• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Have a few questions if anyone has any experience here.

Pistol or rifle primers, why and why not? Don't mind reaming brass for rifle primers, but why don't if I don't need to.

Not trying to shoot the hottest hot loads I can, just about average stuff.

wr4611

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've always used Large Rifle Primers in my 458. I load it subsonic, hoping to some day have a suppressor for it. Rifle primers are a little harder than pistol primers.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I finally started loading a little bit. I've used magnum large pistol pretty well so far. Get fairly hot stuff before it start to flatten out. That's my experience anyway

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I wouldn't start reaming the brass out. If it's large pistol leave it as is.

rthmjc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Robert,

Are you willing to share the recipes you are using? I have the components for 458 but have not loaded any yet. I have a RRA 458 Operator that I shoot SBR ammo with. I've purchased Starline brass, CCI #350 LP Magnum, Barnes TTSX 300gr, SBR 350gr TMJ, and several different powders. Thanks.

Last edited:

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Robert,

Are you willing to share the recipes you are using? I have the components for 458 but have not loaded any yet. I have a RRA 458 Operator that I shoot SBR ammo with. I've purchased Starline brass, CCI #350 LP Magnum, Barnes TTSX 300gr, SBR 350gr TMJ, and several different powders. Thanks.
    I haven't figures anything myself really, but I'm more than willing to get together everything I've found and done so far. I've found data for similar bullets to mine, and worked up from near the minimum they listed. It's been a pain to find much for it. I'll get it to you as soon as I can. I have some websites that have been helpful too

rthmjc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Robert,

I'm certainly willing to share everything I have as well. I intend to start hand loading the 458 in the next few weeks. I have SW SBR-SOCOM powder, along with Hodgdon powders, and I have the Shooters World Reloading Guide (https://shootersworldpowder.com/reloading-guide/) that has what I assume is very good data for the SBR-SOCOM powder. However, gaining knowledge from someone who's loaded rounds is always helpful.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I have used H110 and Accurate 1680 with hornady 325 gr FTX. Believe I started 2.8 to 3 grains less than what was listed as max. Don't remember what I used last, it seemed a little but light to me. I'll have to pull one I have left and see. Gun ran pretty slow, brass was about half black after firing. Plan to increase a little and try again tomorrow.

I bought 500 350 gr fmj bullets from everglades, I'm going to load some tonight with H110, Accurate 1680, and CFE black.

Be careful with sierras data for their 300 gr hollow point. Don't remember if it was CFE Black or Accurate 1680 but one of them had pressure signs for me way earlier than I expected

Attachments

• 458 SOCOM 325 ge Hornady FTX_1.jpg
      458 SOCOM 325 ge Hornady FTX_1.jpg
      224.3 KB · Views: 36

rthmjc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Robert,

That's good information to have. I have the Hornday 325gr FTX as well so the chart will be helpful.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Check out the 458 socom forum, can't remember the members name offhand but one of the guys who developed the 458 is pretty present on there. And pretty sure even some of the load data members have developed wound up getting pressure tested.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Check out the 458 socom forum, can't remember the members name offhand but one of the guys who developed the 458 is pretty present on there. And pretty sure even some of the load data members have developed wound up getting pressure tested.
    I had found some of that at one point and saved it, never read through it. Thanks for letting me know.

Hadn't forgot you either. Got busy with work and haven't sat down at the computer to get all my stuff together. I was also wanting to go to the range first so I could see what I've got loaded does

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Wouldn't recommend CFE black and 350 gr FMJ.
    Ran 35.5 to 36.2 gr, pretty low pressure on the lower end. According to the data I had at least. Lots of nasty unburned powder, doesn't seem to get better as you increase though. Enough that every 15 to 20 rounds you have to run a bore snake through it for it to chamber. H110 and Accurate 1680 worked pretty well for less than max loads

rthmjc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wouldn't recommend CFE black and 350 gr FMJ.
    Ran 35.5 to 36.2 gr, pretty low pressure on the lower end. According to the data I had at least. Lots of nasty unburned powder, doesn't seem to get better as you increase though. Enough that every 15 to 20 rounds you have to run a bore snake through it for it to chamber. H110 and Accurate 1680 worked pretty well for less than max loads
    Thanks for the information on using CFE Black. It's interesting that the CFE powders are meant to combat carbon fouling but my use of CFE Pistol has created boatload of dirty cases. I intend to load using the SBR-SOCOM powder first as Shooters world has reload data available for use in their manual. I'm still in the process of gearing up to handload the 458.

We moved to a new location 6 month ago that needed, and still needs, a lot of work. We started working on a range where I can handload and then immediately test. I've never had an opportunity to do that before. Still have a way to go before the range is ready.

Attachments

• IMG_5213.JPG
      IMG_5213.JPG
      659.5 KB · Views: 45

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Thanks for the information on using CFE Black. It's interesting that the CFE powders are meant to combat carbon fouling but my use of CFE Pistol has created boatload of dirty cases. I intend to load using the SBR-SOCOM powder first as Shooters world has reload data available for use in their manual. I'm still in the process of gearing up to handload the 458.

We moved to a new location 6 month ago that needed, and still needs, a lot of work. We started working on a range where I can handload and then immediately test. I've never had an opportunity to do that before. Still have a way to go before the range is ready.
    I will post all the links, screednshots and all of data I have tonight

Top Bottom