• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I know this could be a heated topic already discussed elsewhere, but has anyone here gotten or bought a 6.5 carcano that's been rebarrelled?
    Iv seen that a 303 barrel and also SKS barrels can be used on a 6.5 with smith work.
    I know it's cheaper to buy what you want, but I have a sentimental gun that already sporterized but I'd like to get it rebarrelled. Similar to one like this....

Lots of guys did it here...

Last edited:

SUPERLITE69

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So whats your actual question? If its feasible? If its worth doing? What other people will think of it?

Yes, its doable, carcanos were re-chambered for 8mm mauser in the closing days of WW2, with many more converted afterwards for commercial purposes, although they were potentially used in Ethiopia in the second half of the century.

Is it worth doing? Depends on how you define “worth”. Financially? Nope. Just buy 6.5, its actually available, unlike 7.35. Looking for more power? Theres an argument to be made about the sufficiency of the power behind 6.5, especially if you hand load. Sentimentally? Your call, i cant comment.

If you’re concerned about whether other people consider your gun “valid”, then thats a fight youll have to have internally.

Its also worth noting the gunboards link is literally 19 years old. Different world now.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So my grandpa passed away and this was his only rifle handed down by his father so...So I will never sell. Its invaluable to me and I want be able to use it. It's a 6.5 Carcano 1941. I'll dump money into it to make it a nice deer rifle since it's a family heirloom.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I wouldn't mind reloading except...
    1. Iv never reloaded
    2. It seems you cant find the .268 bullets anymore
    3. I want to be able to get a readily available ammo for it.

SUPERLITE69

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If ammo is your concern:

Buy it and send it.

I wouldnt be afraid of reloading, everyone who has ever reloaded, *ever*, started from scratch

SUPERLITE69

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you’re insistent on reloading, youll need to send your rifle to a specialized smith, have the bolt face reworked, the firing pin reworked, the barrel either bored out and relined to size, or outright replaced, and you should be G2G, i dont recall any magazine work being required. You dont wanna run anything hotter than a high quality 8mm mauser, as there have been reports of failures with hot rounds coupled with poor quality post ww2 conversions. IIRC a lot of the issue was headspace related, as the carcano action itself is pretty robust. But we design with safety factors for a reason.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If you’re insistent on reloading, youll need to send your rifle to a specialized smith, have the bolt face reworked, the firing pin reworked, the barrel either bored out and relined to size, or outright replaced, and you should be G2G, i dont recall any magazine work being required. You dont wanna run anything hotter than a high quality 8mm mauser, as there have been reports of failures with hot rounds coupled with poor quality post ww2 conversions. IIRC a lot of the issue was headspace related, as the carcano action itself is pretty robust. But we design with safety factors for a reason.
    Thanks for the info. Do you know of any local Smith's around that have good reps? I may go ahead and buy the PPU ammo to see how I like it first also.

SUPERLITE69

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info. Do you know of any local Smith's around that have good reps? I may go ahead and buy the PPU ammo to see how I like it first also.
    Nope. Im not local to you, and im generally unfamiliar with smiths, as i do my own work. Assembly, repair, parts installations, and barrel work, refinishing, and the occassional reprofiling of receivers and slides covers all my bases.

If you search for recommendations here, make a new thread, and use google maps to find a list of gunsmiths (then proceed to call and inquire about their services), you’re guaranteed to come up with a smith that can do what you need done.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nope. Im not local to you, and im generally unfamiliar with smiths, as i do my own work. Assembly, repair, parts installations, and barrel work, refinishing, and the occassional reprofiling of receivers and slides covers all my bases.

If you search for recommendations here, make a new thread, and use google maps to find a list of gunsmiths (then proceed to call and inquire about their services), you’re guaranteed to come up with a smith that can do what you need done.
    Ah yes, didn't notice that on mobile. Thanks!

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a 6.5x52 Carcano M41 built in 1942. PPU & Steinel make ammo for it. Older PPU ammo used .264 bullets and was less accurate but I heard that the newer stuff is .268. PPU writes the diameter of the bullet on the front of the box in a description. You might find ammo at Ubers Lock & Gun. If not simply ask Naomi if she can order some on her next shipment.

Here are some bullets- https://www.steinelammo.com/product-category/reloading-components/bullets/
    PPU makes .268 Bullets - https://www.prvipartizan.com/search_rbl.php

Here is some ammo with a properly sized .268 bullet and not the less accurate .264. They are currently out but should be available soon. They had ammo yesterday lol. According to the youtube videos that I watched it is often the most accurate carcano ammo in several rifles.
    https://www.steinelammo.com/product-category/rifle-ammo/6-5x52-carcano/
    In Stock ammo- https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/65-carcano-ammo

Here is the brass- https://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi...rcano-primed-brass-handloading-prvi-partizan-

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Rick Rankin aka " Gunsmith on Garden Street " did a conversion on a Carcano years ago . He's semi-retired but still works a few days a week . He's one heck of a machinist . Worth a call / visit to see if he'd be interested .

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Rick Rankin aka " Gunsmith on Garden Street " did a conversion on a Carcano years ago . He's semi-retired but still works a few days a week . He's one heck of a machinist . Worth a call / visit to see if he'd be interested .
    Mr. Rankin works two hours in the morning, and two in the afternoon. Call his shop after 10 AM. He has a LOT of experience.

Top Bottom