• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just viewed the thread on brand loyalty and it got me thinking. I have a Smith as well as a Tarus in 44Mag. Both shoot well and are highly accurate. The Tarus is a lightweight with Titanium cylinder. The Smith is a 629. The issue I'm having is that the Tarus simply refuses to eject fired rounds. I literally have to pound the ejector to get them out after they are fired. Same load is flawless in the Smith. Anyone have any interesting thoughts on the issue aside from loading down for the Tarus? Anyone experienced this on any other wheel gun?

Oh Yes, just remembered. This is the 2nd Tarus Titanium 44 for me. The first one didn't have any issues with the brass not wanting to eject. (It did have some other issues that came up after I gave it to a hunting buddy in Idaho) so it's not a general design issue.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    NEVER,EVER POUND THE EJECTOR !!!
    USE A SMALL WOODEN DOWEL FER CHRIST'S SAKE.
    Polish the chambers. Easy to do with a Dremel,small felt wheel and some red or white POLISHING COMPOUND.
    Try this first. Never heard of a Taurus not ejecting.
    Does the gun have an excessive amount of end shake ?? Is the cylinder hard to open ?? Have you noticed any strange looking drag marks on the cylinder ??
    I would bet that a good cleaning and polish will take care of that problem. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for the thoughts Sawman. I've tried the "buffing/polishing" route already. There were no obvious rough spots even before I did that. No obvious scoring or scratching on the cases, just extremely hard to get to eject. No endshake at all that I can detect.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just viewed the thread on brand loyalty and it got me thinking. I have a Smith as well as a Tarus in 44Mag. Both shoot well and are highly accurate. The Tarus is a lightweight with Titanium cylinder. The Smith is a 629. The issue I'm having is that the Tarus simply refuses to eject fired rounds. I literally have to pound the ejector to get them out after they are fired. Same load is flawless in the Smith. Anyone have any interesting thoughts on the issue aside from loading down for the Tarus? Anyone experienced this on any other wheel gun?
    Just my two cents why don't you hit with little sand paper and polishing compound through there might loosen up some. Not sure will work just wanted throw it out there.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Oh Yes, just remembered. This is the 2nd Tarus Titanium 44 for me. The first one didn't have any issues with the brass not wanting to eject. (It did have some other issues that came up after I gave it to a hunting buddy in Idaho) so it's not a general design issue.
    I had a brand new Taurus Judge do the same thing. I took it to a gunsmith, not Taurus. He measured it and said the cylinder was under bored on the back half, but not the front half. He said that it must have been bored by two different machines and one was either not in spec or not the right caliber. I returned it to the dealer I bought it from. But for a seperate issue. It was a 3" cylinder that wouldn't shoot 3" without jamming. After about the 5th or 6th full cylinder of 410 3" it completely locked up and I couldn't even pull the hammer back.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Anybody have an "inside" micrometer.
    Possibly JJ ??? --- SAWMAN
    Go see Phil. He's the smith at Jay's Guns range in Baker. He can do anything you could ever need or want

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Re. SHOTGUN SHELL'S - ->
    Before and mainly AFTER fireing.
    Some shells are much (0.050 -- 0.150") LONGER than another brand. This can/could/will be a factor during feeding,extracting,and ejecting.
    The MINI SHELLS are a great examlpe.
    NOW ... back to the OP. ---- SAWMAN

Redleg155

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Just curious, have you had this issue with other brands of ammunition or are you using handloads?.....just saw "SAWMAN's" post as I was posting this

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Re. SHOTGUN SHELL'S - ->
    Some shells are much (0.050 -- 0.150") LONGER than another brand. This can/could/will be a factor during feeding,extracting,and ejecting.
    Shell length had nothing to do with that Taurus Judge. It was, is and always will be a piece of crap. Pure and simple. I bought a second Judge years and years later and it did the same thing with 45lc. Locked right up. Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. I bought two S&W Governors afterwards and I had not one single hiccup out of either one while using the same brand ammo as both of those Judges

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Shell length had nothing to do with that Taurus Judge. It was, is and always will be a piece of crap. Pure and simple. I bought a second Judge years and years later and it did the same thing with 45lc. Locked right up. Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. I bought two S&W Governors afterwards and I had not one single hiccup out of either one while using the same brand ammo as both of those Judges
    My friend sold me a Taurus. Sh*t, I need to reassess my circle. Damnit

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don’t get me started on my dealings with Taurus. Both the gun and the customer service suck. You get what you pay for especially now a days. There will never be another Taurus in my custody ever again, I don’t even waist my time looking at them in the gun store.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Re. SHOTGUN SHELL'S - ->
    I'll check the lengths of shell vs length of cyl as well as mic the cyl.

Opps, didn't see the "Re. Shotgun shells" Sorry

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just curious, have you had this issue with other brands of ammunition or are you using handloads?.....just saw "SAWMAN's" post as I was posting this
    Strictly handloads. I have been known to be a bit "lax" on OAL for pistol rounds though. I'll check that too. Doesn't seem to be a likely issue though since there is ample play when loading the rounds into the cyl. No issue shaking out unfired rounds either. Just fired rounds.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Don’t get me started on my dealings with Taurus. Both the gun and the customer service suck. You get what you pay for especially now a days. There will never be another Taurus in my custody ever again, I don’t even waist my time looking at them in the gun store.
    Can certainly understand that :) These 2 Titanium 44s are the only Tarus that i've ever owned and both have had some issues. However, I really really like the weight and the ability to hit exactly where I aim with the gun. That's why i'm trying to rehabilitate it.

Redleg155

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Strictly handloads. I have been known to be a bit "lax" on OAL for pistol rounds though. I'll check that too. Doesn't seem to be a likely issue though since there is ample play when loading the rounds into the cyl. No issue shaking out unfired rounds either. Just fired rounds.
    Seems like it points to "sticky" chambers with brass. I would be curious if you have the same problem with nickel plated.

Top Bottom