• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    While Sawman went to a field several hundred yards north of me, I sat on top of a tall berm so I could scan a vast area, yet be close enough to ambush hogs if they tried to enter this one peanut field. 11 hogs entered the big field NE of me, a few hundred yards away. I watched them root in the field for awhile until it appeared they might finally be headed towards the peanut field. Climbed down from the berm and headed down a dirt road that goes between the peanut field and the big field, hoping they'd continue coming my way, also this way I could shoot east safely. Every 25 or so yards I'd stop and scan with thermal, yep still in the field, but getting closer. About the 4th time of stopping, all of a sudden, they were right there, as in 15 or so yards away. I quickly aimed at the lead sow through the weeds as she headed for the peanut field, shooting for her shoulder as her head was moving too much for me as she seemed in a hurry, and she ran at being hit. 2 more shots and she was down. Heaviest sow I've ever taken. I call her a hippopotamus sow, as that is what her body reminded me of. FLIR RS32 thermal, 16" 300 Blackout, Nosler 125gr BT hand load, Ark30 suppressor.

See the lump under the skin about 2" below the hand guard in line with my external battery pack? I felt it and cut it open and one of the bullets fired as she ran off was there. I didn't do an autopsy to determine where that bullet entered. I suspect it was the 3rd hit as she spun from the 2nd hit and the bullet hit further forward at an angle. I shoot until it's down.

BECCBB21-4310-46C1-A911-1E7A5E62C97A_4_5005_c.jpeg

2E2D9427-1B62-48BD-B1B1-553C347693E6.jpeg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Farmer should be really pleased. Fat old girl,leading her sounder directly to the peanuts.
    They got to within about 70yds of them.
    I gotta see if I can get up there high one day. Gotta be a great view,especially in the winter months. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another solid hunt! You guys have become the hog whisperer. Great job

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    12 deer in that field that I was in last night. Sometimes up and feeding,sometimes laying down.
    Every now and then all would look in the same direction. Of course,I would too.
    That light that I told Bruce to shoot out over on the tar road is brighter than ever but I had the buggy tucked nicely into the tallish weeds to the E. ---- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Property owner that used to raise hogs for slaughtering said she’d go 220. BTW, the boar you killed the other night that you felt was 120 was estimated by the same owner as 120.

Regarding climbing onto the berm...it is not easy, but it is not hard either. The view is nice compared to the flat Florida landscape. Flat enough on top to use a chair.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We can surely protect his food plot if he would build a "hill" to the E with a ramp for my buggy.
    Make sure you keep telling him how thankful we are to him for allowing us to hunt his property. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom