• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    This thread is located at:
    http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?52403-new-supplier-list&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    *Complete 6.8 SPC rifles*
    1: Armalite
    2: Bushmaster
    3: Rock River Arms
    4: Stag
    5: LWRC
    6: Wilson Combat
    7: Daniel Defense / Ambush
    8: DoubleStar
    9: DPMS
    10: Barrett
    11: LMT
    12: Robinson Arms
    13: 2 Vets
    14: Yankee Hill Machine
    15: Palmetto State Armory
    16: Ironworks Tactical
    17: Country Boy Sports
    18: Bison Armory

*6.8 SPC upper assemblies*
    1: Stag
    2: Ironworks Tactical
    3: Suppression Solutions
    4: Wilson Combat
    5: Yankee Hill Machine
    6: Palmetto State Armory
    7: White Oak Armament
    8: State Of The Arms
    9: Rock River Arms
    10: Red X
    11: SOTA
    12: Precision Firearms
    13: Surplus Arms and Ammo
    14: JSE
    15: CBA
    16: Delta 3 Tactical
    17. Armalite
    18. Blackstone Arms

*6.8 SPC barrels/bolts/other parts*
    1: AR Performance: Barrels and bolts
    2: BHW: Barrels
    3: Wilson Combat: Barrels,
    4: Palmetto State Armory: Barrels and bolts
    5: Stag: Bolts
    6: Yankee Hill Machine: Barrels and Bolts
    7: AR Stoner: Barrels, Bolts, and Magazines
    8: Daniel Defense / Ambush: Barrels and bolts
    9: PRI: Bolts, magazines, 6.8 specific breaks
    10: CProducts Defense: Magazines
    11: ASC: Magazines
    12: D&H: Magazines
    13: MagPul: Magazines for LWRC Six8 platform
    14: DPMS: Bolts
    15: White Oak Armament: Barrels
    16: State Of The Arms
    17: Red X Arms : BCG
    18: Mad Dog Weapons Systems: general 6.8 retailer
    19: Treasure Seekers: 6.8 marked carriers, dust covers, etc
    20: Hamlund Tactical: general 6.8 retailer
    21: Rainier Arms: Barrels
    22: Integrity Arms: Barrels
    23: Douglas: Barrels
    24. Midway USA

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    FIRST - -> THANK YOU FRANK for starting this thread. 2014 . . . the good ol' hog killin' daze huh.
    I had forgot all about this. And me with my three AR 6.8's. Fer shame.
    This chambering is still not as popular as I had guessed it would be. With it's ballistics it fits into a slot clesrly in between the 5.56X45 and 308Win. With about 70% of the "power" of the 308 and just as good trajectories (using the right bullet,load,and bbl length) as the 308 out to the "normal" hunting ranges,with much reduced recoil,it is a winner in my book.
    It is plenty for the NW Fla deer and I have slammed some of the biggest of hogs with my 10.5" and 18" both. Factory loads are somewhat limited but bullets for the reloader are numerious. So are the other components to reload this chambering,including new brass . . . BUT save your old,it has a longer life than most chamberings even used in a simi auto action. I would think in a single or bolt,with dies properly adjusted,it would last darn near forever.
    The typical bullet used is <131grs. Most are <121grs. Personally,I like them <111grs for the added trajectories. I am a huge fan of the Barnes solid copper offerings and Accubonds. The premier factory loading is the Hornady 120gr SST. My first hogs were killed with these,including my biggest to date,a 277 pounder.
    Thinking back - ? ---> I should have bought Bruce's bolt gun. I soozed . . I LOOZED !! NOW - - -> I should go ahead a buy a T/C bbl (23") chambered in 6.8 for my wife's older Contender framed rifle. The 6.8 would be great in a 14" heavy bbl for the Contender pistol,also. With the single shot actions the 6.8 would be great fun using severely reduced loads of Trail Boss. Some big,heavy 270Win designed flat base at about 850-1000fps would be fun.
    I have been shooting the 6.8SPC and SPCII for many years now. Frank has been at it longer than I have. With the coming of the 300BLK and the 6.5Creedmoor craze,the 6.8 has kinda fell by the wayside. Frankly . . . it never had that big of following. If some military would have made it their primary battle cartridge and tons of cheap brass would have come on the market it probably would have gained more popularity.
    But hey . . I got my guns and my reloading gear,had a friend supply me with great bullets and once fired brass,i'm cranking out my lifetime loads for my three 6.8's.I might even be in the market for another 6.8 or two. It is a great chambering. You hunters should take a serious look at the ballistics. Especially the people that are being continuously beat up by those 6.5C's and 308Win's. For the wives and youngin's that are carrying a heavy bolt gun and trying to use it from a ladder stand or shooting house,a 10.5" 6.8 might be just the thing.
    Thanks for reviving this very old thread. I will post here more often. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Yep, built this for tree stand use. Very accurate shooting the fusion. 115 grain.

Attachments

• 20201029_183207.jpg
      20201029_183207.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 97

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks Sawman, yes I was an early adopter of the 6.8. It is simply the ONLY AR15 caliber you need for hunting at least, everything else really. The only AR caliber other than the 6.8 I would go to is the AR10 in 308 and if they were as light as they are now at the time I would have.

All these new and less desireable calibers people are going to now are really for reloaders and all have their issues. Since SSA got out of the 6.8 thanks to nosler buying them and screwing the pooch the 6.8 has stopped its rapid growth (ARP, Bison and Wilson are still in it). I am retired pretty much from hunting now but IF I was a younger man the lightweight 308 would be the way to go today.

I still run my 2 6.8's and a x39 pistol due to the amount of ammo I had stored up and when I go there will be alot returned to the market..It has been a fun and rewarding ride

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would definately use it for hunting the bigger deer further north. I would most likely switch to a 110gr Barnes and sight in for zero at 150.
    I will be switching from the 85gr TSX to the 95gr TTSX just as soon as I can get to the club for sight in. This bullet/load combo will be used in all three of my 6.8's including my Ruger Mini.
    I have put many 85gr TSX thru the bigger (200lbs+) hogs and have also recovered a few. The 4 petal mushroom is always perfect.
    The 85's are what killed this guy. A 225lb boar at 75yds. --- SAWMAN
    DSC00973.JPG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom