• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Looking to exercise my patriotism and patriotic duty and get a “can” this year.
    I’ve got a Ruger AR. I’d like a quality can, and it appears there isn’t much of a link between price and popular choices out there? In other words, some 223/556 cans cost much more than others and I cannot decipher the quality differences.

What I think I want is a can suitable for full auto (even though I know my rifle is not) or maybe belt fed full auto? Aren’t those suppressors built to a more stringent criteria?
    Currently been looking at the Banish 223, Rugged Razor 556 and the GT-556, but not dead-set on anything yet.
    Just want to buy once, cry once if that makes any sense. The marketplace seems a bit overwhelming.

Appreciate any advice. TIA

Little Jack

Master
    Cost, durability, size, weight, gas flow, suppression, accessories, support.

How much you looking to spend?

Your belt fed rated can is going to be heavier than you need. Pair it with QD attachment and a muzzle device and you're pushing over 20oz. Big can on the end of a long gun isn’t fun to shoot unsupported. Durable and light gets expensive.

For a semi auto, you're probably going to be over gassed. Not the end of the world but you may need/want to tune the gun with an adjustable block/carrier or springs/ buffers. Latest flow through designs require little to no adjustments to your gun. Bolt gun doesn't matter.

Bigger cans generally suppress better, but even a quiet 556 is still pretty loud.

Hub compatible makes it versatile. Can do direct thread or QD mounts and can use several different manufacturers mounts. If you go QD, how much to outfit all the guns you want to suppress?

Bigger company is more likely to be around longer to fix a broken/ damaged can.

Ideally you can shoot some before you buy. At the end of the day they're all just metal tubes.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Cost, durability, size, weight, gas flow, suppression, accessories, support.

How much you looking to spend?

Your belt fed rated can is going to be heavier than you need. Pair it with QD attachment and a muzzle device and you're pushing over 20oz. Big can on the end of a long gun isn’t fun to shoot unsupported. Durable and light gets expensive.

For a semi auto, you're probably going to be over gassed. Not the end of the world but you may need/want to tune the gun with an adjustable block/carrier or springs/ buffers. Latest flow through designs require little to no adjustments to your gun. Bolt gun doesn't matter.

Bigger cans generally suppress better, but even a quiet 556 is still pretty loud.

Hub compatible makes it versatile. Can do direct thread or QD mounts and can use several different manufacturers mounts. If you go QD, how much to outfit all the guns you want to suppress?

Bigger company is more likely to be around longer to fix a broken/ damaged can.

Ideally you can shoot some before you buy. At the end of the day they're all just metal tubes.
    I’m reading that size matters…..
    My Ruger is a 16” barrel and I see some cans that are titanium and some a longer than others….trying to decipher the rhyme and reason on length. Not so enamored with titanium, but I get that it’s for weight.

what does length have to do with it? The longer the quieter?
    Would a .30 can with a 556/223 “insert” be presumptively quieter, or should I focus on a 223/556 - specific model?

As for budget … the GSL can is about $1200 and that before my stamp cost. Rugged is cheapest of what I’ve been studying. Banish in the middle. Seems all over the place.

Little Jack

Master
    550ish for a polonium or 600 for a turbo t3 will still get your kicks. If your willing to spend $1200, the flow is pretty nice.

Smaller calibers through bigger suppressors is a thing but if you're only going to shoot 556 it's going to be bigger/ heavier than it needs to be.

Length AND diameter but internal geometry and can design matter. A "K" can is light and fun to shoot but usually not great at suppression. Up to you to figure out which factor is more important.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    550ish for a polonium or 600 for a turbo t3 will still get your kicks.
    I was going to post these 2. You could theoretically get 2 cans for 2 weapons instead of one.
    556 will not be whisper quiet.
    You can find the Yankee Hill cans on sale at times for unbelievable prices and they don't sacrifice quality. I have zero experience with the Otter Creek, but a lot of talk about them.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I was going to post these 2. You could theoretically get 2 cans for 2 weapons instead of one.
    556 will not be whisper quiet.
    You can find the Yankee Hill cans on sale at times for unbelievable prices and they don't sacrifice quality. I have zero experience with the Otter Creek, but a lot of talk about them.
    Yeah, 556 won't be unless you dumb the rounds down. This has always been my stumbling block when considering silencers. If that's the case might as well use .22. Hence my pending .22 can purchase.
    Don't know for sure but I'd assume 556 would not be hearing safe, standard ball ammo.??
    YMMV. I'm a noob at this stuff.

Little Jack

Master
    140db is "hearing safe". A good rifle can will get down to the low 130s for supersonic rifle rounds. Keep in mind that it's still pretty loud and that number was measured in specific conditions from a standard location for the meter. In the last few years, particularly with the flow through cans, there has been more emphasis put on noise at the shooters ear. Not a big deal for bolt guns but with the ejection port right next to your ear for most semi autos it's something to think about for a high volume shooter.

If you haven't yet, pew science has some great information.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Can you pop off a round and smile at how quiet it is? Yes. Should you shoot an hour at the range without ear pro? No. It's going to do damage over time, even if considered hearing safe. Outdoor I will shoot 556 without double ear protection suppressed. Otherwise it's plugs and muffs.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Yeah, 556 won't be unless you dumb the rounds down. This has always been my stumbling block when considering silencers. If that's the case might as well use .22. Hence my pending .22 can purchase.
    Don't know for sure but I'd assume 556 would not be hearing safe, standard ball ammo.??
    YMMV. I'm a noob at this stuff.
    I am totally a noob at this. Hence the questions for the collective wisdom of the group

Themumfordman

Master
    I’ve got three 30-cal cans and two dedicated 5.56. I have the Rugged Razor and the AB Warthog - the Razor lives on my SBR right now and the AB on my M4, but I’m probably going to swap them the other way. The Rugged is really good, but definitely has more back pressure on the shorter barrel than I like. I have an adjustable gas block, but testing both the AB was a better tone and less gas on the 12.5” setup.

If I was going to drop $1200 on a suppressor for 5.56 in mind, and it was my first, I would go 30 cal instead and do either a Huxwrx Flow or something more premium like a Surefire. With brands like AB, YHM and others making really good quality stuff in the sub-$800 range I would only spend big bucks if the features and quality were substantially a step up.

I do have the Banish 45 pistol suppressor, and it is really nice, but for what they cost I think that there are better options out there, at least for investment versus value.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    I’m reading a good bit across the internet about back pressure and having to fugg with the gas.

I like the idea of a true plug and play model for my carbine length Ruger. Not interested in do-dad muzzle attachments either - just want to screw on and squeeze….Oh folks have their options as deeply as religious convictions on the topic …
    Now length of can comes into play as does material. Titanium for the win.
    It’s like being in an ice cream shop with so many choices and topping to choose from.
    Still undecided about 30 cal vs dedicated 223/556.
    I don’t foresee using a can for anything other than the AR (wonder how many times folks have said that and later regretted it?)

The journey/adventure continues.

Little Jack

Master
    I’m reading a good bit across the internet about back pressure and having to fugg with the gas.

I like the idea of a true plug and play model for my carbine length Ruger. Not interested in do-dad muzzle attachments either - just want to screw on and squeeze….Oh folks have their options as deeply as religious convictions on the topic …
    Now length of can comes into play as does material. Titanium for the win.
    It’s like being in an ice cream shop with so many choices and topping to choose from.
    Still undecided about 30 cal vs dedicated 223/556.
    I don’t foresee using a can for anything other than the AR (wonder how many times folks have said that and later regretted it?)

The journey/adventure continues.
    Direct thread is fine but a muzzle device torqued properly with rocksett or equivalent on a QD mount is going to be more secure/consistent. Under higher volume of fire direct thread tends to loosen and it's more likely to happen unless you're using a wrench to tighten it each time you install. If it does come loose while you're shooting you're going to get POI shift (I've personally seen FEET of change at 25yds with a pistol can) and more likely to get a baffle strike, or worse.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    30 cal with a removable end cap would suit your needs if it ever came to other calibers. Silencerco hybrid 46 comes to mind but it's also probably the heaviest of any of there that cover big bores. I'm still in agreeance I wouldn't spend 1200 on a single can.

Themumfordman

Master
    I’d suggest doing a little research on titanium versus stainless/inconel and such for suppressors. There are some durability concerns with some of the TI models.

The other thing to think about, you’ll find once you start using suppressors that direct thread can be an awful attachment system, especially for rifles. They tend to walk off over time, and you have to regularly check to make sure they’re not getting loose. The last thing you want is a baffle strike from a can that’s working its way loose and wobbling.

Without going crazy, there’s lots of good AD attachments that give you both versatility and the ability to get a good tight lockup. SiCo, YHM, Dead Air and SureFire all make good ones. Personally I think the best mount out there is the Dead Air KeyMo, and any can that has HUB compatibility you can get swappable mounting adapters to run on all your existing muzzle devices. I use a KeyMo adapter for example on my AB suppressor that came direct thread.

Themumfordman

Master
    30 cal with a removable end cap would suit your needs if it ever came to other calibers. Silencerco hybrid 46 comes to mind but it's also probably the heaviest of any of there that cover big bores. I'm still in agreeance I wouldn't spend 1200 on a single can.

If/when I end up with another 30 cal it’ll either be the Hybrid 46 or the Flow 762. Heavy, but powerful and solid.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Thanks for all the input, fellas. I‘m going to do as much research as I can before I decide to take the plunge.

Little Jack

Master
    Are you in AL?

If you're avaliable I've got several of the models that have been mentioned. Could meet you at the range so you can get a better idea of what they actually do.

ABlaster

Marksman
    I spent about 10 years behind a 10.5“ HK416 with a Surefire mini on it. It was still loud, but allegedly the leadership tested it with decibel meters and it brought it below what was considered immediately damaging to our hearing. Obviously repeated exposure would result in hearing loss but occasionally was ok. The QD’s were great, locked up tight, and only had a minimal shift in POI. I will say the copper soldering could get bad if you didn’t take it off and clean it. Full auto would weld it on there in maybe 300 rounds. When it got stuck I would have to heat it up with a butane torch and hit it with a mallet.

At the time (not really that long ago) it was the best balance of weight, length, and noise reduction we could find. There may be better stuff out there now, but I got lazy in my research.

Themumfordman

Master
    Likewise, would be happy to let you run a couple of these to see what you like. Rifle cans right now I have:

Rugged Razor 5.56
    AB Warthog 5.56
    YHM Resonator .30
    SiCo Omega 300
    YHM Reso K (in jail, any day now)

I’ve got memberships at both ERGC and Element too if you’re in the area.

Top Bottom