• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know I know, shot placement is key. But realistically, how crazy would it be to hunt some hogs with an AR with 556/223 ammo? This would be Blackwater hogs and shots less than 100yds. I have other calibers of course that will do the job. Just don’t have much experience with this one. I imagine the hogs won’t be hogzilla and I will have other hunters with me with larger calibers. Just trying to use my more plentiful ammo and a new gun.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Same lol I’ve got a few green tips, standard FMJ, and of course soft points. I wish I could afford more .300blk or 6.5 Grendel but today’s prices are out of my budget. I know people use it. Just looking for some reassurance I guess

billrv

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    All I use is a PSA I built in 556, I try a head shot as often as I can but not always possible, I average 3-4 a week and have found all that I shot, one being a challenge but that was my fault. I've had through and through shot and some that didn't exit when head shot using FMJ

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    When hogs are trapped, the rancher I help, if he uses a rifle, shoots them with 5.56 AR. I do not know what bullet he uses, but I suspect 55gr fmj. Of course that is not hunting and distances are 20-30 feet.

I reloaded some 5.56 ammo with 65gr Sierra Game King bullets for a property owner. He shot a 140 lb sow broadside thru the lungs. An autopsy was done. Bullet exited, expanded, and lungs looked like jelly for about 2” in diameter around the wound tract. Hog ran about 25yd. My experience with lung shot hogs is that they run 25-300 yards, typically 25-50yd.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now about those hogs? At what range is the 5.56/.223 able to deliver 1000 ft/lbs of energy? At what distance is the 7.62 x 39 mm or 30-30 a better choice? What range is your NVS capable?

Attachments

• 556.jpg
      556.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 81

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see no problem using a 223 soft point for hogs. It’s my caliber of choice for the farm truck. On occasion we get run over with feral hogs and I shoot ever one I see. I don’t have an exact count of the number of hogs I’ve shot but fifty would be a very conservative estimate. Most are under a hundred yards but a few have been shot at 200 and a little further on rare occasion. I don’t remember but a couple that ran more than 30 or so yards before they dropped. The couple that got away were found in a day or two and were hit pretty far back ( gut shot ) . I wouldn’t call it hunting , , , it’s more like targets of opportunity . But it results in dead hogs , which is the main objective.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see no problem using a 223 soft point for hogs. It’s my caliber of choice for the farm truck. On occasion we get run over with feral hogs and I shoot ever one I see. I don’t have an exact count of the number of hogs I’ve shot but fifty would be a very conservative estimate. Most are under a hundred yards but a few have been shot at 200 and a little further on rare occasion. I don’t remember but a couple that ran more than 30 or so yards before that dropped. The couple that got away were found in a day or two and were hit pretty far back ( gut shot ) . I wouldn’t call it hunting , , , it’s more like targets of opportunity . But it results in dead hogs , which is the main objective.
    Once upon a time poor folks had to eat pork, just how many P-Dog recipes do you have? Extermination works for an enemy the same as it does for a pest. Who determines the distinction of pest or enemy??? Feed the poor with hogs taken afield, pay proper respect to those enemies that fell due to your skills. There is a distinct difference. JMHO.

When you start blurring the differences folks tend to get hurt. JMHO!

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    We regularly shoot hogs at night with 75gr Hornady HP rounds we load. It will go from end to end on a pig about 120# @ 70ish yards. 200 yards through the shield is a struggle...sometimes it is at 50 yards depending on the size of the pig.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    We regularly shoot hogs at night with 75gr Hornady HP rounds we load. It will go from end to end on a pig about 120# @ 70ish yards. 200 yards through the shield is a struggle...sometimes it is at 50 yards depending on the size of the pig.
    Have you ever tried the 55gr hornady factory spire points (sp)?? I know they are accurate out of my 18inch 223w.

Top Bottom