• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Been a while since Sawman and I went hogging together, so we went out Monday night. Typical night with NO hogs seen. LOTS of deer. Three coyotes. 1 too far, but safe to shoot; did not shoot. 1 close and a big one, but not safe to shoot direction. 1 close and safe to shoot at. Sawman made a "coyote stop and look" noise so I could shoot...coyote immediately took off fast, so no shoot. We have coyote permission in this property. It's enjoyable just to be out if not too cold or hot or full of mosquitoes. I like it when Sawman brings his electric buggy...lots of room for extra clothes, water, etc, etc. We've loaded and unloaded his buggy on the trailer so many times over the years that we are like a well oiled machine doing it. It has plenty of power for dragging a hog if needed.

Later I got a call from a client...hogs are back and have disturbed a pitcher plant area (hogs are not welcome on the property). Met the property manager, and he drove me to the affected area so I could make a plan of attack, where to park, how to approach, where to sit and safety considerations. He and his wife showed me videos of the hogs. Interesting in that some were during daylight hours. Reviewing video and photos, they were often there 8-10pm and 5:30-7:00am. Manager knows hunting won't eliminate hogs, but they will go elsewhere for a while; bonus is to try and kill a breeding sow...showed me a video of the big sow...freeze the video...see that bump "hanging" down on the belly?...it's a large boar. Asked if we'd ever gotten more than one at a time...sure, multiple doubles, and I've gotten one triple. Wants us to use a suppressor in this area. And, before anyone asks, the property manager and the owner only allow Sawman, Chaps, and I on the property for hog hunting; that was told to me again today (their property and they make the rules). NOTE: They've had an hog expert come and design and place a trap on the property. In the two years, no hogs have been trapped. Sawman and I have his book and have attended his lecture on hogs. Couldn't immediately find my copy to post a pic of for you, so here's link to see the cover: Year of the Pig

However, the most interesting part was showing me a video of a bear on the property. In all the years of night hunting Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties, we've never seen a bear. I'm no judge of bear size, but it sure wasn't a cub!

Since I was in the area, I visited a field nearby where we've had multiple success over the years...had not been there in a while. Here's a few photos showing rooting and a couple of paths the hogs have worn down going to a from a swampy area.

BBD30203-899B-4578-A0BA-7266F359E994.jpeg
    A0A4C330-E2B8-4CCA-9FBD-F7E21CE2AEBC.jpeg
    6F0046FE-AEEE-40A9-8B01-C52D0DAF269B.jpeg
    1E779E78-2FD6-4183-B485-0183C04DEFA2.jpeg
    0130F5D6-3B43-41AA-8925-5380C3E48FD0.jpeg

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Let me add: The manager told me they've gotten numerous requests for hunting permission over the years. He said they allowed someone to hunt hogs one time. As the person was leaving, he said words to the effect of "killed a hog and left it in your road". No offer to help or anything. They no longer give permission to hunt. It took us years to get where we are now. In this case, Chaps provided the gentle persuasion and nurturing over a couple of years. Providing some hog sausage helped to cement the relationship.

Reactions: FLT

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Always good to get out.

I wanted to go today and stack up a few but I got stuck doing wife directed chores. I really need to get some more time in as summer heat is coming fast.

I also noticed the skeeters are out in full force lately. I might get a little work done in the am and go harass the locals later in the day.

I'm in the same boat as far as taking folks to the main place I go. I've had a very short list over the years and I think the property owner has noticed that and really appreciates it.

Top Bottom