• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW

I have an 11.5" Model 1 AR upper in 7.62x39. I've fired it 535 flawless rounds so far. No failures to fire, chamber, or eject the empties. I've used a variety of 7.62x39 ammo in it.
    What mags are you using?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have older C Products and a couple of the old Colt 20rd size mags. The Colt 7.62 mags cannot be loaded to capacity and be expected to work, so I only load about 5 rounds. The C Products 5 and 10rd mags work fine. 3 of the C Products 30rd mags would have rounds hang up in the "curve" part of the mag if loaded to capacity or near capacity. At one time C Products had a program in which you contacted them and told them how many problem 30rd mags you had and they would send a stronger mag springs and redesigned followers with C Products paying the cost and shipping charges. I installed the new springs and followers and they solved the problem with those mags. 4 of my old C Products 30rd mags are still in the wrapper, so they might have problems...I do have one extra set of the new stronger springs and new follower if one of them gives me problems. Not all of my C Products 30rd mags gave problems anyway, working fine as-is.

Until I found the 5 and 10rd mags, for shooting off the bench I did the following: I took several older, used GI 20rd 5.56 mags and experimented with them. I found one in which I could load and it would function with 5-6rds of 7.62x39...I keep that mag separate and with my 7.62x39 ammo. Typically, I only load 5 rounds, shoot, and let the barrel cool anyway.

The C Products company that I delt with is no longer in business; I do not have any experience with the new companies that came to be after C Products closed that now make 7.62x39 mags. I have the one7.62x39 AR upper and a Robinson Arms XCR-L with a 7.62x39 conversion kit installed; it uses the same AR type mags.

Hope this helps you.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I looked into the AR15 7.62x39 route as well due to ammo availabiltiy/cost. After much research, I found a lot of little problems here and there that needed to be tuned/fixed for the rifle to run well. Bolt, firing pin, hammer spring, mags, etc...

Maybe they have fixed those problems (such as RRAs offering). However, for now the 7.62x39 belongs in the AK for now.

Which led me to the 6.8 SPC. Love the two I have built and have one more build waiting for parts and assembly.

Top Bottom