• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Wife sez are you going out tonight? Sure, why not. Wind is good. Had verified the thermal was sighted in. Only gonna look, not sit and wait.

Enter the barn peanut field and there about 200yd away at the SE corner is something big enough for a hog. Watch and don't see a deer's head rise up, so it should be a hog. Easy walking, as the peanuts are turned up to dry, leaving a dirt path between each row, easy and pretty quiet to walk down. Yep, it's a hog. Get close enough I'm comfortable to shoot. Get in steady position and wait for the head to turn and pop him in the head. A good size boar.

Also had 2 coyotes eating peanuts. Tried scaring them off, but eating peanuts was more important to them. Got tired of walking towards them only to have them move a few yards and go after more peanuts. Clapped hands, yelled, shined light. Property owner doesn't want coyotes shot; farmer says fire gun and scare them (shooting the hog didn't scare them). Wasn't safe to fire a bullet near them. They finally left, probably cause they were full of peanuts.

C8748044-E6BF-453B-BED6-322C7E962247.jpeg
    BE4E61B8-A3E3-4DAD-AFB0-56A54F3DB25B.jpeg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Ruger SR 556 Takedown. I have both the 5.56 and 300 Blackout kits. Nice 2 stage trigger pull; near as nice as a LaRue or Geissle. A bit more weight with the thermal scope and suppressor and external battery pack. Wish Ruger still made the Takedown, but I guess it was too expensive to make and sell. I did talk the CEO of Ruger into authorizing me an extra 5.56 barrel assembly (not normally sold unless the old barrel is worn out or defective, and then you have to send the complete rifle in and they keep the old barrel) when Ruger discontinued the model. When nothing happened after the CEO told the NC factory to sell me an extra barrel, I called, lucked out with a sympathetic employee who looked to see if authorized and arranged for and sent me a barrel assembly for free. I also ordered some gas piston parts specific to that model to have on hand. It's my favorite AR.

The Blackout bbl is nicely accurate. The 5.56 bbl (that came with the rifle) was so-so...took me lots of experimentation until I could get a load that would group 1 1/2" at 100yd. Typically it went 2-3" at 100yd. Never was able to get it to 1" at 100yd.

Latest posts

Top Bottom