keep a brace. If you register is as SBR then you legally should not ever out a brace back on that item.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My understanding is if you don’t have a family member on a trust for your nfa item whatever it is and you die then you’ve just made your spouse a criminal

I read the following somewhere but if I’m wrong let me know as I’m not familiar with the laws for nfa items

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    After paying the extra $200, getting PERMISSION, receiving the flare and having to get PERMISSION to take it across state lines if you so desire.

I've got both. Pick how you want to be Gay.

I also have both... Would I do another NFA SBR probably not. The only exception would be another HK build. I don't like the look of a cheesy brace on any HK / Clone product.

Just another AR yes brace all day!!!

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My understanding is if you don’t have a family member on a trust for your nfa item whatever it is and you die then you’ve just made your spouse a criminal

I read the following somewhere but if I’m wrong let me know as I’m not familiar with the laws for nfa items

Look up a Form 5...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A minimum 26 inch OAL AND minimum 16 inch barrel are required. A shorter barrel can be used if a muzzle device is properly pinned/welded to the barrel to achieve the 16 inch barrel length. The "pinned" option does keep you to minimum lengths including flash hider, comp/suppressor mount or other options but you better love what you "permanently" affix to the barrel. It can be changed but it's work you don't want to screw up.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Nope, not at all. They will simply form5 them over to your successor.

Reactions: FLT

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Regardless of CCW / NFA / etc, if we're not all on at least 50 watch lists by now I'd say we're doing it wrong :)
    A watch list that includes millions of people is one thing over what `feds suspect you own, but serial numbers for a specific type of 'legally scary' gun is something else. It might also work to your favor for keeping that gun also. I just have yet for anyone to show me a strong positive upside relative to why an SBR is preferred over a braced gun.

Members online

Top Bottom